Orthopedic Surgeons, Surgical Specialist
Pennsylvania Hospital University PA Health System
800 Spruce St Ste 8
Philadelphia, PA 19107
215-829-2222
Locations and availability (5)

2.5

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Bilateral Hip Replacements  |  show details
by Mary C. on Jan 28th, 2014

I had bilateral hip replacements June 26, 2013. When I met Dr. Nazarian after he looked at my x-rays he said I needed both hips replaced I was in such pain I didn't even flinch and agreed to the surgery. I am now 7 months post op and not completely back to normal but oh so much better than before. I would recommend Dr. Nazarian to all my family and friends which I have already been doing there's no reason to suffer in pain like I did for the previous 4 years I so regret waiting. This surgery literally gave me my life back. Anyone reading this review please don't live in pain if you can be pain free. I couldn't even concentrate on a conversation with friends if I was standing that's how bad my hips were.

|  The nicest!  |  show details
Oct 21st, 2013

Dr. Nazarian has been nothing but an amazing doctor. I noticed a lot of complaints about waiting for him, and yes that can be annoying but at the same time he is late because he actually spends time with his patients. He is caring and warm and has gone out of his way to make me feel comfortable. I never feel rushed or cut off and his whole team is very responsive and helpful. In addition, Dr. Nazarian is incredibly smart and knowledgeable and while he does not practice the surgery that I will need, he has helped put me in touch with surgeons and has stayed involved throughout the process answering questions and providing advice.

by Averie Cream on Sep 8th, 2013

I had my hip replaced by Dr. Nazarian almost 2 weeks ago. I am so thankful for what he has done for me. I am no longer in pain and am on my way to healing up from the surgery. So far, so good. No complaints from me or my family.

|  He's The Best!!!!  |  show details
by Constance Ricci on Jul 25th, 2013

I will Always praise Dr. Nazarian. I have heard of other patients who had problems with other Doctors and I thank GOD that I had Dr. Nazarian as my surgeon. He replaced both my hips and my knees and I am better than ever. Don't hesitate about this guy. I was told before I went to him that he was the best and he really is.

|  Very Happy  |  show details
by FERA on Jul 25th, 2013

I was very happy with the care. The terrible pain in my left knee is COMPLETELY GONE. Dr. Nazarian said exactly what he was going to do and fixed me. Thank goodness for him and his staff. I switched Doctors on my other knee to Dr. Nazarian. I am very happy

|  Everything a 10  |  show details
by Nancy Dankin on Jul 25th, 2013

The staff reported quickly to my questions. I had no complaints during the hospital stay, and I had no problems in the hospital. All of my questions were answered fully. I went into the surgery with no fears because the doctor called me the night before surgery. I can now go to the gym every other day and enjoy my life again. I am so glad that I got my hip done.

|  What A Doctor!!!!  |  show details
by Sandra Coyle on Jul 25th, 2013

From day one I Had no pain in the hospital. I'm his best walking advertisement. The hospital stay was pleasant and the staff was very accommodating. I am now able to dance with my friends again! Dr. Nazarian was so caring and called me the night before surgery. No surgeon had ever previously done that before... What a Doctor!

|  Great Doctor to see.  |  show details
by John Fowler on Jul 25th, 2013

I saw Cleanliness, Washing of Hands, housekeeping was Excellent. The Staff was very friendly. I believe in Big City Medicine. I left Chester County to come to Penn. I'm glad that Dr. Nazarian decided to stay at Penn. His Medical Assistant/Assisyant LaToya is always smiling and very helpful, and friendly. I prefer this hospital to any of the Surburban hospital that I've been to. Great Great Experience.

