Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Vern A Metcalf has the following 1 specialty
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Weight Loss
- Wound Infection
- Weight Loss (non-surgical)
Showing 5 of 19
Dr. Metcalf has been the primary care physician for our family since we moved here 10 years ago. In my experience he is a caring, calm physician, who spends time with each patient, and is very thorough. If you need tests he orders them. If you need follow-up or a referral, he helps schedule it. In short, he is a super care-giver supported by a great staff. I would recommend him to anyone.
Dr. Metcalf Really listens to your issues he is very patient and understanding. Vern is NOT arrogant like most doctors. Most doctor visits give me anxiety. I hate going to any doctor, but this is not the case with Vern.Truly always a good experience every time I go see him. By far one of the nicest doctors out there!!! The front desk ladies are always so nice...
Each time I have had the need to see Dr. Metcalf he always listens to me when I tell him my symptons and runs test to verify if needed and treats me if needed then will follow up. If he reaches the decision he needs to send me to a specialist he does. I think I have always received the most competent of health care from Dr. Metcalf
Patients' Choice Award (2012, 2011, 2010, 2013, 2009, 2008, 2014)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2011, 2014, 2013, 2012)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Patients' Choice 5th Anniversary Award (2012, 2013, 2014)
The Patients' Choice Award - 5 Year Honoree is a recognition granted only to those doctors whose ratings have reflected excellence in care for five years in a row. Only 1% of all doctors in the United States are bestowed this honor by their patients.
22 Years Experience
St Georges University
Graduated in 1996
East Carolina University School Of Medicine
Dr. Vern A Metcalf accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
BCBS North Carolina
- BCBS NC Blue Value
- BCBS NC BlueOptions
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry Carelink - Carolinas HealthCare System Tier 2
- First Health PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsOuter Banks Dermatology, 2518 S Croatan Hwy Ste B, Nags Head, NC
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Vern A Metcalf in this video.
Dr. Vern A Metcalf is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Nags Head, NC.