Neurologist (brain, nervous system)

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore. Yahoo.
 |  What Migraines?  |  show details
by Allison L. on Jul 9th, 2013

I have been working with Dr. Blumenfeld to help me manage my migraines for over 6 years. After his help my migraines went from daily to almost none at all. I truly trust his expertise and recommend him to everyone I know!

|  He's superman and all women are neurotic idiots or drug seekers  |  show details
by T R on May 1st, 2013

This is the kind of Doc that give neurology a bad anme! I had to see him twice, once for migraine abortive lidocaine injections and once for a second migraine emergency. He came in to do the lidocaine nerve block injections (doc Chippendale was out), barely spoke a word to me, except to say "ok honey - this is gonna hurt worse than childrbirth". Huh - they hurt yes, but they are not intolerable, even with severe migraine. I have had them many time before. Well when his hand is doing it is worse than childbirth, worse than anything I have experienced ever. He rushed pushing the lidocaine which makes it hurt a lot! He rushed & just turned my head forcefully in the direction he wanted my head, instead of using his lips to ask and treat me like a human. i was horrified, but blamed myself and assumed my 3 day migraine was making me overly sensitive. I came back anther time next month for the same relief, had no idea it would be him instead of Chippendale, and also came in with chest pain, which was an occasional and well known side effect of multiple doses of Imitrex, my migraine med at the time (since discontinued and listed as allergic now on Dr's advice). When i saw him, I said no way. I know it doesn't have to be excruciating when a patient and skilled doctor doctor can do it with only a minimal exacerbation of your already pain from a multiday, non-stop migraine. I declined the shot and asked for pain meds and an eval of my chest pain. he threw me a script for 10 vicdin and called me a drug seeker who was wasting his time. I threw the prescription back at him, and said "read my file you *ss, I 've refused narcotic scripts multiple times, and always did the Magnesium/imitrex protocol at the ER instead of allowing them to give me narcotics". nt many patients opt for the protocol by the time they end up in the ER. I personally fear addiction. Oh, and because of the bad experience before with the shots and being in too much pain to drive home the last time he touched me, I brought my husband. I could see my strong non-violence advocate/activist husband's fists clenching and literally had to drag him out of the office husband, tell him it's not worth it. I complained to Chippendale, and he made sure my file had a note to never set me up for care with him. Chippendale was a great doctor, respectful, listens, and willing to look for non-narcotoc alternatives for those of us leery of them due to family tragedy and addiction. I was later referred to Jack Schim for headache management and botox TX. He, like Chippendale, is just a down right decent and caring human being, respectful to his patients, listening, educating and working cooperatively with me to help me find the best solutions for my problem. After I left Blumenfeld's office, I headed straight to the ER, and could not get the Imitrex protocol due to the chest pain, and had to use narcotics as a last resort that time. I only rarely use them for headache now. Steer clear of this guy. The good news is that half the time he's running around working on getting botox approved for new conditions or in new countries. He's from Allergan anyway, and docs like him belong behind a desk or in a lab, but never with patients. And if not out doing that he's out doing his wanna be competitive bicycling stuff. I actually caught him running a red light in front of the hospital last year. Yeah, he's the extreme alpha dog - God - just ask him... So many others complaining are spot on. Try Chippendale or Schim. Overall it's a good group practice . The Headache Center has excellent support staff, and Schim their best headache doc by far!

|  Thank you Dr. Blumenfeld  |  show details
Mar 31st, 2013

Dr. Blumenfeld has helped get my migraines under control. He has always been there to answer any questions I have had. He has given me many options for the treatment of my migraines and has always given me the pros and cons of each treatment. I thank him greatly for his help.

|  Patient  |  show details
by Lorinda Petty on Feb 14th, 2013

I am very hopeful that Dr. Blumenfeld will be able to get my migraine headaches under control!!

|  RN saved by Dr Blumenfeld  |  show details
by Linda on Jan 16th, 2013

I am a Nurse who has suffered with migraine for 45 years. I have been treated very well by Dr Blumenfeld: He always takes time to answer my questions - i found him to be caring, competent & considerate. Best of all? MY headaches are GONE! Thank you Dr B

Aug 18th, 2012

I had been under the care of several neurologists before I became a patient of Dr. Blumenfeld. He is the only doctor that was able to find the cause of my migraines in order to treat them. Most doctors just treat the symptoms without treating the cause. With with his extensive knowledge, patience, and utilization of time necessary to successfully treat and manage pain as well as find the cause of the condition I am now able to live a productive life.I do not mind waiting for an appointment with Dr. Blumenfeld because it keeps me from going to the emergency room where I could spend several hours waiting for treatment. He also takes the time to consult his patients which I appreciate because as a patient I want to be well informed of my condition and maintain my health.I would highly recommend Dr. Blumenfeld because he is an excellent neurologist who cares about his patients and their needs.

