Dr. Don Cheatum MD Patient Reviews

3.3

January 12th, 2017
Love Dr Cheatum.
Dr Cheatium is an awesome Rheumatologist. He diagnosed me 3 years ago with SeroNegative RA when other doctors in Grayson County couldn't find what was wrong. I am so grateful to him. However the girls that work in his office are rude and hateful. Especially Bunnie !!! I feel like they could use a course in customer Service.

December 13th, 2016
When you are referred to Dr Cheatum and make an appointment, you will be told that the initial appointment can take up to 5 hours. Don't be turned off by this! He has a remarkable ability to find out what is wrong with you and help to start treating it. I thought I was going crazy, as well as my spouse, when I hurt all the time everywhere it seemed. After the initial appointment, he was able to finally provide me a diagnosis and put me on medication to slow it down. RA is not a curable disease, but it is managable. True his bedside manner is not the warmest, but he always takes the time to answer my questions and explain test results when I ask. He is a brilliant man! As to the rude staff, cut them some slack, they are there at 330am to help meet patient demads. I am sure working for the DR is not easy either. I love this doctor!

August 10th, 2016
Happy patient
I really like him. He done a lot of testing before diagnosing me. That was really impressive. I have been going back to him for a few years now. He is very professional. The medication he put me on has worked and he has adjust it to my needs. When I return he does blood work to make sure the medication is not harming anything else.

January 11th, 2015
I have been seeing Don Cheatum for a longtime and i am very pleased with his work i have went from being sick all the time to maybe one or two times a year.

December 15th, 2014
After seeing many "Rheumatologists" for many years with no real diagnosis or help, I happened upon Dr Cheatum. There were many x-rays and blood tests and I at first thought that he was just hitting the insurance for all it was worth. But then, he spend over an hour alone with me taking my history and asking tons of questions, many of which I did not see the relevance at the time. This was the first and only time that I have had a Doctor spend that much time with me. He diagnosed me and gave me prescriptions that stopped the progression of my arthritis and restored my hands to full function. I have been seeing him for over 10 years. If you want warm bedside manner and a lot of hand holding, perhaps someone else might serve your needs better. If you want an accurate diagnosis and proper meds to make you better, he is your man! For me, that is what counts.

October 23rd, 2014
Office manager (Manuela) is a witch & very hard to deal with.
The office manager Manuela is the rudest & most hateful person I have ever met. Very unsympathetic, never even looks at you while your at the check in desk, complete control freak. If you make any comment to her she makes you wait longer. I made a comment that I had been over looked & some patients were being seen before me but I had been there longer. I was not rude to her just reminded her how long I had been there. She yelled at me in front of everyone in the office. I waited a few minutes longer & left as I had an infusion treatment & was pre-medicated. Once she realized I had left she had Dorothy call me & tell me my infusion would not be covered under insurance unless I saw the Doctor after (totally false). I went back the next day on Saturday (unscheduled) & Cheatum did see me. I told him what happened & he said he would talk to her. I have had several problems with her since then. If he wasn't such a good doctor I would be long gone by now. He has helped me with my Lupus but if nothing is done with that Witch in the office I will look for care else where. Not worth being upset & unhappy.

February 28th, 2014
Overrated
I saw Dr. Cheatum 20 years ago and found him to be rude and condescending. When they advise you there could be up to a 4 hour wait that should have been a red flag. He prescribed an extremely high powered drug that, after some research, I choose not to take and on my second visit when I told him that he proceeded to severly lecture me on how I was not a doctor and should not question his instructions. I left in tears and never went back. I was shocked to see him still in practice while looking for a new Dr. I would rather be in pain the rest of my life than have to deal with that horrible man.

September 30th, 2013
Great diagnostician BUT.....
I had to leave the practice after seven years. I could have continued to wait hours, accepted listening to a live recording as communication because Dr. Cheatum is such a great diagnostician. I had looked for answers for years! However, be wary if you, too are diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis and/or psoriatic arthritis (seems everyone is!) BUT, beware of the wicked witch Manuella. If she has it in for you, for whatever reason she decides, she moves your chart to the bottom of the stack and you don't see the doc until everyone else at the end of the day. Then, you have to deal with Jabba, who must park her scooter right in front of the patient window and is totally helpless. I am so pleased that at my new rheumy's office that I am treated with kind courtesy and respect. So, get your diagnosis, then go somewhere else!

June 26th, 2013
Seeing him for about three years. I could never get him to answer the questions about the dosages and how long it would take to see some results. I tried to explain to him that I just seem to be the same as when I started seeing him and did not want to just keep taking meds without a better result. His head nurse is a complete jerk and about the sorriest excuse for a human being as I have ever seen. The last straw for me came last week when I asked a question and he lied to me and when caught in the lie sent a letter telling me he would no longer treat me. He beat me to the punch there but I have news for him, I was not coming back.

June 12th, 2013
At first great
For the first time I had a reason for all my pain it was wonderful. But 15 months I am feeling worse than before and he will not listen. He put me on one med and said it would take at 8 to 12 weeks to see if it will help or not. 5 months later he said give it another 8 weeks????? Had to remind him that I had already been on this med for 5 months. He was rude only once to me and that was right before Christmas. I know I have RA but I thought I would get better or at least feel better at some point in time. I was informed that this is a non curable disease. I was in shock. Some of the blood techs can hurt when taking blood.

March 26th, 2013
Very pleased with this doctor
I am very pleased with this doctor. I have a difficult disease to diagnose, undifferentiated spondyloarthropathy, and he made the correct dx. This was after 4 other rheumatologists were not able to figure out what was wrong with me. Consequently, I am now taking the correct medication and doing so much better than before.

January 17th, 2013
This was the rudest most impersonable Dr I have ever seen! I was so nervous & excited to find out the results of my $2,000. In testing! He called me in his office for what i thought would be an explanation for my symptoms! He handed me a stack of papers about different disease modifying drugs & a prescription already written out. Then he started mumbling into his recorder not a couple of times but literally read my whole chart into it & then he said he would see me in 6 months to see if the new drugs were working. I was floored! He didn't tell me what was wrong what he found or didn't find nothing. The only thing I knew what the few things I could make out from his mumbling. One of which was having been positive for latent TB so i asked what does that mean? Am I contagious? Do I need treatment? He seemed very upset with me that I would question him? Saying well that's why ive given you that drug because until your treated for the latent TB I can't give you anything else or it will activated it. He then walked to the door & opened it and said take this to the nurses window! That's it? We are done? Who do I see to treat this? I had so many Q's yet we were done? I will never go back & am not filling the almost $300 Rx that I don't even know why I was given!! Nor do I know what kind of Dr I need to see to treat the latent TB he gave no referral no direction nothing! I left confused with no diagnosis yet spent Literally almost $2,000 out of pocket after ALL the testing. A rediculious waste of time & money!