Dr. Victoriano Romero Is this you?

3.4

Have you seen Dr. Victoriano Romero?

First visit

My appointment with Dr. Romero was for treatment of a bladder problem that was previously diagnosed by my family doctor. As the visit progressed I quickly found that the doctor had thoroughly reviewed the ultrasound and doctors notes done previously. He showed me the images on the office computer and went over the treatment options. We agreed that he needed to put a scope into my bladder thru the urethra to get a current, up close, view of the growth on the bladder wall. This was done very professionally as I watched the whole process on the screen. He thoroughly explained the condition that I had and after this process was over we discussed the need for surgery to remove the growth. Throughout this visit I found Dr. Romero to be very knowledgeable and professional. He set me up for surgery ASAP. Following this visit the office staff was very prompt with communicating with me what I needed to do to prepare or the pending surgery. Dr. Romero will be doing the surgery. I am confident that he will do a good job.

I was humiliated

Dr. Romero, I recently had to go to the emergency room because something embarrassing and humiliating happened to me. I cried through telling the doctor and the nurses there what happened and had to endure their disbelieving looks and criticism. I sat in my room as the on call doctor basically yelled the details of my ordeal along with my first and last name to you. I was told that you could help me and would. All I would have to do was to go to your office. I was relieved because you sounded like you were concerned and honestly wanted to help. When I called your office, it was clear that everyone was well aware of my situation. When I went in, everyone was very short with me. I sat in the room waiting for you and I heard you call me “urethra girl” like I wasn’t a real person. You called me that without any consideration that I was terrified or humiliated. Without any care that I had been treated like trash all day long because of a freak accident. Then you came in and called me a liar. You said that you heard my account of things and didn’t believe it for one second. The only reason I didn’t speak up and tell you what I thought was because I was afraid that you wouldn’t help me and then I would have to tell another doctor and his staff about it. You took an oath to do no harm but you have harmed my heart and my soul. I needed help but I got ridicule. I chose to not go to Mercy because I am an employee there. If I knew of any of my physicians there treating a patient the way I was treated, I would say this. “Shame on you, for the judgment you have cast. Shame on you for questioning what the truth is when you had no desire to know the truth or the repercussions of the situation. I will tell you this; I am a pastor’s wife. I have my bachelors degree in healthcare management and my second bachelors degree in bible theology. I am not on welfare. I am not homeless. I am not desperate for attention. I don’t know what you thought I was up to but it is reprehensible for you to cast judgment on someone in pain and scared. I’m sure you laughed at me when I left and made all kinds of jokes. I hope that makes you feel like a man. A real man would have shown compassion for the weeping. You were a disgusting example of what a doctor should be. You made me lose faith in the mission of doctors everywhere. I will not refer to you and I will make sure that everyone knows that you are the most insensitive physician and to steer clear. In that moment, I had no choice but to choose you but I will make sure that those who have an option choose someone else. How can you be so callous?