Overall Review

2.5

April 26th, 2014
Mother of patient whose death he caused, retired RN
I've written before below, entitled "my daughter is dying..." Well, eight months later she did. She had a brain tumor and a stroke when she first started to see El Kayam. Not only did he not see the brain tumor on the MRI he ordered, he did not even read the report where Radiologist clearly stated she had one there. Six months later after a follow up MRI, he had an asst. call me to tell me she had the brain tumor. He did not want to tell me himself because he knew that I would ask him if it was there six months prior. After continually questioning assistant, he finally picked up phone. He pretended to shuffle papers around and said "well, yes, it was very six months ago but it is a very slow growing tumor and has not grown in six months. He said several other things, or of which were lies. I took her to her original neurosurgeon who reviewed all her MRIs and said that not only was the tumor there six months prior when Elkayam didn't bother to read the scan or report, but it had doubled in size and that six months. This cost her her life. The skull base Neurosurgeons at Tampa General Hospital tried for almost 3 years with surgery and radiation to stop it, but it had gotten too big. They would've had a good chance of curing it if Elkayam had bothered to diligently study the scan or even read the plainly written report. In my opinion, he doesn't deserve the title of doctor. He is lazy, a liar, a coward and incompetent. As a mother of the child whose life was taken due to his many faults and incompetence, I have every right to say these things. Every doctor I ever told this story to would shake their head in disbelief. It's too late for our family, but I suggest you save your own by staying clear of him.

June 14th, 2013
ONE BAD EXPERIENCE
Every thing here is right on the mark I went to this doctor one time and I knew within my spirit that this was not the doctor I should see so I never went back.

July 13th, 2012
Long-lost college friend
I have not visited Dr. El-Kayam in his office, nor seen him in an ER. I will tell you this: he is 200% dedicated to his patients and a brilliant doctor. Every single time we've socialized he has taken on average, 10 phone calls within a 20 minute conversation. Every single time we've gotten together he's told me how he was up most of the night, taking ER calls from other neurologists and doctors who couldn't figure out a patient's problem and needed his expertise. He is able to diagnose issues quickly and accurately. I've seen him in action multiple times, over many years. I can't speak about his staff, I don't know them. If they are rude, maybe he will get them some customer service training. If you want your hand held and the good doctor to go "there, there, honey, it's ok" find another doctor. If you want your problems resolved quickly and correctly, from the best, then trust Dr. El-Kayam. If you've truly had a problem with his diagnosis, then pull on your big-boy panties and contact him through proper means...phone calls, walk in, certified manner. If you're a whiner and just want to trash him, then shame on you.

June 21st, 2012
Bad reviews are all true!
I went to see this "neurologist" for migraines,tremors,and other neurological symptoms. An MRI was done and lesions were found. To him..no big deal. He prescribed a medication that caused a sever adverse reaction. When I called the office to let the "doctor" know,his office staff placed me on hold and after about 5 or so minutes came back to the phone to advise me that the "doctor" would need to see me..next week. I asked if I should discontinue the medication and the office person said "no". I reminded her of the reaction that the first dose gave me..she was not concerned and said the "dr" advised her to tell me that "sometimes that happens but it isn't an immediate concern". With in 48 hours I was in the emergency room very sick. I was vomiting, neurological tremors worse than ever, disoriented..this list goes on. The ER physician gave me medication to help with the symptoms and did many tests...including an MRI after I told him that lesions were seen on the one I had 3 weeks prior. I was admitted to the hospital because of the test results. This "doctor" was called by the ER physician and floor doctor..This doctor responded to the first call and told them not to give me any medication other than tylenol or Motrin.Mind you my liver enzymes were elevated and the staff physicain was very concerned about this(this was due to the prescribed medication). The on staff physician originally wrote orders for something IV that did not contain tylenol or motrin.There were 25 calls placed to "Dr" Elkayam in a 24 hour period..he did not answer 1 of them nor did he show up with in 24 hours of me being admitted to the hospital. I read his post to this site and was horrified. His unprofessional and egotistical need to defend himself on a website that allows patients to freely write or comment about a doctor. In his post he claims the following.. "and I STILL PROUDLY provide inpatient/"on-call" hospital service". Maybe he proudly provides those services when he isn't inconvenienced to see his patient who advised him of the adverse reactions to the medication.He told me to keep taking this medicine that is making me ill..and I ended up HOSPITALIZED FROM HIS MISDIAGNOSIS AND MEDICATION THAT CAUSED A SEVER ADVERSE REACTION! What I had to do was sign myself out because the on staff dr did not want to go against "doctor" Elkayams orders.I fired "doctor" Elkayam and had to go back through the ER to be readmitted so the on staff doctor wouldnt have issues with "doctor"Elkayam.My stay in the hospital was 7 days under the care of a new neurologist.

