Overall Review

3.2

March 12th, 2016
Be a part of the team
Dr. Kastenbaum did a total knee replacement for me. My recovery was exactly as long and as painful as I was told that it would be by him. He believes that the medical professionals and patient act as a team. This means that the patient has to do his part. My recovery and current condition, almost 2 years post-op, are amazingly gratifying and I have no limits on what I can do or pain in doing it. My once crooked leg is now straight and true.

September 20th, 2015
Knee replacement
Doing very well.

November 19th, 2014
Dr. Kastenbaum uses antiquated technique foe hip replacement drilling holes into your thigh bone to install metal plate and wires that cause constant pain post surgery. The unnecessary hardware usually has to be removed surgically years later. I went to another Dr at HSS who told me this technique is how hip replacement s were done 30 -40 years ago and there is absolutely no need for it. Hard to believe a supposed highly regarded doctor would do this, maybe it's a short cut or a way to make money on the 2nd surgery to remove the hardware.

November 5th, 2014
Bad experience all around/ still burning.
Dr. Kastenbaum did a left hip replacement surgery for me in 1999 when the cartilage in my hip wore down following a professional dance career. Shallow hip cups were also a contributor to the excessive motility in the joint. The surgery left me with a 3/4 inch leg discrepancy. Initially, Dr. Kastenbaum suggested a lift for my shoe and then later flat out denied that he "would ever let a pt. leave his OR with a 3/4 inch leg discrepancy." After consulting with 3 other orthopedic surgeons, I was advised that indeed there is a 3/4 inch discrepancy, but there was nothing to do other than to redo the surgery, which was not advisable. Back problems persist as a result, even with the shoe heel adjustment. A lawyer was consulted and I was informed that if still actively performing, I would have a case to sue for malpractice. I did not like his attitude, long waiting time in both waiting room and exam room. His dismissiveness was insulting. Fortunately, I found good care elsewhere.

October 13th, 2014
I had hip replacement surgery with Dr. Kastenbaum in 2010 and have been in pain ever since. I have returned to Dr. Kastenbaum 3 times over the years, and each and every time all he does is look at my xray and tell me there is nothing wrong. He has no interest whatsoever in hearing about your pain symptoms, and is very dismissive of any you may describe. He insists the xray looks normal, so there is nothing wrong. After reading several bad reviews and similar complaints from other patients, I feel better knowing that I'm not the only person who continues to have pain after enduring the horrific hip replacement surgery. I thought I would feel better, but the pain is actually just as bad if not worse than before surgery. If you need hip replacement surgery, definitely look elsewhere.

September 1st, 2013
Avoid at all costs
Does a hip replacement that no one else uses in that he puts in extra hardware that causes pain and uses the same size implant no matter what patient size. Attitude is condescending. Some staff are incompetent. Beth Israel is a third rate hospital with little concern for patient comfort. I recently had the second hip replaced by another surgeon at HSS and already that is now my "good" side. I ave to have a revision of Dr. Kastenbaum's work.

October 25th, 2012
I am impress with the results!
I had both total knee replacements by Dr. Kastenbaum. As of today, I never felt better. I am able to take long walks for 6 miles, round trip, with walker or cane. I improving and getting better walking up stairs without pain. Overall, if I continue with my routine knee exercises, I am able to flex my knees with pain.

April 18th, 2012
Had a hard case and he spent plenty of time to explain and subsequently help me with my hip. I am very grateful.

January 23rd, 2011
I love the doctor and staff

November 5th, 2010
In pain for over a year after my hip replacement. After many visits where he and his assistant looked at an x ray and said "everything looks ok" I went to a different hospital for another opinion. They found some problems and I had to have a revision surgery done. I don't know why Dr. Kastenbaum did not see the same problems and offer to fix them. I am now finally fine. Be sure to get another opinion if you are in pain and he sees nothing wrong and it has been over a year!

October 19th, 2010
zero eye contact
Doctor K. spends almost no time with you and for the few minutes his "sees' you he is speaking into a tape recorder and making notes.My hip surgery was over a year ago and I am in frequent pain and discomfort- lots of aching. On follow up visits he takes an x-ray and says everything looks okay!

July 1st, 2010
abusive
Waited over 3 hours to be seen, when complained was told "that was normal for this office." complete disregard for patient's time. When finally got into exam room, was seen for a few minutes by an assistant for an initial review, and even less time with the doctor himself.