Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Colorectal Cancer Facts about Colorectal cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Tonya L Adams
Dr. Tonya L Adams, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Fairfax, VA, with other offices in Chantilly, VA and Sterling, VA . She has 23 years of experience. Her specialties include Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine. Dr. Adams is affiliated with Inova Fairfax Hospital. Dr. Adams has received 3 awards. She speaks English.
Dr. Tonya L Adams has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Tonya L Adams has the following 12 expertise
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- Hepatitis C
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Celiac Disease
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Abdominal Pain
Dr. Tonya L Adams has 1 board certified specialty
Dr. Tonya L Adams is Board Certified in 1 specialty
Showing 5 of 23
I had been waiting for a test result that Dr. Adam's ordered and her opinion/report about my medical issue for over a month, despite my follow up calls. Finally, I asked her assistant to send the Dr.âs report to my primary physician and I was told she would not issue a report. I visited this doctor to get her opinion, but received nothing and I only wasted my time and money.
It has been 6 days since an urgently ordered test was run. The results were faxed over to her office the day of the test yet no one has bothered to call me with the results despite 4 messages left. In desperation, I retrieved the results myself and had another physician go over them with me on Friday before the weekend. It is now the end of the work day Monday, and I still haven't heard from them. Thank goodness I learned there is nothing serious going on, but that doesn't excuse the lack of follow-up on a matter that could have been very serious.
Dr Adams is a thorough clinician who listens and tries to help. As many of the reviews point out, the office is a major problem. Plus Adams wants you to meet with her PA a lot rather than her. Appts are impossible to get in a normal amount of time. They schedule colonoscopies without a meeting with the doc first. I always was rushed and they were always late. My internist did tests, found out I had a parasite, and Adams sent me a letter saying I was fine after a review of the results! Oops on her! Went to an infectious disease doc who treated me for the parasite. Unfortunately I can't go back to Adams because it's too much stress dealing with the office and trying to get to her. Fairly unimpressive when I consider the parasite situation.
Patients' Choice Award (2010, 2012, 2018)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2010, 2011, 2012, 2018)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctors
Castle Connolly is America's trusted source for the identification of Top Doctors. Their physician-led research team reviews and screens the credentials of tens of thousands of physicians who are nominated by their peers annually, via a nationwide online process, before selecting those physicians who are regionally or nationally among the very best in their medical specialties. Castle Connolly believes strongly that Top Doctors Make a Difference™.
Dr. Adams is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
23 Years Experience
Ohio State University College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1995
Georgetown University Medical Center
Dr. Tonya L Adams accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Select
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
Aetna Innovation Health
- Aetna VA Signature Gold HMO
- Anthem HealthKeepers HMO POS
- Anthem KeyCare PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CareFirst BlueChoice Advantage
- CareFirst BluePreferred PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry - Bon Secours Tier 2
- Coventry - Southside Tier 2
- Coventry DE PPO
- Coventry Southern Health PPO
- Coventry Virginia - HMO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Optimum Choice Preferred POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Tonya L Adams in this video.
Dr. Tonya L Adams is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Fairfax, VA.