As your asthma is diagnosed, treated and managed, your care team may include the following doctors and specialists:

Allergist: A pediatrician or internist who has taken additional training to qualify as a specialist in allergy and immunology. An allergist specializes in allergies, asthma, and allergic asthma.

Pulmonologist: A specialist in respiratory diseases. Some pulmonologists may get additional board certification in critical-care medicine.

Pulmonary Rehabilitation Therapist: While not a physician, this nurse or respiratory therapist is trained in pulmonary rehabilitation techniques and can help educate on how to manage asthma and its symptoms.

General family physicians or pediatricians with internal medicine training can also be an important part of your or your child's asthma care team.

Find a family physician or pediatrician near you