Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Acne Important facts about acne and what causes it.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Thornton S Mckinney Jr
Dr. Thornton S Mckinney Jr, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Columbia, SC, with another office in Columbia, SC. He has 25 years of experience. His specialties include Adolescent Medicine and Psychiatry. Dr. Mckinney is affiliated with Palmetto Health Baptist Medical Center. He speaks English.
Dr. Thornton S Mckinney Jr has the following 2 specialties
- Adolescent Medicine
Adolescent specialists are doctors who have advanced training in the health issues that adolescents face. These physicians deal with issues like the onset of puberty, reproductive health, eating disorders, irregular periods, mood changes, drugs and pressures from home and school. For girls entering adulthood, adolescent specialists can act as both pediatrician and gynecologist, so they only have to see one doctor for all their needs.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
Dr. Thornton S Mckinney Jr has the following 12 expertise
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Depressive Disorder
- Birth Control
- Substance Abuse
- Bipolar Disorder / Manic Depressive Disorder
- Sleep Disorders
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Eating Disorders
Dr. Thornton S Mckinney Jr has 0 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Showing 5 of 7
Both of my daughters see Dr. McKinney for treatment of their ADHD. Dr. McKinney quickly diagnosed each of my girls and placed them on medication. We saw an immediate difference in school performance, grades, and overall behavior. Dr. McKinney slowly took the dosage up until the girls found their correct dose (which is different for each girl). My daughters adore Dr. McKinney and his office staff. Especially "Miss Julie". They actually ask when can they go back for an appointment! As an RN who specializes in psychiatry, I appreciate Dr. McKinney's cautios attitide toward medication. I highly recommend Dr. McKinney. My husband and I are so thankful for his care of our children.
Dr. Mckinney is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
25 Years Experience
Ross University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1993
Dr. Thornton S Mckinney Jr accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
Locations & Directions
Dr. Thornton S Mckinney Jr is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Columbia, SC.