Dr. David Van Thiel MD Patient Reviews

3.1

October 21st, 2016
for the reviewer " feeling a little bit scared"
When reading "a little bit scared," I too had an endoscopy with rubber bands placed in my esophagus by this doctor. Do not go to this doctor for this procedure! You wake up in so much pain, your throat is scraped up in the back, it last for a week. You can hardly eat or swallow. This happened a few times with me. He is rough and shakes. I go to another doctor now. I am on different meds and my liver is back to normal. I have had two more of these procedures on my esophagus with another doctor. I wake up in no pain, and it was a breeze. No wonder you were scared, you had every right to be. How do you like the receptionist? What she said to me I will never forget. I told him and he had no comment.

September 22nd, 2016
His patient in 2000
He was part of a team that saved my life at Loyola medical center may wood il ...I was transplanted in 2006. Thanks to all who were part of that team.

July 22nd, 2016
Don't go here
This is a crooked Doctor. I still owe lots of money and never got diagnosis. The front desk woman is extremely rude. I waited 5 hours and had unnecessary surgery. Con man

March 25th, 2016
A little bit Scared.....
I had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy done by Dr. Van Thiel. I was completely trusting of his knowledge, and he seems to pay close attention to everything that Is going on with me. During my colonoscopy and endoscopy, I needed approximately 10 rubber bands put in my esophagus. When I woke up I was in a lot of pain. It was horrible, I kind of just wish I would have had the opportunity of a 2nd opinion. I will still continue to see this Doctor, but prior to any other procedures I will make sure to get a 2nd opinion. I do not feel that he did me wrong, I just feel like it should have been discussed prior to doing the additional surgery. I am still in a lot of pain, so possibly I just feel upset about that....

December 13th, 2015
Cannot get medical records
I have asked for my medical records to be sent to my new hepatologist multiple times with no success. Apparently Ms George ( Dr Van Thiel's assistant) does not feel that she needs to comply with the law. Many former patients have experienced this same mistreatment.

April 12th, 2015
Best Doctor I've ever had the pleasure to place my life in
I would recommend this doctor highly.

April 7th, 2015
wife of Bob Lirot
Dr. Van Thiel is the best. God worked through him to heal my husband, Bob, of Hep C. They said it was a miracle. That's what we prayed for. Thank you!

March 7th, 2015
came to see my son when he was diagnosed hepatic peliosis a very rare liver disease.

June 10th, 2014
May 2014 update
I too was his patient in 2002 & agree his bedside manner is harsh. He does know his field & s involved with new treatment. I am a non-responder thrice over the years. My PCP just referred me to him @ Rush. He also practices in Milwaukee, WI. I am hesitant about going back as the various cocktails of meds made me sicklier...

August 11th, 2013
Very unprofessional receptionist
Dr VanThiel's receptionist is his wife who talks on the phone loudly, uses the patient's name and problem and violates HIPPA every time I am in there. She is also very rude and extremely unprofessional.

July 12th, 2013
PATIENT
REALLY... your complaining about a dingy office and a loud receptionist? That seems so incidental when it comes to the knowledge of the Dr. himself. I have gone to Dr. Van Thiel for many, many years. I recently went to the Dr. who took his place at rush. I have seen this new Dr. 2 times and each time he never once checked any part of me. He read a computer and told me the results of various tests--shook my hand and told me he would see me in a couple of months. I am looking forward to meeting with Dr. Van Thiel again, I really don't care that he isn't the most out going person, or that his office is dingy--he saved my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 26th, 2013
This doctor has left Rush Hospital in Chicago and opened his new office in Berwyn. I wanted to give him a higher rating because he does know his field of study and is experienced. The new office is just different, it's in an older office without any modern amenities. His receptionist seems to know it all, and you will hear it when you sit there waiting for her to finish your paperwork. It's very unprofessional and loud especially when she speaks about everyone's problems. The lab people are different every time you go and they aren't that good and very unfriendly. He needs a nurse to answer calls and handle the office in a professional way.