People with fibromyalgia often see many doctors and specialists for diagnosis and treatment of their condition. Those providers may include:

Primary care doctors: Your primary care doctor may be a family practice physician or an internal medicine doctor. Primary care doctors usually treat fibromyalgia.

Rheumatologist: You may see this specialist if your symptoms are hard to manage or if you also have arthritis or lupus. Rheumatologists focus on diseases of the bones, joints, tendons and muscles.

Pain management physician: This doctor, who usually works at a pain management clinic, provide various treatment options to decrease pain.

People with fibromyalgia may also want to see providers who help manage other problems related to fibromyalgia, including:

  • Psychologists and psychiatrists, to manage emotional stress
  • Holistic practitioners, to provide alternative therapies like massage, acupuncture or meditation for stress reduction
  • Physical therapists, to help with rehabilitation and daily functioning
  • Chiropractors to try non-surgical therapies like spinal manipulation for pain and stiffness
  • Nurse practitioners, to focus on patient education and treatment choices