Dr. Dean Toriumi Is this you?

3.3

Have you seen Dr. Dean Toriumi?

I love Dr. Toriumi

Posted on June 3rd, 2017

He is a master surgeon. He healed my heart when he performed my surgery and gave me the impossible. I will forever be grateful.

Crazy Dr. Toriumi

Posted on October 3rd, 2016

From what I was told by another doctor: During medical school, Dr. Toriumi would videotape 8 hour rib grafting surgeries during the week, and then spend all weekend watching and studying his surgeries while the other medical students enjoyed their free time. He called Dr. Toriumi "Crazy" and went on to say that the other students thought he was crazy as well for spending 8 hours utilizing rib cartilage grafts reconstructing noses on strictly cosmetic cases and then watching the surgery all weekend. He said that he has not used rib grafting in 15 years and that the technique is extremely invasive and should be reserved only for extreme cases. He said that the majority of cases, even revision cases, do not need rib cartilage grafting and that Dr. Toriumi should not be utilizing rib cartilage grafting in the manner that he is. He also said that he is amazed at his rise to fame and amazed that all these years later he is still utilizing the same techniques that he was utilizing in school. He said rib cartilage grafting and 8 hour surgical times pose great risks for patients with chance of serious complications increasing by the hour passed 2-3 hours. After touching and examining my nose, feeling the abundance of rib grafts in it, he recommended that I report my case to the medical board for review.

I can breathe again and my nose looks great!

Posted on August 18th, 2016

The staff and Dr. Toriumi are truly professional and my nose is better than it ever has been. I can breathe it looks great and the follow up is thorough. I am so happy I had Dr. Toriumi do my surgery.

Highly recommend

Posted on July 26th, 2016

I had broken my nose at work and needed an ENT plastic surgeon. I was terrified about the surgery. I had consultations prior to Dr T. that we're not good. Those Drs didn't listen to me, laughed at questions, and even responded to my questions by telling me how many surgeries they do a day and that I just shouldn't worry so much. Once I met with Dr T and met all the staff my fears were put at ease. Everyone I met was smiling, professional, and compassionate. Dr T answered every question I had and was able to show me a computer model of my before and after. From that day, day of surgery, and post op visits I have always felt cared for and never felt like a number. I highly recommend Dr. T. You won't find a more talented and knowledgable Doctor who also has a great bedside manner and personality. His entire team is amazing! Research him and you will see how talented Dr. T is.

Capable surgeon but lacks in aesthetics for men - all noses from his reviews are large and bulbulous

Posted on July 13th, 2016

I had a repair of a rhinoplasty by Dr. Toriumi - he fixed the angle of my nose from an upward angle and supported the nasal tip with rib cartilage. The angle was repaired correctly but the nose was too wide - was not well constructed and remains wide and large at the tip - aesthetically a fail. In addition the tip became infected and resulted in having the surgery again to clean up the infection - he stated the nose would improve as far as the swelling and girth - this never happened - still wide - still aesthetically a fail. In addition I developed varicosities on the nasal bridge - I sent numerous pictures to his office and no response. I had these repaired by a plastics MD in Denver.

Bad Doctor - Do not have surgery.

Posted on April 18th, 2016

I feel sorry for anybody that pays such exorbitant fees for one of Dr. Toriumi's nasal graft jobs. Your life is officially ruined and you are out $30k afterward. It's very disturbing that these types of surgeries are still being sold to patients given how many have complained in the past. The complaints are real and valid. Please don't become another victim of Dr. Toriumi.

Review

Posted on January 12th, 2016

POSITIVE BLOG FOR DR. DEAN TORIUMI, MD I am writing this message and posting it so prospective patients of Dr. Dean Toriumi can have some insight into the scope and talent of this facial plastic surgeon. I myself am a double board certified plastic surgeon and also do open rhinoplasty. I have had the good fortune to train with some of the top rhinoplastic surgeons and have had a varied practice with primary, secondary, and sometimes three times (tertiary) patients who want revision rhinoplasty. It is no accident that when I fractured my nose and had a chronically deviated nasal tip that I would only want an expert and somebody as meticulous and as obsessive with the final result as I am. Dr. Dean Toriumi has a practice that is essentially mostly rhinoplasty. He has spearheaded techniques that are only now coming forward as long-lasting and essential in correcting nasal deformities as well as bringing out the best functional and cosmetic outcome. It is no accident that I would travel across the country to visit this surgeon who is not only gracious but compassionate for my own nasal surgery. He performed an excellent open rhinoplasty on me utilizing a rib graft and absolutely brought back symmetry, harmony, function, and excellent cosmetic appearance to my facial canvas. The experience was professional. His staff was straightforward and compassionate, and his Surgical Fellow, Dr. Eric Rosenberger, all contributed to a tremendous result and postsurgical experience. I have nothing but high praise for Dr. Toriumi, and there is no higher praise than having a fellow plastic surgeon seek out his care. It is important for anybody who desires primary, secondary, or even tertiary rhinoplasty to realize that there is a degree of swelling that happens postoperatively. The more times your nose is operated, the more swelling is to be expected and for a longer period of time, sometimes lasting for at least a year to a year and a half. Swelling can be managed without issue, but it is important to realize that swelling is part of the healing process. I would recommend Dr. Toriumi for anyone who desires rhinoplasty, and I would underscore the fact that he is worth the wait and worth every cent invested in the result! XM

Posted on December 14th, 2015

I was very happy but the wait time is ridiculous -every time I've been there - I have a ridiculously long wait.

