Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
Dr. Verna R Porter has the following 2 specialties
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
Dr. Verna R Porter has the following 21 expertise
- Sleep Disorders
- Facial Pain
- Dementia Related Behavioral Disorders
- Nerve Conduction Studies
- Guillain-Barre Syndrome
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Memory Disorders
- Migraine Disorder
- Geriatric Medicine
- Migraine Disorders
- Movement Disorders
- Primary Headache Disorders
- Alzheimer's Disease
Dr. Verna R Porter has 0 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Showing 5 of 31
I was referred to Dr. Porter and have now spent a month and a half trying schedule an appointment. I dealt Ronald, who showed little interest in the office having any new patients. Called up multiple times and got the same arrogant attitude. He indicated that the office was waiting on paperwork several times yet not once did I get a call indicating this was the case. Oh, and DO NOT SAY "Second Opinion" when calling unless you're ready for a verbal scolding. Clearly, this review is not complete as I have yet to see Dr. Porter. However, I am not impressed with the lack of professionalism displayed by their office. Perhaps others will have better luck. Feel Bette All.
Dr. Porter ordered a blood test and MRI but I explained I was unable to pay for expensive services right now because of my financial situation. So I didn't get the MRI but I asked how much the blood test would cost and the doctor said "not expensive, $200 at the most". The bill was $950. This is totally inaccurate and unprofessional considering I communicated I was financially unable to pay for expensive services.
Dr. Porter is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
- Emory University School Of Medicine
Ucla Medical Center
Dr. Verna R Porter accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Savings Plus of CA
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
- Blue Cross CA Vivity
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsUCLA Santa Monica Neurological Services, 1801 Wilshire Blvd Ste 100, Santa Monica, CA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Verna R Porter, MD - Neurology in Santa Monica, CA, in this video.
Dr. Verna R Porter is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Santa Monica, CA.