Dr. Frederick Silvers MD Patient Reviews

• Psychiatry Los Angeles, CA

3.0

April 28th, 2015
No good
I will admit that Dr. Silvers knows his medicines, but after seeing him over a two years period, I noticed a pattern. The average consultation with him is around 30-45 minutes. I would say half of that is just him rambling. He talks about his kids, his colleagues and most of all politics. Sometimes he would rant for 5 minutes at a time about politics. He would also cancel appointments all the time. It was usually the day of the appointment, hours before our meeting. Last time I walked into his office, after having to reschedule, he started the session by telling me he doesn't have much time to talk, that he has a lot on his mind... His daughter getting into a prestigious college. This is how he starts a session. Then after babbling on about his own life, when I try to talk about my feelings he shows me his watch and tells me how he doesn't have this much time for me, that it has already been 40 minutes. This is after he brought me into his office 20 minutes late, after a lunch break, with no one ahead of me. Did I mention this is also AFTER he cancelled on me? When I managed to get a word in, he would always change the subject to himself, or how all of my problems are my fault. I get it, but that's why I am come to see him! I don't need to be insulted for my 30 minutes with, not for what I pay. That brings me to his payment methods. The first visit with him was over an hour, which was great, but then he charged $250 cash. Then after that, I was told his consultations will be $60. I checked numerous times with my insurance who assured me my co-pay should only be $10. His office explained this as insurance bureaucracy, and that Silvers wasn't making as much as he should be. To compound this, he would complain to me that I don't come in enough. Sorry, but I can't afford to spend $60 every week or two, especially when we are no talking out my problems. He would also send me to friends of his to examine me, and they of course did not accept insurance. At all. This begins to why I initially met with him. I have a rare medical condition that is hard to deal with. I spend many hours a week learning about my condition, so granted, I understand it better than someone who barely lets me talk about it. He would dig in his heals any time I asked about just trying a new medication to help me get on with life. He instead would resist just trying something, and tell me that I would need to find someone else. I get it, psychiatrist are smarter than all their patients. But I came to him to get help, to try an work through something. Instead, he'd rather talk about himself and his accomplishments. This doctor is not worth it for anyone trying to actually improve their condition. He seems more intent on insulting patients and collecting money.

January 13th, 2014
Administrative Staff completely inept and rude
Dr. Silver's administrative staff is ignorant and incapable of processing basic paperwork at the cost of their patients. His staff failed to properly submit an insurance claim. The services were 100% covered by my insurance provider, however more information and supporting documentation was requested. Instead of being compliant and following up, his office staff decided to sit on it for over 2 years and let it accrue interest charges before sending it to a Collections Agency. Dr. Silver's office will hold patients responsible for charges that should be paid out by the insurance company. I am now being harrassed by a Collector for an outstanding amount of over 2k. I am trying to assist with the insurance claim so Dr. Silvers can receive payment, however his office admin. refuses to return my calls or provide any type of document or support.

May 9th, 2013
Weird guy, good with meds
I agree with many of the other writers that he's a really weird guy personally, however he is excellent for medication management and knows a lot more than the average psychiatrist on this topic. Usually very late for your appointment but will always see you immediately in an emergency which is a problem I've had with previous doctors.

March 19th, 2012
Best Doctor
He tells it like it is. He won't skirt around the issue or coddle you. Instead, he tries to get at the heart of the issue and help you grow as a person within yourself. If you want someone to just listen, then this is not the doctor for you. He will dialogue with you to try and FIX the issue, not just put a temporary band aid on it with medicine.

February 3rd, 2012
New patient, in need of depression meds, kept waiting more than one hour, and therefore left office
After numerous calls with Dr. Silvers' courteous office staff, in order to make an initial appointment for him to review my case for continuation of necessary anti-depression medication, I arrived on time for the scheduled appointment, but after waiting 65 minutes to see this $500 per hour doctor, I left his office. This situation bespeaks lack of professionalism and arrogant disregard for the a new patient.

September 30th, 2011
unprofessional and not caring
I agree with other reviewers that said he talks too much about himself. Usually had to wait 45 minutes or more inside my car (his office is in his house). Dr. Silvers also made unappropriated comments at times and made staying alone in the room with him very uncomfortable. Although he seems knowledgeable I would not recommend his services. He is like a genius professor that can't teach and make you feel too stupid to learn.

August 16th, 2011
Unprofessional, do not see this doctor!
Very unprofessional. This doctor mixes way too much of his personal life with his treatment. You feel you can open up to him because of his "cool" personality but as you proceed to let him in he completely uses it against you. He talks way too much about himself instead of using a professional manor and discussing your issues at hand. I often felt uncomfortable telling him things, I didn't feel as though I could trust him even though he tries to make you feel you can. His appointments run longer than an hour and in turn you are billed for it. I was billed an extensive amount more for different appointments when they all ran the same amount of time which made me feel I was getting ripped off, he had no documentation for those certain visits. Work with a different doctor!!

May 25th, 2011
Unprofessional, waste of time, move on...
Unprofessional approach to working with patients. Wasted 2 months of my time. I called for an appointment, and was scheduled 3 weeks out for my initial appointment. The HOUR before of the appointment, I received notice that it was canceled due to the Dr.'s illness. That was OK, I asked to reschedule but they told me they needed to get back to me. Over a week later, they called back only to tell me they would no longer accept my insurance. But I was welcome to come in again (and wait another 3 weeks) if I would pay $300 out of pocket.

May 10th, 2011
Abusive - Watch out for this one
This doctor needs to learn to listen and not abuse patients. He has a nice office though..perfect office for someone with an ego that gets his kicks off of keeping others down. He is an intelligent person, overly developed intelligence at the expensive of empathy. BTW also expect to be put on the latest designer drugs as he's closely affiliated with all the pharma companies and the girls they send in their. What happens behind those doors I'm not sure, but your insurance company is paying for it. Tell you that.Don't believe me? Go try him. But pay careful attention to your feelings and make sure you have somebody else to talk to about your visits, or you might just find yourself lower than where you started.Good luck.

March 7th, 2011
Dr. Silvers
Dr. Silvers staff is very responsive and answers all questions and concerns about medication. The fees are reasonable considering his depth of experience, education, and his involvement in current neurological research.

October 8th, 2010
Worst ive ever been treated by an office
-First visit: rescheduled then I still waited over 2 hours in the waiting room.-Many reschedules before they could get me in to a 2nd appointment. Lots of cancellations as I was already on my way over.-2nd appointment: 45 min wait. The doctor is a pretty nice guy but what can get done in 2 appointments?-about 4 more appointments canceled on me. When I finally got to the building without a call they said hes going to be another 30 minutes. I waiting a little, then they said sorry he has cancelled all his appointments for today.At this point I am done trying to see this doctor.I saw him twice and was basically unable to schedule more. I see this as stealing, he will take my big start up fee + cost of 2 appointments then I can't even schedule more. Doctor never even called me to apologize.

September 29th, 2010
Medicine prescriber, makes you wait
This doctor has a great quirky personality, but he is never ever ever on time, he cancels frequently, he talks more about himself than he asks you about you, and he is always quick to prescribe medication. Just not a true caring doctor. I would NOT recommend this doctor.