Dr. Ulla K Laakso Is this you?

2.4

Neutral

Have you seen Dr. Ulla K Laakso?

From MD to MD- Psychologically harmful

I saw Dr. Laakso 15 years ago and still have a pit in my stomach thinking about that visit. I just googled her as I needed to see what people were saying about her after all these years. Maybe she has been helpful for those with actual bipolar disorder (thus the explanation for positive reviews) but for those without it, she is mean spirited, self serving and almost emotionally abusive. I was a medical resident at the time of my visit and was referred to her for anxiety. As others have said, she forces everyone to have a bipolar diagnosis. That's her area of interest and to a hammer all the worlds a nail. I knew that I didn't meet the criteria for bipolar disorder but she insisted that I watch that video of people talking about their bipolar disorder. She asked that I check off of a list, all of the symptoms that applied to me as I watched the video. When I came back with an empty check list, she scolded me like a child and insisted that some of the symptoms MUST apply to me and that I MUST go back in and watch it again. When I again came back with an empty list, she was furious and dismissive. It was demoralizing. As a physician, I would hate for someone to unfairly post bad reviews on the internet, but the impact she left on me was so strong that I needed to write this review therapeutically and to protect others. Years later, my anxiety is controlled by maturity and learning of coping skills and still have had none of the symptoms which she insisted that I needed to have. I am all for treating bipolar disorder with medication when that is the actual diagnosis, but do yourself a favor and please have your assessment done by someone else.

I've been seeing Dr. Laakso for about 9 years. When I first moved to NYC, I was having some concerning symptoms. She told me that I was taking too much medication and lowered my dose right away. She encouraged me as to how healthy I was and suggested lifestyle modifications instead of just prescribing more medications. For years now, I've been going to bed early, rising early and exercising outside in the sunlight all year. These lifestyle modifications were so life changing and life enhancing. I wish that more psychiatrists looked at lifestyle and had a more holistic approach to helping patients achieve the best mental health. She has been so encouraging over the years and always reassured me. I also greatly appreciate the early morning appointments and that fact that she is always on time. I'm grateful to have found her and not looking forward to her retirement one day.

Ulla Lakso misdiagnosed me and overprescribed meds for years

Ulla Lakso is a dangerous psychiatrist. She misdiagnosed me and concocted a "cocktail" of drugs for me that had my hands shaking and and feeling like I was watching my life go by from the sidelines. When I found another psychiatrist, she never called to find out what happened - despite the number of drugs she had me taking.

She is terrific. I am a psychiatric social worker for + 20 years; Dr Laakso is knowledgeble and supportive.

Horrible

Wow, I was just checking to see if this woman is still practicing & can't believe she is. In 2007 I was referred to her as I was suffering anxiety attacks. She sat me in a small room to take a kind of test for Bipolar syndrome. I told her I had been diagnosed in early 90's as clinically depressed due to a chemical imbalance but she insisted I was bipolar & prescribed Depakote. Each time I saw her, she added a new prescription on top of the previous ones until "we could find the perfect cocktail of prescriptions" for me. The last straw was when she prescribed Lithium; I felt I was going out of my mind by then & feeling suicidal. I called to make an appointment to see her asap & was told to see her two days away & when I told whoever answered the call that I was feeling suicidal, she said I'd still need to wait two days to see her. Not once was I told to go to an emergency room if feelings persisted. I ended up trying to take my life & thankfully my mom & sister had a key to my apartment & knew I wasn't feeling right and decided to pop in and check on me. They found me unconscious & took me to the hospital where I was finally treated properly & am doing very well on ONE single prescription for my depression, Lexapro. The doctors that saw me at the hospital couldn't believe all the drugs she had me take. Shame on her!

Horrible Experience

Kathy the receptionist is so rude - clearly when booking an appt w the doc the patients are fragile. Dealing w a rude receptionist does not make seeing the doc easy or comfortable. How has she been able to keep a job there?

Minorities Beware

If your a minority don't bother going to this doctor unless your looking for verbal abuse all under the guise of helping you. She is nasty, arrogant and likes to make you feel like she is doing you a favor. She is unprofessional and behaves like she is on a mission since she is more educated than you are.

Caring and knowledgable

I am mystified by the negative comments. Dr. Laakso has been extremely helpful in dealing with my bipolar illness. When I first began seeing her two years ago, she switched medications and I saw immediate improvement. She is caring and knowledgeable. I think it is important to realize that the occasional disgruntled patient is far more likely to post a comment than the many, many patients that Dr. Laakso has helped.

Basically a factory because most reputable psychiatrists in NYC do not take insurance. It's the only reason I went to her. I would strongly advice finding anyone else.

a DISAPPOINTING dR VISIT

i will not take a perscription from a Dr who sees me for no more than 15 minutes. She could not wait to rush off to a luncheon. I have never been so disappointed in a Dr, visit. It wasn:t worth the trip

Terrible!!!

Everyone she sees gets a bipolar diagnosis and treatment with depakote.It's a miracle she still has a license.She's dangerous. Avoid her at all costs!

worst doctor ever............

This doctor should have her license revoked. She is not compassionate at all, prescribes drugs like they are candy and changes doses and type of meds weekly. This doctor has had me on a roller coaster ride for the last year. Recently I admitted myself to a psychiatric clinic and got the help I needed, Laakso could not have been further from a correct diagnosis. What makes it worse is that she gives off a feeling of complete carelessness towards her patients. I will never ever go back to this doctor. I am well on my way to feeling much better since getting the help and diagnosis I needed. I hope this review gives you something to think about and that you dont waste a year of your life like I did.

Dr. Ulla K Laakso is similar to the following 3 Doctors near New York, NY.