Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Urinary Incontinence The symptoms and causes of urinary incontinence or urge incontinence.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Atrial Fibrillation Facts about atrial fibrillation, including symptoms and risk factors.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. William F Schirmer
Dr. William F Schirmer, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Portland, ME. He has 38 years of experience. His specialties include Geriatric Medicine and Family Medicine. Dr. Schirmer is affiliated with Maine Medical Center and Mercy Hospital State Street Campus. He speaks English.
Dr. William F Schirmer has the following 2 specialties
- Geriatric Medicine
A geriatric specialist is a physician who treats the elderly population and the conditions that most commonly affect them. These doctors have special training in the effects of aging on the body and mind of a patient.
Geriatric specialists treat common ailments faced by senior citizens, such as frailty, incontinence, memory problems, arthritis, senility, decreased functioning and more.
In addition, geriatric specialists keep abreast of the different medications that an elderly person is prescribed to treat their more complex health issues in order to decrease adverse side effects and avoid dangerous drug interactions.
- Family Medicine
A family practitioner is a doctor who specializes in caring for people of all ages, at all stages of life. Rather than focusing on the treatment of one disease or patient population, family practitioners are often the doctors that people see for their everyday ailments, like cold and flu or respiratory infections, and health screenings. When necessary, family practitioners will provide referrals for conditions that require the expertise of another specialist.
The doctors may also provide physicals, inoculations, prenatal care, treat chronic diseases, like diabetes and asthma, and provide advice on disease prevention.
Dr. William F Schirmer has the following 13 expertise
- Family Planning
- Heart Failure
- Heart Diseases
- Diabetes Complications
- Weight Loss
- Weight Loss (non-surgical)
Dr. William F Schirmer is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 3 of 3
Couldn't ask for a better doctor. Have been going to him for years for all our medical needs. Highly professional, while being compassionate and caring. Makes you feel like a person and that your health really matters to him. He's knowlegeable in all areas of health care and I would highly recommend him to anyone. Thank you Dr. Schirmer.
Dr. Schirmer is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
38 Years Experience
Georgetown University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1980
Maine Medical Center
Dr. William F Schirmer accepts the following insurance providers.
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & DirectionsMartins Point Health Care Portland, 331 Veranda St Ste 1, Portland, ME
Dr. William F Schirmer is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Portland, ME.