|  Thumbs Up!!!!!!  |  show details
by Diane Datcher on Jul 25th, 2013

Years ago I went to Rothman, and they tried to rush me into surgery. I had a lot of concerns and Dr. Nazarian calmed my fears and anxiety. He made me feel completely at ease. I had since had surgery with Dr. Nazarian. I did fantastically well. I would absolutely reccommend Dr. Nazarian and his entire team! I am so happy I had my surgery and rehab at Pennsylvania Hospital. There staff is completely caring and professional. Thumbs Up for this group

|  Patient  |  show details
by Rita Pracuta on Jul 24th, 2013

I had a total hip replacement about ten years ago and I havent had pain in ten years. I haven't been able to tell the difference between my hips. Dr. David Nazarian called me the night before surgery, and he took very good care of me. He is THE BEST.

|  I can't take it anymore!!!!!!!!!!  |  show details
May 31st, 2013

Went to him for a second opinion and he was so nice and so pleasant and finally told me that I needed a Total Right Hip Replacement, I was devestated, but he assured me everything would be great and I would be up and around and walking a mile within a month!!!! HAHA what joke! I am close to a year since the surgery and wish I NEVER did this! I have MORE pain now than before the surgery. I have been back many many times complaining of constant pain and all he says is the x-rays look great and I'll give you an injection, they don't work! Finally went again complaining again about 2 months ago and he told me I have bursitis and I need an injection using ultrasound. Had that done at Jefferson and needless to say, no relief and now I have groin pain and bursitis pain.........I'M TOTALLY disgusted! I can't live on pain killers, I have a life I need to live, but I feel that I get no answers from him...you wait a good 2 hours to spend 2 minutes with him....I have an appt next week and he's going to hear an ear ful from me. I trusted him and he failed..........I can't believe this is what you get from someone who supposed to be the best.......Not the best in my eyes! Your just a number after surgery!!!!!!!!!!!

|  Outstanding surgeon  |  show details
by Charlie R on May 29th, 2013

I was recommended by my family doctor. Yes, I waited, but it was not his fault. When the 3Bs left, the administration improved. He does not make small talk but answers all questions. You just have to know to ask. You go to him for a superb doctor, not a hand (or hip) holder. I'll be back.

|  REALLY?  |  show details
by R. Smith on Apr 15th, 2013

The staff...receptionist, medical asst. were VERY kind and caring! Howevever, if you are there for hip/back pain, how do they expect you to sit there for ...almost 2 hrs? Both of my visits were a waste of my TIME! ABRUPT with NO Compassion.. at All! Dr. NAZARIAN spent ONLY 2 mins with me...he did NOT even look at my studies and previous DR's records, that they TOLD me to bring! I was told he was a VERY BUSY DR..... MAYBE, HE SHOULD downsize or stop taking on new patients, so he can show some compassion for his current patients! I mean REALLY NOW, how can a DR understand what you are going through....WITHOUT looking at the records or MRI/XRAYS that THEY tell you to bring! He gives you a cortizone shot and "heres your hat, theres the door" attitude! My wife calls it the GOD COMPLEX! I was SO disappointed! Bring a lot of money too...PARKING cost me ...almost 20.00 @ their parking lot! NO discounted parking...either! Maybe, that is why you wait sooo long for your appt. They are making money, as you wait! That is a shame!

by Tara Hettel on Apr 12th, 2013

I had bilateral knee replacement in 1998 by Dr. Nazarian. I think hes a great doctor. Took time with me I cant complain. I also had a hip replaced in 2003 again went to Dr. Nazarian no problems. In 2011 I had to have my one knee replaced again. Yes the wait at his office is long but worth waiting for him. I have never had any problems with any of my surgeries feel wonderful and all thanks to Dr. Nazarian. Yes I would recommend him and have recommeded him. When the time comes again that something has be replaced yes I will be going back. Personally if Im not having any problems in the hospital I dont want to be bothered so the dr comes in and says everything looks good and I feel great then see ya! thats just me though.