March 27th, 2012
horrible and dangerous office staff
Unfortunately I would like to recommend this doctor but I cannot due to the unprofessional, disorganized, and rude office staff. I have had two incidents where the office staff nurses did not follow the doctors orders. My mother has alzheimers and every day counts. A nurse, Patty, had the audacity to not help me get a prescription refill for a higher dosage. I followed up later and she said that "the medicine did not come in a higher dose, even though the doctor gave me a sample of a higher dose. I fought 6 days to get what we needed. Today she would not order me a cd of an MRI that the doctor promised me. I even told her that I was just told by the doctor that they would order the cd and she refused. Instead she gave me a number to call. She did not care that I was concerned about this and when I then asked for a copy of additional pages the doctor said I would receive, the woman stopped, looked at me, and then said that "you know I should be charging you for all of this." I said understood and simply cared about the quality of life for my mother and that I would pay. The woman still looked annoyed. This poor quality of care from a single nurse put my mother's health at risk. A new doctor will replace Dr. E, a doctor Patel. Please use caution before going here. If Patty is there, stay away.

October 21st, 2011
poor interaction with pt
dr elkayam allows his office staff to run the place.sometimes desk staff interviews migraine pts as to wat meds they take,wen they are in excruciating pain.its like they are torturing them.

September 9th, 2011
worst doctor in tampa
this guy needs a psychiatrist. he is delusional that he cares about his patients. the truth is he is a self serving and egotistical idiot. please stay away from him. he is also crooked and has relationships with other unsavory people in tampa.

July 22nd, 2011
Has the Dr even READ the posts??!!
Dr comes on here to defend himself. Yet, if he actually read the posts, he would see that people are complaining about the fact that they HAVE received NOTHING BUT NARCOTICS/DRUGS and are NOT receiving adequate treatemnt/care/testing!! It is obvious from the Dr's post that he sees all as "Fakers" (as he put it) that are drug addicted....yet, isn't HE the one so quick to give out the meds??! All negative reviews are right, Dr! I don't care how many times he comes on to defend himself....the patients ALWAYS find out the truth! And, we posters, are NOT making it up, lying, or whatever else you (Dr) accuse us of. We are merely trying to keep others from learning the hard way, as we did! :s

July 16th, 2011
SORRY I AGREE WITH WHAT WAS SAID ABOUT YOU TOTALLY
I CAME TO SEE YOU..YOU DID NOT LISTEN TO ME..YOU DID NOT SEND ME FOR ANY OTHER TESTS WHEN I TOLD YOU THE DOCTORS SAY THEY FEEL I MIGHT HAVE MS..YOU JUST KEPT TELLING ME WHAT YOU FEEL..WHAT DRUGS YOU TAKE..AND GAVE ME ALL THESE DRUGS TO TAKE!!!! YOU ARE NOTHING MORE THAN A PILL PUSHER LIKE SOMEONE ELSE SAID HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 30th, 2011
BEWARE OF THIS DR AND HIS STAFF
His staff of non-medical individuals who literally run the office are treachearous and dangerous. Beware as they have no ethical responsibility to any state agency and are have all of your private medical records at their disposal. As for the Dr. He is dispensing drugs without even a physical examination. my pharmacy could not understand why I was being prescribed this for my condition. A very bad medical situation here that needs some serious state oversight and investigation as to it's violations of privacy and as to recognized medical practices

