The following doctors and specialists may help diagnose and manage osteoporosis. When looking for providers, see if your local hospital has an osteoporosis clinic or center and ask for referrals.

Here are the doctors who are likely to make up your osteoporosis care team:

  • Primary Care Physician: Manages the overall health of a patient and often acts as a liaison to specialists. PCPs are usually the first doctor a patient will see.
  • Gynecologist: Concentrates on the health of the female genital system and associated conditions. They often work as primary care doctors for women.
  • Endocrinologist: Focuses on glands and hormones, which control the body’s metabolism. They will diagnose and treat any underlying condition that may be contributing to osteoporosis.
  • Rheumatologist: Focuses on diseases of the bones, joints, tendons and muscles. They are often seen to rule out rheumatoid arthritis in osteoporosis patients.
  • Geriatrician: Focuses on health and diseases in elderly patients.
  • Orthopedist: Focuses on the health of the musculoskeletal system.
  • Physiatrist: Concentrates on rehabilitation therapy and physical medicine to restore the normal functions of the patient.

Depending on your overall health and other conditions, you might see additional specialists. Your care team will work together to ensure that your osteoporosis is managed effectively.