Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Asthma More than 22 million Americans suffer from asthma. Get the facts.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Childhood Asthma Childhood asthma facts, including causes, symptoms & complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Grass Pollen Allergy Get the facts about grass pollen Allergy.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Valerie Y Abbott
Dr. Valerie Y Abbott, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Southfield, MI, with another office in Southfield, MI. She has 26 years of experience. Her specialties include Pediatrics and Internal Medicine. Dr. Abbott is affiliated with DMC Children's Hospital of Michigan, Hutzel Womens Hospital and DMC Detroit Receiving Hospital - University Health Center. Dr. Abbott has received 2 awards. She speaks English.
Dr. Valerie Y Abbott has the following 2 specialties
A pediatrician is a doctor who specializes in the regular care of children, as well as the diagnosis and treatment of illness in children. Young patients are often more complicated to treat because they are still growing and developing.
While pediatricians may sub-specialize in specific therapy areas like oncology, surgery, ophthalmology, and anesthesiology, in general, pediatricians provide services like vaccinations, health exams, and treatment of common ailments and injuries. In addition, pediatricians are trained to handle the complex emotional and behavioral issues faced by children, especially during puberty.
Pediatricians normally see their patients from birth until the age of 18, although some may agree to treat patients into their early 20s, if requested.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Lead Poisoning
- Adolescent Medicine
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Contact Dermatitis
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Bell's Palsy
- Primary Headache Disorders
- STD (Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
- Inflammation of the Vulva and Vagina (Vulvovaginitis)
- Kidney Disease
- Heart Failure
- Nasal Allergy (Rhinitis)
- Weight Loss
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 26
I at one point had Dr. Abbott. ..as my primary care physician. I was blown away by her professionalism and ability to help patients. I moved from the area and upon returning I immediately looked her up. I was so disgusted with her front desk guy and the entirety of my experience. ..I wouldn't recommend them to a dying dog.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2014, 2016)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2014)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Dr. Abbott is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
26 Years Experience
Ohio State University College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1992
Wayne State University School Of Medicine
Dr. Valerie Y Abbott accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS IL PPO
- BCBS MI PPO Plans Group Enrollees
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- HAP Preferred PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Dr. Valerie Y Abbott is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Southfield, MI.