Surgical Specialist, Orthopaedic Surgeon
Video profile

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by Robert L Grantham on Dec 15th, 2014

Dr. Hedley performed a simultaneous bilateral total knee replacement procedure for me in May 2014. The procedure was a big success. The surgery was done at St Luke's Hospital in Phoenix. While St Luke's is an older Hospital, and another hospital, would have been more convenient, the staff at St Luke's Hospital was wonderful. Dr. Hedley and his physicians were great answering my questions before surgery, in the hospital and follow-up appointments. After three previous knee surgeries over the years by other doctors, I was very "bowlegged" with no medial meniscus in both knees for several years. Pain was just a part of my daily routine. My activities were very limited. Now my legs are straight and several people have commented that I look taller. My experience with Dr. Hedley was great. I am now a little over six months from surgery and I am pain free. I am able to do things that I haven't done in years. Just simply walking, climbing stairs and riding my mountain bike with absolutely no pain is amazing. One of the keys is, you have to be willing to work hard in rehabilitation after the surgery. Both in the hospital and as an out patient. Continued Physical Therapy is necessary for success after surgery. I continued physical therapy as an outpatient for 10 weeks and I made knee rehabilitation a priority. I would definitely recommend Dr. Hedley as the surgeon to see when you have a serious knee problem. He is extremely experienced and very good. (by the way, if it helps, I am 62 years old) Thanks Doctor Hedley. Bob Grantham

|  Simultaneous bilateral knee replacements  |  show details
by Dr. Patrick H on Oct 7th, 2014

Dr. Hedley performed a simultaneous bilateral total knee replacement procedure for me in August 2014. The procedures were a big success. He removed a significant valgus deformity in both knees and I was up and walking the day after surgery. He also uses spinal anesthesia which I much prefer to a general. No nausea post surgery and I felt great. I was able to climb stairs at 5 days post op with handrail assistance. My pain level never really exceeded a subjective level 3-4 and that was always quickly controlled at St Luke's Hospital. Dr. Hedley and his physician fellow were strong on the follow-up and always fully answered my questions in the hospital and follow-up appointments. My left knee was especially arthritic (osteoarthritis) due to a post op staph infection that stemmed from a knee operation in the early 1960s. Dr. Hedley is absolutely the surgeon to see when you have a special problem with a serious knee deformity. He is extremely experienced and very analytical. Today at two months, I am able to easily climb stairs and I can actually take double steps up a staircase with ease and absolutely no pain. Dr. Hedley used the Stryker Triathlon TKR hardware in both of my knees which permits up to 150 degrees of flexion (with a lot of hard work post op). At 2 months now, I am up to 140 degrees of knee flexion and complete knee extension came within 2 weeks post op. I have pursued aggressive physical therapy in an outpatient setting and I made knee rehabilitation a priority. Physical therapy is a part of the success. I would highly recommend Dr. Hedley as a surgeon with exceptional skills. He is one of the very best in country!

|  Greatest Doc.  |  show details
by Marilyn B. on Oct 31st, 2013

After researching Doctors I found Dr. Hedley to perform my left Hip replacement. I had been practically crippled in pain and limped and was on pain pills and a walker. I am a ballet dancer. 8 months after Dr. Heldley's hip replacement I am dancing again and pain free, both legs the identical length. Perfection. That is how I describe Dr. Hedley's skill in hip replacement.

|  Fornmer Patients  |  show details
by Ron and Linda Gilbert on Mar 18th, 2013

Dr. Hedley is an outstanding surgeon who has replaced three of our four hips. With his extensive knowledge and skill, we have both experienced smooth transitions with no complications. We are truly grateful to this doctor for his wonderful care.

Jul 31st, 2012

Was a new patient and arrived one-half hour early to fill out necessary paperwork.I waited approx. fifteen minutes to see Dr. Hedley. I was very impressed as he took time to answer all my questions and was not in a hurry as some Dr's are to try to get to their next patient. Above all was his "bedside manner". He is very caring. I am,truly, in good hands!

|  Hip Replacements/Revisions  |  show details
Feb 28th, 2012

I first met Dr. Hedley over 30 years ago at UCLA.He is one of ntion's pioneers in hip replacements.Though my hip replacement socket and feoral head have been revised since they were installed, my main femoral stem is in good shape, and was installed by Dr. Hedley 29 years ago! It was the first series of the total hip which he co-designed for Howmedica.Tony Hedley is one of the top surgeons in the country.I highly recommend him. He has replaced both of my hips. One total hip in 1983, and one revision on the other leg in 1994.Knock on wood, they're still going strong.It's a blessing to have the opportunity to get repaired by such a skilled craftsman.

|  The BEST Ortho Surgeon in the US  |  show details
Feb 5th, 2011

After a drunk driver totalled my left leg, and TWO other ORTHO Surgeons couldn't fix it (one wanted to cut my leg off below the knee after three unsuccesful surgeries) Dr. Hedley not only saved my leg, but made it completely functional. Years later, when my knee degenerated, Dr. Hedley did a very difficult knee replacement with ease. He IS the BEST Ortho Surgeon in America. If you want to be coddled and not wait for an appointment, go to someone who is NOT the best Ortho Surgeon in America. (WHY do you think it's so easy to get appointments at OTHER Ortho Surgeons offices? It's because they ARE NOT as sought after as Dr. Hedley!)

Jan 12th, 2011

Everything is fine unless you question their opinion. Been a patient for some time had surgery with complications (not a result of the doctors performance) but questioned some things that have happened and seems like the doctor/nurse would like to get rid of me. Changing physicians

|  Technical skills alone does not a doctor make  |  show details
Aug 26th, 2010

This Dr. has "world renowned" technical skills, and is a spoiled brat who does not care about his patients as individuals, only about himself, his image, his power and his name. The hospital where he operates is totally incompetent and have had 3 extremely negative experiences there.

|  Former Patient  |  show details
by K C at Insider Pages on Aug 26th, 2010 on insiderpages.com

This doctor shared that he was more interested in his schedule that he was in what was happening to me at the hospital. St. Luke`s his only...

Read Full Review at insiderpages.com
Mark as Helpful  | 11 people found this helpful Report Abuse
Feb 23rd, 2009

Did a wonderful knee replacement and completely changed my life.