Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
Dr. Thomas R Powers has the following 2 specialties
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
Dr. Thomas R Powers has the following 14 expertise
- Migraine Disorders
- Alternative Medicine
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Mood Disorders
- Personality Disorder
- Sleep Disorders
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Depressive Disorder
- Mental Illness
- Bipolar Disorder
Dr. Thomas R Powers has 1 board certified specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Thomas R Powers is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 4 of 22
Dr Powers really cares about his patients. He has saved my wife's life on two occasions. After poor medication selection by other doctors which led to a worsening condition, Dr Powers made an accurate assessment of her condition and developed a treatment plan that was spot on and which returned her to a state of balance.
I saw him in Jan of this year for a psychological evaluation for gastric bypass surgery. I gave him a couple of weeks to prepare the report and send it to the surgeon's office. It never happened. When I called back I was told that my chart had been misplaced. The next time I was told that I needed to fill out a release form, which you would think I would have been given during my initial visit. After that for several months I waited. Finally I requested my $135 to be returned so that I could go to another doctor. He then tried to say that I needed to come in to answer more questions, which if that was the case it would not have taken 4-5 months to tell me that. At this point he was looking for an excuse so as not to pay me because I had filed s small claims case against him. I was beginning to wonder if he needed a psychiatrist himself. He finally returned my money. I have decided to speak up for myself when these doctors do me wrong. Something like this happened to me in 1996 with my vision. It took me until last year but I finally got around to complaining to the optometrists. It will never take me that long again.
- Northwestern University The Feinberg School Of Medicine
Kaiser Permanente Medical Center
Dr. Thomas R Powers accepts the following insurance providers.
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Thomas R Powers, MD - Psychiatry in San Leandro, CA, in this video.
Dr. Thomas R Powers is similar to the following 3 Doctors near San Leandro, CA.