Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetes Diabetes facts and the differences between the different types.
- Diabetic Hyperlipidemia Get all of the facts about diabetic hyperlipidemia.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- High Blood Pressure Facts about high blood pressure; its causes and complications.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Vijay Kumar
Dr. Vijay Kumar, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Bloomington, IL. He has 22 years of experience. His specialties include Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism and Internal Medicine. Dr. Kumar is affiliated with OSF St Joseph Medical Center. He speaks English.
Book Online Now
Dr. Vijay Kumar has the following 2 specialties
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
An endocrinologist is a physician with extensive training in understanding, diagnosing and treating conditions related to the endocrine system. The endocrine system regulates the balance of hormones.
Conditions of the endocrine system involve an over-abundance, or deficiency of a certain hormone. While there is a range when it comes to the amount of a hormone that is deemed normal in a human, these specialists determine whether a person's amount of hormone is indicative of a health concern. Two conditions this specialist might treat are diabetes and obesity.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.<br>These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Vijay Kumar has the following 15 expertise
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- Diabetes (Types I & II)
- High Cholesterol (Hypercholesterolemia)
- Gland Issues
- Addison Disease
- Cushing Disease
- Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS)
- Unstable Angina
- Heart Block
Dr. Vijay Kumar is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 3 of 3
Self-verified patient of Dr. Vijay Kumar - Posted on May 11th, 2017
Self-verified patient of Dr. Vijay Kumar - Posted on September 20th, 2016
Nice enough, but doesn't listen to you
Self-verified patient of Dr. Vijay Kumar - Posted on June 7th, 2013
I see Dr. Kumar for thyroid issues, and he came highly recommended. It took 14 months of saying my med wasn't helping before I was able to force the issue and get it changed. He has been trying to change it back ever since, even making a note in my chart that he intended to revert. It's a constant battle, and he is not interested in hearing what I have to say about how I'm feeling, or about the research I have done into my condition and/or medications. I have never received test results without calling the office and asking to have them mailed to me. Despite repeated requests, I'm just now getting a simple test run that I've been asking for for nearly 2 years. I'm currently looking for a new doctor who is more interested in me as their patient.
Patients' Choice Award (2018)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2018)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Dr. Kumar is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
22 Years Experience
Patna Medical College
Graduated in 1996
Suny Health Science Center
Dr. Vijay Kumar Accepts the Following Insurance
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS IL PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Health Alliance HMO/POS
- Health Alliance PPO
- Humana National HMO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsOSF MEDICAL GROUP, 1701 E College Ave, Bloomington, IL
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Vijay Kumar, MD - Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism in Bloomington, IL, in this video.
Dr. Vijay Kumar is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Bloomington, IL.