June 29th, 2011
NOTHING MORE THAN A PILL PUSHER WITH A DOCTORS DEGREE
DOES NOT WANT TO HEAR OR CARE WHAT YOU ARE SAYING..DOES NOT SEND YOU FOR TESTING..THINKS OTHER DOCTORS BEFORE HIM DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING..JUST WANTS TO GIVE YOU PILLS..EVERYTHING ON ALL THE SITES(RATE MD) THAT I SEE NOW AND THIS SITE ARE ALL TRUE..I SHOULD OF LOOKED BEFORE I SAW THIS DOCTOR..HE IS A TERRIBLE DOCTOR..A PILL PUSHER WITH A DOCTORS DEGREE...

June 25th, 2011
TERRIBLE DR TERRIBLE STAFF......RUN....IF YOU HAVE FIBROMYALGIA BEWARE
ALL THIS DR CAN DO IS GIVE DRUGS THAT MAKE YOU WORSE BEWARE!!! HE GAVE ME A DRUG THAT MY DRUG STORE CALLED ME ON AND WANTED TO KNOW IF I HAD HAD HEART SURGERY OR A CLOTTING PROBLEM..I SAID WHAT!!! I CALLED THE OFFICE AND THEY SAID THE DR HAD TOLD ME HE WAS PUTTING ME ON THE DRUG AND HAD GONE OVER THIS WITH ME..I SAID WHAT NO HE DID NOT !!!!-WHAT ON EARTH WOULD I NEED A DRUG LIKE THAT FOR!!!!I AM A VERY SICK PERSON I HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT DRUGS GO WITH WHAT!..ALSO UPON MY LAST VISIT TO HIM IT WILL BE MY LAST BECAUSE HE STATES ALL FIBROMYALGIA PATIENTS ARE PRETTY MUCH NOTHING MORE THAN LABELED THAT BY DOCTORS THAT HAD NOTHING BETTER TO DO THAN GIVE US THAT LABEL BECAUSE THEY COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING WRONG WITH US...HE AND ''OTHER DRS ''STATE FIBROMYALGIA DOES NOT EXIST.I SAID DO YOU WANT TO TELL THAT TO THE ARTHRITIS FOUNDATION? ALSO WHY DO YOU HAVE/WRITE SCRIPS FOR THE FIBROMYALGIA DRUG WHICH I SEE THE POSTERS ARE ALL OVER YOUR WALLS???? GEE WOULDN'T THAT DRUG COMPANY LIKE TO KNOW HOW YOUR TALKING... YOU ARE A TERRIBLE DR THAT JUST LIKES TO GIVE DRUGS OUT..YOU DO NOT HAVE MY TRUST AT ALL..AND NOW TO ADD FUEL TO THE FIRE I AM GETTING COLLECTION CALLS BECAUSE YOUR OFFICE STATES THAT YOUR OFFICE '''HAD TO SWITCH'' BILLING PRACTICES AND MY BILL ACCIDENTALLY ALONG WITH HUNDREDS OF OTHERS GOT SENT TO COLLECTION BY MISTAKE..YOUR OFFICE WAS TO CALL COLLECTION..YOU DID NOT..I HAD TO SEND A CERTIFIED LETTER TO THE COLLECTION COMPANY TO STOP OR I WILL SUE FOR HARRASSMENT BECAUSE I WAS GETTING TWO CALLS A DAY ..AND BECAUSE I HAVE INSURANCE...WITH ALL THIS I AM DONE...WITH ALL THIS PEOPLE RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!