Get the facts about lung cancer, including how many people get it and what increases your risk for developing it.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Lung Cancer Get lung cancer facts, including risk for developing it.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Adult Asthma Facts for adult asthma, including triggers & how allergies affect it.
- Allergic Asthma Facts about allergic asthma; who gets it & the most common symptoms.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Childhood Asthma Childhood asthma facts, including causes, symptoms & complications.
- Coronary Heart Disease Get the facts about coronary heart disease.
- Cystic Fibrosis Facts about cystic fibrosis, including the symptoms of the condition.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Tom M Birkenmeier has the following 2 specialties
- Pulmonary Disease
A pulmonologist is a physician who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of conditions related to the lungs and respiratory tract.
These specialists are similar to critical care specialists in that their patients often require mechanical ventilation to assist their breathing.
Pulmonologists diagnose and treat patients with conditions such as asthma, cystic fibrosis, asbestosis, pulmonary fibrosis, lung cancer, COPD, and emphysema. Exposure and inhalation of certain toxic substances may also warrant the services of a pulmonologist.
Some of the tools and tests pulmonologists use to diagnose a patient are a stethoscope in order to listen for abnormal breathing sounds, chest X-rays, CT scans, blood tests, bronchoscopy, and polysomnography.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Chest Infection
- Angiographic Visualization
- Tuberculosis (TB)
Showing 3 of 3
My brief history to understand my situation; AF VET diagnosed and out-processed from Active Duty due to diagnosis of narcolepsy. I was transferred to the Bronze clinic at the STL VA Hospital after seeing Neurology 3 times and each time, they said they had no record of me. Furthermore, Neurology staff was reluctant to prescribe medication I had already been taking when active duty. I WENT 18 MONTHS without NEEDED medication due to this lack of attention. Then I was changed to Dr. Birkenmeier's care. He reviewed my history and started treating me immediately. Honestly, it changed my life (finally having meds to keep me awake)! Since then, every time I see him I feel as if I am his only patient due to the attention received. I wish I could nominate him for some award!
36 Years Experience
Washington University In St Louis School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1982
Barnes Jewish Hospital
Dr. Tom M Birkenmeier accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsVA St. Louis Health Care System - John Cochran Division, 915 N Grand Blvd, Saint Louis, MO
Dr. Tom M Birkenmeier is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Saint Louis, MO.