Dr. Thomas Vara Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Thomas Vara?

Excellent Ethical Doctor

Posted on November 1st, 2017

I just had my second surgery by Dr. Vara. One surgery was an appendectomy and the other was removal of a tumor from my breast. I trust this doctor with my life. He is a skilled surgeon and a good man .

Do NOT trust this surgeon

Posted on October 20th, 2017

Vara did a horrible job on a simple hernia repair. First off, I got NO pain medication before surgery other than liquid tylenol and liquid ibprofin which burned like heck in my arm. The nurse could have cared less. He should have repaired a hernia on the one side, instead he cut me right through the middle of my stomach and sewed up both sides somehow causing severe pain on the opposite side. Which makes no sense at all to me unless he messed something up which im convinced he did since im still in pain and its been months since surgery. He refused to give me any pain medication other than Norco even though I have a low tolerance to pain. He also regused to use mesh on my hernia like I had asked him to and then had the balls to say well if my "nip tuck" methed doesnt work we can always go back in and add a piece of mesh. Are you freaking kidding me?! I had several follow up appointments and he kept saying the same thing, it will heal it will get better. No sir, it did not get better. He will feed you his bs and send you on your way not giving two hoots about your well being.

Uncomfortable from step one!

Posted on January 29th, 2016

I'm going to echo another reviewer and say how uncomfortable I felt in this office due to emphasis on wanting your MONEY. nothing like filling out your info on a Tablet, of which they have several to "eliminate paperwork" when it seems clear that it's the patients paying for this technology. They even do you the favor of having a credit card reader attached to your sign-in tablet so you can pay Immediately and never have to interact with a human being. Not to mention that Dr Vara himself gave me the absolute creeps. Never going back there again!

Posted on April 21st, 2015

Dr. Vara was outstanding to diagnose and treat my serious gallbladder condition. Even on Thanksgiving day. I truly appreciate it. His follow up during my 10 days in the hospital was outstandinghe also had a great time after surgery and taking care of me when I worried about what had gone on.

Great surgeon!

Posted on January 17th, 2014

Dr. Vara is extremely knowledgeable, skilled, and compassionate. Although gallbladder removals are routine for surgeons, it was still an important and scary thing for me, the patient. He explained everything, answered all of my questions, and made me feel comfortable throughout the entire experience. The staff and others involved in my care at the hospital were great as well. Highly recommend!

Very Disappointed

Posted on May 5th, 2013

Dr. Vera was the general surgeon for my spinal fusion. The orthopedic surgeon was successful with the fusion. Dr. Vera damaged a nerve in my leg but told me that it was the orthopedic surgeon but he told my primary that he may have done it. I went to him on several occasions because not only was the nerve damage in my leg causing severe pain but he also had damaged my oblique muscle causing a huge bulge on one side. He refused to discuss it with me and told me to go see a plastic surgeon. I went to two plastic surgeons but neither of them would touch it. Dr. Vera left me with nerve damage and a huge bulge on my left side and now I am considered totally disabled due to Dr. Vera's surgical skills!!

Posted on July 14th, 2012

I have been a patient of Dr. Vara's since his residency days at Mt.Carmel which is at least 25 years. He has performed about 7 breast biopsys and has done 4 major surgeries for me. He is just an excellent doctor. He is caring and always concerned about the patient. He's never to busy to take the time to discuss any concerns you may have and to ease your worries. I would and have recommended him many times. Can't say enough good things about him. Just a wonderful, wonderful person and doctor.

Excellent doctor

Posted on July 2nd, 2012

I give Dr. Vara the highest recommendation. His caring manner and excellent interaction with me as his patient during a very difficult time in my life was a huge part of my successful mental and physical recuperation in 2009. I am now facing another surgery (thyroid) in a week and am confident that this surgery will go as the last one did...a quick and minimally painful recuperation.

Posted on May 16th, 2012

I was nervous about having surgery and Dr. Vara was aware of that. He has a wonderful bedside manner, very caring. He took time to answer my questions. I highly recommend Dr. Vara.

Outstanding Surgeon

Posted on May 21st, 2011

I have trusted this surgeon with my life and would do so again. I would trust those whom I love most to his care. When he felt if was best to include a more specialized sugeon in my case, he did so. While I have to credit God with directing the hands and brain of this doctor, I feel that his skill and good judgement enabled me to recover from a very difficult thyroid surgery faster than I might have with any other surgeon. One week to the day after having my sternum opened, much the same as is required for open heart surgery, I did 45 minutes of cardio in a fitness center. I also experienced practically no pain, only minor soreness.

Posted on March 30th, 2010

The only thing I didn't like.. is that Dr. Vara charged me for removing my staples and some drainage I had BECAUSE of my surgery. He told me EVERYTHING pertaining to the surgery would be INCLUDED. I received a $300.00 invoice stating - removing the staples was another surgery and charged me again for another surgery for pumping the little drainage he removed. I thought this was part of the surgery?? Last time I had my hernia removed, 6 years ago.. it was included. I never knew that removing the staples and drainage was considered surgery in his office. I don't think I should be paying the $300.00 but my insurance said he coded it as surgery and I have to pay for the removal of the staples and drainage. Has everyone else been charged for that? Next time Dr. Vara, BEFORE the surgery, should let us know there will be a charge for the removal, of the staples and drainage.

Dr.