|  Great Dr. that Changed my Life  |  show details
Jul 18th, 2012

I have been suffering from chronic migraines since puberty. Chronic being 15-20 migraines a month. I tried many many remedies. Dr. Blumenfeld has guided me through a process which has almost totally eliminated my migraines and has given me my life back. I can not encourage those of you who are true chronic migraine sufferers enough to seek help from Dr. Blumenfeld. He is truly a professional and can make a difference for you too. Karen Kling

|  Dr. Blumenfeld Changed my LIFE  |  show details
Oct 24th, 2011

Migrain Headaches had been steadily increasing until I was spending half of my life suffering through them. It felt like the other half was spent feeling 'beat up' recovering from them. Dr. Andrew Blumenfeld understood how horrible Migraines are and actually STOPPED THEM. I feel like it's been a new life. I can wake up without pain! I have also learned to pay attention to smaller headaches before they ever have a chance to turn into possible migraines. I cannot say enough great things about Dr. Blumenfeld.

|  His reputation for being arrogant is no joke!  |  show details
Aug 27th, 2011

Shocking! I honestly don't think he realizes how ridiculous he sounds. Without allowing me to speak for more than one minute he has me all figured out; a middle-aged neurotic woman who "must have been abused as a child" and my denial of past traumatic events and unwillingness to face them is manifested by my "supposed" health issues. (Which by the way could not be farther from the truth. And these health issues have been confirmed by other very qualified physicians.) I have actually gone back to see him again (due to insurance reasons, and that my treatments only force me to be around him for about 10 minutes) and he seems to be getting worse. At first I thought he was just arrogant, but now I actually think there is something wrong with him! I have seen others comment about his affect and I agree. He makes outrageous statements regarding causes and treatments for various illnesses/diseases, I suppose assuming none of his patients are educated. When you counter his statements, ciiting research studies and agreed-upon "truths" within the broader medical community, he gets very angry and says that he does not agree with any of them. He has very strange beliefs and states them as "fact", yet they can not be supported by any data. His arrogance has grown so much that I truly believe he is becoming delusional. I have always felt that he probably was competent, despite his horrible bedside manner, but I am now doubting that as well. He does indeed contradict himself a lot, as others have noted. He is belittling, rude and condescending. When other physicians have suggested I see a neurologist they told me NOT to go to him, citing both the horror stories they have heard from their patients as well as the personal dealings they have had with him. I can only assume the patients who are pleased with him are good, nice, patients that don't ask questions, accept whatever he says as fact, and feed his ego by encouraging his authoritarian style. Ignorance can be very dangerous. I hope he is not telling all of his patients they were abused and have current psychological issues, but I do see a many comments on his over "diagnosing" patients with true, physical ailments as being depressed and anxious. Well one thing is true - if they weren't depressed or anxious going into his office, they will be when they come out!ome ideas to get you started:-Write about overall experiences-Write about what you like or dislike about your physician-Write about whether you would recommend-Write as if you are talking to a peer who is asking your opinion

Jul 5th, 2011

Dr. Blumenfeld quite rightly sent me over to the sleep center in spite of my not having a clue that I had a sleep disorder. I have had migraines for years. They were exacerbated for years by the diagnosis of the sleep center - sleep apnea. Dr. Blumenfeld is quite intuitive and brilliant in the area of migraine management.

May 24th, 2011

Dr Blumenfeld's expertise in Migraine has truly saved my life - living with chronic migraine was a life sentence until he helped me manage this disorder and live a happy life again. I would recommend him to anyone struggling with this problem. He's always on the cutting edge of new technologies and takes as much as time as I need in my appointments. I consider him a friend.

|  NOT the Expert  |  show details
May 20th, 2011

I suffer from severe migraines. Blumenfeld is "suppose" to be the go to doc for migraines. I had already received Botox treatments from another neurologist without any success, except to severly worsen an old neck injury. Blumenfeld wanted to do more Botox even after I explained the result of Botox in the past. He still pushed for more Botox as if this was all he could think of. Even the published literature on Botox shows it is not as effective for the type of migrained I suffer from (exploding) and is best for imploding migraines. Perhaps he should read the studies a little more carefully.This doctor displayed a complete lack of compassion for me and the acute pain I undergo at least 4 days a week. He was not even prepared to see me, wanting be to recite all the meds I have tried in the past. When I asked him if he didn't have the listing of the meds I had already given him, he said he was having trouble opening the file in his computer, but finally managed to do so.His course of treatment is for me again take meds that already proved useless. As far as helping me deal with the pain, he suggest going to the emergency room at a hospital! He then cut the visit short stating he needed to see other patients!I saw another doctor in this practice and stopped because he passed me off to a NP (nurse) for future visits without even establishing any course of treatment that worked. I guess because he ran out of ideas and did want to waste anymore time with me...at least that how he made me feel.If you are in search of a doctor who will put their ego aside, listen to you and treat you with respect and compassion, look elsewhere.