Do not waste your time

Posted on July 7th, 2015

Bills for procedures not done. Only about the cosmetic aspect does not want to deal with the problem you are there for wants to sell you on plastic surgery

Posted on June 29th, 2015

I have waited a year to see what the final results would be of my rhinoplasty with Dr. Toriumi, to be fair, but unfortunately, they are very poor in my opinion. When I had my consultation with him a year ago, I told him I wanted to fix my nose for breathing problems but also wanted to keep an attractive, nose that went with my face. He didn't ask me anything in particular about what I wanted the nose to look like (red flag!), but just showed me a computerized image, which looked like my old nose, but just straighter, which was a cosmetic improvement, and he was supposedly going to fix it on the inside to make it function better. The results are nothing like what he showed me in that image. Although I thought it was odd that we didn't talk about the cosmetic look of the nose, he had me fill out a questionnaire in the presence of his fellow (he stepped out of the room at that time) where I clearly indicated certain preferences, like having an upward-turned tip. The part that he did go over with me which seems to be very important to him is the unorthodox practice of removing extra rib cartilage and "storing" it in the back of your skull.... He really pushed for my consent on that, which I really regret doing because I've had some weird nerve numbness back there in that spot at times. He was all over that, but not the actual discussion of what nose characteristics would make me happy to have on my face for the rest of my life. The results are a grotesque-looking nose that does not fit with my smaller features and which has become the dominant feature in my face - a cardinal sin for any rhinoplasty surgeon worth his salt. I now have a high, too-thick dorsum, and the tip is a round bulb that aggressively protrudes out about an inch and a half too long, because he placed a graft there that in my opinion is way too big. My pictures all come out bad because of these features that I believe would not look good on most women's faces, and certainly not mine. I feel that he did not take into consideration my features (the fact that I'm a woman!), and certainly not my cosmetic preferences. When I asked him about it, he said he did not know I wanted a different tip (if he was going to assume things, why would he imagine I would want a bulbous protruding downward tip!!!?). Bottom line is he did not bother to actually talk with me to know what I wanted, which I now realize is a huge red flag, and after paying his exorbitant fees, is infuriating. And apparently, his own substitution for what he thought it should look like is just plain ugly. What's worse, my breathing is only half-way better. When laying horizontally, my breathing is really stuffy, and there's definitely some blockage going on there. I've told him a few times already in follow up visits, but he has ignored my comments, as if I hadn't said anything. No explanation, nothing. This is definitely a case in my opinion where you don't get what you pay for (around $30,000 when you count all related expenses). I went to him because other doctors recommend him for rhinoplasty, although I was concerned about the bad reviews. Well, I know now who to believe, but i'm stuck with his work. He actually offered to fix it for me on the phone at one point, but when I flew in for the consultation, I felt he was defensive and not sufficiently communicative, which of course, didn't make me feel comfortable going through with another surgery with him, so I decided to cut my losses and leave the thing alone. I'll have to look into another Dr. if I decide in the future to correct the more grotesque aspects of his work and see if they can alleviate the stuffiness.

Toriumi isa nightmare

Posted on December 22nd, 2014

I have been contacted by news channels who are doing investigative reports on the horrendous surgeries that Dr. Dean Toriumi performs on patients. He now implements "gag orders" on patients. He thinks truthful online reviews by patients he has irreparably damaged are harmful to him!! The truth hurts poor Dr. Toriumi! And, his surrogate mother, his nurse, Pat Golden, emails and calls patients incessantly asking them to post positively about Dr. Toriumi instead of telling the truth of how they have been maimed by Dr. Toriumi. He is a disgusting person, and in now way should he be practicing medicine. You will be tortured by him. Don't even consider seeing this "doctor". He is disgusting.

Dr. Toriumi Review

Posted on September 6th, 2013

I consulted Dr Dean Toriumi 10 years ago. He was rude, mean, autocratic and seemingly disinterested. He tried to belittle me in front of his pupil. After much hesitation I decided to have surgery with him anyway because I mistook his arrogance for expertise. Following surgery my nose was extremely swollen and ugly. I was in profound shock. He offered no advice to deal with the swelling. The follow up meetings I had with him were a sick joke - with his tantrums and barely concealed condescension/disdain. Bullyboy tactics. I spent years avoiding mirrors and photographs. After a minor closed revision from a different surgeon Dr Toriumi's very bulky/clunky tip cartilage was refined down a bit, but the tip continued to drop. A year ago Dr Toriumi finally agreed to revise his own work. It was a nightmare getting him to do it. He spent a year telling me that he was waiting for "permission" to operate when in truth he was deciding by himself if he could be bothered. After this revision of his own work and two more in office needle procedures, the bulky tip is improved a bit. But it's pinched on the dorsum and there is no tip cartilage in one side of my nose. As a result, I can't breathe properly and need to find a new revision surgeon. My ear donor sites are a mess (painful to sleep on and aesthetically worse than pre-op). He has abandoned me, and in an extremely mean and condescending way. I was also the victim of a sadistic assault on the operating table by an agency nurse (in front of numerous staff witnesses who obviously all knew what they witnessed was a criminal assault) but my allegation was ignored by Dr Toriumi, his underlings and the surgical centre. I'm still trying to obtain copies of my records a year after requesting them, and Dr Toriumi and cronies are lying to the Office for Civil Rights about it. Dr Toriumi has a questionable aesthetic sense; and a tendency to be sloppy, callous and unethical. Be warned.