Preparing a set of questions for discussion at your consultation will help you understand what to expect and how you will be proceeding for diagnosis and treatment.
Questions About My Diagnosis
- What leads you to believe that I have lung cancer? Are there other conditions that mimic the same symptoms?
- What caused this condition?
- How extensive is my lung cancer? How bad is my condition?
- Which pulmonary tests do I need?
- Do I need an MRI or CAT scan of my lungs to confirm the diagnosis?
- What is my prognosis?
- What type of lung cancer is it?
- Is this condition curable?
- Will it affect my other vital organs?
Questions About My Treatment
- What medication will I be prescribed for my condition?
- What are the side effects of the drugs?
- Do I need surgery?
- Will I be carrying an oxygen tank?
- Is there a clinical trial that has newer treatments that I can participate in?
Questions About My Lifestyle and Family
- Is this hereditary?
- Can you help me to stop smoking with medication or other methods?
- Would nicotine replacement therapy affect my condition?
- Can I go out with a portable oxygen tank? What precautions should I take? What precautions should my family take?
- Will I still be able to work?
- Can I still have intimacy?
- Can I sleep lying flat or do I need a special bed?
- Is there a special diet I should be on?
- Are there support groups that I can attend?