|  Dr. Blumenfeld changed my life!  |  show details
May 17th, 2011

I read about and sought out to see Dr. Blumenfeld, the director of the Headache Center of Southern California, almost a decade ago. And to be frank, I feel like he has saved my life, no joke! Dr. Blumenfeld continues to be a leading researcher, on the cutting edge of the most advanced treatments in the management of headache pain! When I initially went to see him, he was using Botox to treat migraines, when I could find no one else in San Diego who was, simply because insurance was not covering it yet, despite significant research regarding the safety and efficacy of the treatment. And this has been my experience with Dr. Blumenfeld in other areas of treatment as well. Dr. Blumenfeld has used other cutting edge treatments on me for various stubborn and difficult health problems no one else could cure and he has eliminated them. And none of my other Specialists or Doctors, from other very highly regarded Medical Centers here in San Diego were using these treatments. Despite the efficacy and safety of such new treatments, most of my other doctors had never even heard of the treatment methods Dr. Blumenfeld was using, because they were new and just being written about in Neurological and Medical Journals! Dr. Blumenfeld has always been an advocate for his patients and made significant progress towards convincing intractable insurance companies early on to pay for Botox, when no one else could, because he was showing that he could reduce their cost for migraine patients. Botox is now FDA approved and considered an official, on- label preventive treatment for chronic migraines, occurring more than 15 days per month, that most all insurance companies will pay for now, thanks to pioneers like Dr. Blumenfeld! I have multiple, serious medical problems and a history of migraines that have progressively gotten worse over the years. And prior to seeing Dr. Blumenfeld, I had taken every kind of oral medication that existed I thinks, in a mix of at 3 to 4 kinds of preventative and acute meds for years, none of them ever putting but a small dent in my migraines! I had migraine pain that was incapacitating 4 or more days a week. I would end up in the ER at least two or more times a month for incapacitating pain management and for the treatment of broken bones or other serious traumas and injuries to my body sustained while under the debilitating influence of constant migraines! The cost of ALL this to my insurance was phenomenal! But worseI had no quality of life it was a nightmare! After I met Dr. Blumenfeld and had my first botox injection, I felt the first significant reduction in my pain levels that was sustained in years!!! The pain diminished within a week and remained at low levels to zero pain for several months! After the second injections three months later, even better results! Now I rarely ever have even mild pain! I cannot say how much I owe to Dr. Blumenfeld! My life before was intolerable, not a life worth living! I am so happy to have my life back and be free from pain, thanks to Dr. Blumenfeld! I have found Dr. Blumenfeld is not only a brilliant doctor, but compassionate and concerned with his patients rights and autonomy in his patient centered approach. I have always found him to be concerned with my overall psychological, as well as physical health. And he has encouraged me every step of the way to understand and be in control of my life. He has shown he is not so much concerned with the just the bottom line, but with providing health care with a heart.to his patients! Thank you so much Dr. Blumenfeld . for giving me back my quality of life! Sincerely, Cathy Magar

|  Dr. Blumenfeld is a highly skilled and incisive medical practitionerr.  |  show details
May 14th, 2011

In 2005, I saw three neurologists and a pain specialist for searing daily headaches that had come on suddenly. No one could give me a concrete diagnosis, but that didn't stop any of them from prescribing medications. To no avail. By the time I saw Dr. Blumenfeld, my pain was disabling. I had trouble concentrating and could barely hold my head up. He quickly took my medical history, carefully watching me head and eye movements as we talked. Within ten or fifteen minutes, he had a diagnosis: Migraines with distonia. It took several Botox treatments before I was pain-free. He's continued to treat me, and with one notable exception (a crippling migraine immediately prior to the death of my mother), I have not experienced any more migraine pain. What's more, he's treated my distonia and I my annoying head tremor has all but disappeared. Caring, concerned, personable, professional, brilliant and high skilled. That's how I'd describe Dr. Blumenfeld. I've recommended him to a number of friends over the years.

|  Highly recommend Dr. Blumenfeld  |  show details
by The Hahn Family on Apr 27th, 2011

Dr. Blumenfeld was highly recommended to us for our 13 year old daughter by our family's Opthomologist. She said he was absolutely the best and worth the 75 minute drive from our home in Orange County. He has a very patient and calm manner that put our daughter at ease immediately. During our visits he has spent considerable time with us explaining his treatment plan, including any medications he prescribes and any tests he orders. In between appointments he and his triage staff have been very responsive to our daughter's needs and her Mother's many questions. He has our daughter's complete faith and trust. No easy task after an Occipital Nerve Block, Spinal Tap and Botox. Our daughter is making good progress after suffering with headaches and migraines 24/7 for the past 60 days. We just find it so hard to believe the negative reviewers were actually patients of Dr. Blumenfeld.