|  Terrible Experience  |  show details
by Liz on Mar 28th, 2013

[Caveat: Staff was lovely] Waited over an hour to see him; once he came in, spent approx. 10 minutes with me over an issue that I've been experiencing for 15 years. Atrocious bedside manner. Behaved like I was forcing him to see me, like my time didn't matter, like my issue was nothing. Injected me with cortisone with no lead up, no explanation. Gave me one exercise to do, said it should fix the problem. When I mentioned another doctor's diagnosis (much more serious than his- actually, don't think he ever gave me one because he was so busy trying to rush me out) he offhandedly told the nurse to order me an MRI and then walked out of the door. Infuriating experience.

|  Horrible experience  |  show details
Mar 18th, 2013

I want to tell the world about this surgeon and how dissapointed I am in him. I waited over 2 hours when in the room Dr. Nazarian did not even look at my problem area nor did he look at any of the test. Was told I needed surgery was handed the papers to sign my life away and left horrified at the thought he could send me for all these tests and when I came back did not even look at my problem Let alone the X-ray and other test . Note to Dr. Nazarian Make sure you actually look at the patients problem area and X-rays before you make your diagnosis we are not as dumb as you think. I hope your read these reviews and take your patients much more seriously.

by s.l. on Mar 3rd, 2013

I had two hip replacements and at the first visit the doctor treated me like he cared. After the surgery, he treated me like I was a idoit for telling him I was still in pain. Be careful because once this doctor does the surgery, he wants nothing to do with you. His ego is the worst I have even seen in a doctor. I was laying in the hospital and he came around with some students and was making fun of me being young with two hip replacements. I would love to see him get fired. Never go to him, you will regret it. I hate this doctor.

|  Great hip surgeon  |  show details
Sep 17th, 2012

I have had two hips replaced by Dr. Nazarian, left in 2003 & right in 2012. Both operations were very successful! I am a physically active person and I have had no limitations! Dr. Nazarian is known for being late for office visits and is not very talkative. I am very patient so I wait and I ask a lot of questions! I sent a friend to Dr. Nazarian for hip surgery who had many serious complications and he took total care of her, many times on the weekend. Her complications were in no way the fault of the doctor, just her body and family medical history. Results are what is important!!!

|  not for me  |  show details
Jul 16th, 2012

I can not judge Dr Nazarian's medical skills. Since I waited over 90 minutes, I spoke to patients who were very happy with him and the surgery he did. I was a new patient with a ruptured cyst and water on the knee and a torn meniscus. After waiting 90 minutes, he spent 10 minutes with me, said he would do surgery to repair the meniscus, would not take the water off the knee, even though it was causing the pain and would do the surgery in 6 weeks. Needless to say I went elsewhere. That Provder, drained the water and gave me shot while waitng for the surgery.Staff in the office were OK but not good. I would stay away

|  Better than most  |  show details
Apr 9th, 2012

Long office wait but due to time spent with other patients.Excellent staff. X-ray done on film but was reviewed right there by thedoctor and assistant and prescription written for injection.Good idea and then spine surgery followed perhaps by hip operation if the injection is no major help.

|  Fooled by fisrt impressions  |  show details
Mar 31st, 2012

i was totally fooled by dr nazarian as a surgeon his bedside manner was terrible i was expecting much.more from him acttually i felt more like a speciman than a person . I had a tkr 2 years ago i am in pain still as i write this i would not even consider going back there what a nightmare! I really saw another side to him that i never saw beforeHe promised me so much and delivered so little i was his patient for 10 years told everyone how much i trusted him well i was a fool I did the rehab the therapy and did everything i was told i waited so long to get my life back well that has not happpened he promised so much and gave so little was told i need a revision surgery goodBye two more years of my life and dr nazarian you should be ashamed of ourself. His assistant is horrible too avoid and do your research before going there.

|  How Abrupt Can You Get?  |  show details
Feb 15th, 2012

After waiting for one hour and 20 minutes, I finally saw Dr. Nazarian. He came in the room, looked at none of my x-rays, performed one test on me, diagnosed my condition and wrote an Rx for an MRI--all in one minute flat. That's it, and goodbye.

