Dr. Donald Kastenbaum Is this you?

3.4

Have you seen Dr. Donald Kastenbaum?

A Dr too Involved with his own image to really listen to his patients!

Posted on July 15th, 2017

He may be a wonderful surgeon but there is more to good care than a perfect incision. He needs to value his patients beyond the OR. I found him patronizing, insulting, divaish and self-involved. He made me feel bad about my pain as if it was a reflection on him!

Posted on February 6th, 2017

I'm 68 years old and have never seen a doctor so indifferent to the well being of his patients

2nd Opinion

Posted on December 7th, 2016

Dr. Kastenbaum is cordial and attentive as is his PA. Lots of information is provided. I specifically was looking for the anterior approach so was directed to him by my health insurance carrier. It turned out he prefers the lateral aproach and told me the healing is approximately the same. I wanted the anterior approach nonetheless and because I qualify for this approach I did not meet with Dr. Kastenbaum again. However he was extremely helpful in alerting me to potential alergic reactions causing a general feeling of unwellness post surgery. He arranged an appointment with a dermatologist to ensure I would not have any concerns post surgery.

Be a part of the team

Posted on March 12th, 2016

Dr. Kastenbaum did a total knee replacement for me. My recovery was exactly as long and as painful as I was told that it would be by him. He believes that the medical professionals and patient act as a team. This means that the patient has to do his part. My recovery and current condition, almost 2 years post-op, are amazingly gratifying and I have no limits on what I can do or pain in doing it. My once crooked leg is now straight and true.

Knee replacement

Posted on September 20th, 2015

Doing very well.

Posted on November 20th, 2014

Dr. Kastenbaum uses antiquated technique foe hip replacement drilling holes into your thigh bone to install metal plate and wires that cause constant pain post surgery. The unnecessary hardware usually has to be removed surgically years later. I went to another Dr at HSS who told me this technique is how hip replacement s were done 30 -40 years ago and there is absolutely no need for it. Hard to believe a supposed highly regarded doctor would do this, maybe it's a short cut or a way to make money on the 2nd surgery to remove the hardware.

Bad experience all around/ still burning.

Posted on November 5th, 2014

Dr. Kastenbaum did a left hip replacement surgery for me in 1999 when the cartilage in my hip wore down following a professional dance career. Shallow hip cups were also a contributor to the excessive motility in the joint. The surgery left me with a 3/4 inch leg discrepancy. Initially, Dr. Kastenbaum suggested a lift for my shoe and then later flat out denied that he "would ever let a pt. leave his OR with a 3/4 inch leg discrepancy." After consulting with 3 other orthopedic surgeons, I was advised that indeed there is a 3/4 inch discrepancy, but there was nothing to do other than to redo the surgery, which was not advisable. Back problems persist as a result, even with the shoe heel adjustment. A lawyer was consulted and I was informed that if still actively performing, I would have a case to sue for malpractice. I did not like his attitude, long waiting time in both waiting room and exam room. His dismissiveness was insulting. Fortunately, I found good care elsewhere.

Posted on October 13th, 2014

I had hip replacement surgery with Dr. Kastenbaum in 2010 and have been in pain ever since. I have returned to Dr. Kastenbaum 3 times over the years, and each and every time all he does is look at my xray and tell me there is nothing wrong. He has no interest whatsoever in hearing about your pain symptoms, and is very dismissive of any you may describe. He insists the xray looks normal, so there is nothing wrong. After reading several bad reviews and similar complaints from other patients, I feel better knowing that I'm not the only person who continues to have pain after enduring the horrific hip replacement surgery. I thought I would feel better, but the pain is actually just as bad if not worse than before surgery. If you need hip replacement surgery, definitely look elsewhere.

Avoid at all costs

Posted on September 2nd, 2013

Does a hip replacement that no one else uses in that he puts in extra hardware that causes pain and uses the same size implant no matter what patient size. Attitude is condescending. Some staff are incompetent. Beth Israel is a third rate hospital with little concern for patient comfort. I recently had the second hip replaced by another surgeon at HSS and already that is now my "good" side. I ave to have a revision of Dr. Kastenbaum's work.

I am impress with the results!

Posted on October 25th, 2012

I had both total knee replacements by Dr. Kastenbaum. As of today, I never felt better. I am able to take long walks for 6 miles, round trip, with walker or cane. I improving and getting better walking up stairs without pain. Overall, if I continue with my routine knee exercises, I am able to flex my knees with pain.

Posted on April 19th, 2012

Had a hard case and he spent plenty of time to explain and subsequently help me with my hip. I am very grateful.

Posted on January 23rd, 2011

I love the doctor and staff