Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Colorectal Cancer Facts about Colorectal cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. William Carey
Dr. William Carey, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Cleveland, OH. He has 48 years of experience. His specialties include Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine. Dr. Carey is affiliated with Cleveland Clinic Children's Hospital for Rehabilitation, Cleveland Clinic Hospital and CCHS Cleveland Clinic. He speaks English.
Dr. William Carey has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. William Carey has the following 29 expertise
- Abdominal Pain
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Celiac Disease
- Chronic Hepatitis C
- Colonic Polyps
- Endoscopy (Endoscopic Surgery)
- Esophageal and Gastric Varices
- Gallstones (Cholelithiasis)
- Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Gastrointestinal Hemorrhage
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- Hepatolenticular Degeneration
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Liver Cancer
- Liver Cirrhosis
- Liver Cirrhosis (Biliary)
- Liver Diseases
- Liver Transplantation
- Portal Hypertension
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
- Ulcerative Colitis
Dr. William Carey has 2 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. William Carey is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 7
When I came to Dr. Carey I was very sick (self inflicted from alcohol}. He made me feel safe.. never once did he make me feel judged. Basically his attitude was okay here we are...lets see what we need to do. He was kind, sincere, listened to me and kept me from loosing hope. If it wasn't for his gentle spirit and kind heart I would have been too ashamed to confide the truth to him. Afraid he would thinks the worse of me. (because I already did of myself). I trust my life in his hands and wisdom. Thank you Dr. Carey!!!!
Was referred to The Cleveland Clinic gastro department after my physicians in my home town were having a hard time diagnosing my issues even considering several of my lab test and liver biopsy results were abnormal. This was a very concerning time for my family and I. After traveling to Cleveland Clinic several times to see Dr. Carey he always had another hoop he would want me to jump through with another Doctor before he "could proceed". Dr Carey never followed through after I followed his instructions. Said I will just have to live with things the way they are and did not proceed with any of his own testing (Ercp) that he said earlier needed done(after hoops were jumped through). luckily, a year later a GOOD Doctor from my home town connected the dots and performed a procedure finding the problem. Dr Carey was arrogant and only friendly if you don't question him and just shake your head yes. Goes to show there are good and bad doctors just as there is good and bad in any profession.
I felt like giving up the search for a doctor when I meet Dr. William D. Carey. I truly believe he sees me as a person and not just another patient. His bedside manner and clear explanations made me comfortable. I went forward with procedures I would have preferred to avoid. I am not cured but I know what my situation is and what to do about it. I have hope, a great doctor, and a plan for going forward. I will continue to recommend Dr. William D. Carey to all my family, friends, and acquaintances.
Dr. Carey is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
CCHS Cleveland Clinic
48 Years Experience
Tufts University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1968
Mayo Clinic And Medical School
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & DirectionsTHE CLEVELAND CLINIC, 9500 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, OH
Take a minute to learn about Dr. William Carey in this video.
Dr. William Carey is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Cleveland, OH.