|  Dr. Andrew Blumenfeld  |  show details
Apr 26th, 2011

Dr. Blumenfeld is an amazing Neurologist. I have been a patient for approximately six years. His professionalism is admirable, he is always prepared. He has always explained and answered all my questions. Especially regarding medications that are prescribed. He was the first Neurologist to finally diagnose my condition. His continued education allows for cutting edge non-narcotic solutions. I would highly recommend him, he is worth the wait. Jen Del Monte

Apr 25th, 2011

Dr. Blumenfeld Is Very Professional And Accurate With His Diagnosis . He Has A Very Quiet And Personable Demeanor .My Office Visits Are Pleasant Experiences .

|  BEST doctor you will ever find  |  show details
Apr 25th, 2011

After 5 years of agonizing migraines and daily headaches, Dr.Blumenfeld has been the only doctor to accurately diagnose my pain and help me. I would HIGHLY recommend Dr.Blumenfeld to anyone and everyone in a heartbeat. He has worked with me for years trying different treatments, and has always encouraged me that I would find relief, and was the only one to finally provide it. He tells you what you need to hear, educates you on your condition, and walks you through every option possible. Most of all, Dr.Blumenfeld has given me the hope I've needed for getting through this pain. Although I live most of the year 7 hours away, I make special trips just to be treated by this doctor. I would recommend him to anyone seeking neurological care.

|  Horrified  |  show details
Mar 27th, 2011

Not only is Dr. Blumenfeld the worst doctor I've ever met, he is by far the worst person I've ever met. He kept contradicting himself, and when I'd ask for clarification he'd yell at me "You're not allowed to ask any questions". He was so scattered, that he could not focus at all. He'd ask me a question which I'd already answered on my patient form, and I'd answer it as he stared at the form and then the veins in his neck would bulge out, and he'd angrily insist that I left that question blank. His eyes and affect were weird, and I could not believe he is allowed to practice medicine in the condition he is in. Stay as far away from him as possible. I think he should take 6-12 months off and get plenty of rest, and deal with his issues. He is in a bad way.

Feb 6th, 2011

I have had my problem for mane years,and I have seen mane doctors who were no big help.This doctor is the only doctor that understood the problem I had. Levon Demirchyan.

Feb 6th, 2011

I have had my problem for many years, and I have seen many doctors who were no big help. This doctor is the only doctor that understood the problem I had

|  Already had a diagnosis without seeing my symptoms  |  show details
by Kerry Sprouffske on Nov 4th, 2010

I would not recommend Dr. Blumenfeld. He spoke to my husband, not to me during the appointments. He told me that I was depressed and that I had a dental problem, and tried to sell me a bite guard. Also, he did not make me feel heard, or that he was actually taking me seriously. I found another physician and have been diagnosed with a movement disorder, not depression or a dental issue.

Oct 5th, 2010

He really solved my headache problems.I had daily headaches and now have only rare disabling headaches that I can easily mange with medications.

May 7th, 2009

He was the only MD who was able to get my hedacahes under control!

by cured on Dec 15th, 2008 on yahoo.com

Dr. Blumenfeld saw me at a moment's notice, and I did not wait very long in his office. After asking me several questions and performing a quick physical exam, he diagnosed my problem and recommended treatment. He assured me I would have immediate relief after the treatment, and he was right. I am grateful.

by shocked on Dec 8th, 2008 on yahoo.com

Unfortunately, I read the first review a few minutes before I had to leave for my visit with him. I should have cancelled the appointment after reading that but went anyway. When I told him some symptoms I was having, he told me I had a pretty bad disease. He said this before he examined me or even read a diagnostic report of a test I had which would have made the diagnosis he gave me much less likely. He said that the test isn't always diagnostic and the fact that I had similar symptoms in the past and that a physician in the past thought I had it too validated his diagnosis. I was shocked that he would so arrogantly tell a patient that diagnosis in such an off handed way. It seemed cruel and strange.His affect was weird also. When I returned for a follow up, after being kept waiting for 40 minutes, having taken no further tests that would have ruled out the disorder, he told me that I was suffering from anxiety! I confronted him with his initial diagnosis and he denied he ever said it! I spent the majority of the first visit trying to convince him that I couldn't have what he said I had and now he was telling me that my symptoms were all in my head. He said we never had good rapport and that I should find another doctor or group. Do not make my mistake. Go to another neurologist. Supposedly Lobatsch is good (he was the doctor I was originally referred to but didn't want to wait so long for an appointment). I have never had an experience quite like this in all my years.

Jun 6th, 2008 on yahoo.com

Worst doctor experience I have actually had, badgered me throughout, actually farted during the session. I had to wait over an hour to see him and then he was just rude, told me I need to study more about neurology (is that not his job???) and ultimately