Feb 4th, 2012

I went to 3B Ortho on two occasion in late 2011 because of the excellent care I received previously years ago. When I scheduled my appointment every thing went smoothly. So when I arrived the first of appointment I thought the wait was going to be relative to what I experienced before which is about 30 to 40 minutes. I instead waited for 3 hours just to be taken to an exam room to wait another 20 minutes then to just be seen by an intern before waiting again to talk to the doctor. There was no explanation given for this delay which cost time from work plus getting there and unfortunately parking. I then proceeded to schedule an follow-up appointment a month later and in the late afternoon. I was hoping that the delay would be less at the end of the day but unfortunately that was not the case and I ended up waiting another 3 hours again. The compassion and professionalism is no where shown by this practice or doctor.

Jan 30th, 2012

I am a 58-year old female who had leg perthes disease as a child. Dr. Nazarian did my total hip replacement surgery. He has a wonderful bedside manner, and a professional, caring staff. I have 3 friends who also had hip surgery and recommended Dr. Nazarian to me. I highly recommend Dr. Nazarian if you are having difficulty with a hip. He is an outstanding surgeon and a very caring doctor.

Jan 11th, 2012

Very dissatisfied

Nov 14th, 2011

very LONG WAIT.... everytime I have an appointment same thing: VERY LONG WAIT!!I rush to be on time FOR MY SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT so this is VERY disrespectful!!staff is very involved with each other,more than with patients: talking laughing, eating. One of my visits there was a big lunch set-up in the back "rooms" area(drug company provided?). EVERY ONE one was walking around with plates, in/out the front doors with plates, sitting at their desks eating. It was out of control, seriously!Is this really worth it? there are many, many other Ortho doctors in Philadelphia.

|  DR NAZARIAN GOT THE JOB DONE!!  |  show details
Aug 3rd, 2011

ON 04-10-06 DR Nazarian performed a total bilateral knee replacement on me I know longer suffer in pain he,s not a talkative person ,but talk is cheap. He,s also has Good assistants Dreen, and Micheal it has been 5 years since my surgery my knees are great, but if I have a concern Micheal or Doreen will not hesitate they actually return my call ,and address my concerns.

|  Gone downhill  |  show details
Jul 5th, 2011

I had a total hip replacement in 2002 at the age of 27. Back then he was a godsend. He was so kind and caring, I mean, really caring about making me pain free. Once I had the surgery, it was like a boyfriend that dumped you. Barely the excellent bedside manner that I found on my first visit. He's too fast and doesn't spend enough time going through the issue and what to do about it. I have learned NEVER to make an appt for him in the afternoon at PA Hospital because I waited 90 minutes last summer to see him. It took more time to drive into the city, find parking and waiting in the overcrowded waiting room than to see him. Very disappointed that his ego has gotten in the way of his experise. Will consider another orthopedic dr when it's time to get the hip redone.

Jul 1st, 2011

I was diagnosed by a PA. Doctor spent less than five minutes with me, paid more attention to his two students than to me. Didn't listen, cut me off mid-sentence, etc. Came off as a chauvinist. His staff in the NJ office was great though.

Jun 23rd, 2011

I waited for over an hour for my scheduled appointment. I was examined by an assistant.Dr. Nazarian came in after the exam and treatment, introduced himself. Never looked at x-rays or reports or my knee and told me to come back in a few months.

Apr 25th, 2011

Doctor did not listen to problem, just stated surgery was not needed. We knew that surgery was not needed, we were sent for an evaluation of a problem that was not addressed. The 5 minutes spent with me was totally unproductive. Wouldn't send my dog to this doctor.

|  .Too little attention to detail  |  show details
Jun 30th, 2010

Dr. Nazarian didn't do the surgery himself, but was merely 'available' during the procedure. I have persistent pain and instability post hip replacment surgery. Sufficient attention to detail could have eliminated my lifelong pain post suregry.

by after appt. on Apr 13th, 2010