Obstetrician & Gynecologist (OB/GYN)

East Campus
Mid-Missouri Reproductive Medicine and Surgery
1506 E Broadway
Ste 220
Columbia, MO 65201
573-443-4511
Locations and availability (2)

3.0

• Currently 3.1923076923077 of 4 stars
 |  Amazing!  |  show details
Apr 2nd, 2014

I have just had one appointment so far with Dr. Wilshire. He was really helpful and gave us a lot of information. Now I know all the mistakes I was making with my diet and exactly how to fix them. I'm overweight with PCOS and cannot get pregnant. Dr. Wilshire wasn't afraid to say it either which I really liked. All the women on here complaining about that really need to get over it. If you want to get pregnant bad enough you will do whatever it takes. Trust me switching to the paleo diet was the hardest thing I have ever done (I LOVE bread). But it is possible. I've lost 12 pounds so far just by cutting out carbs, it's amazing. Don't be mad about him telling you that you need to drop some weight. His goal is to help you have a baby so stop denying that you could stand to lose some weight and just try it.... it WILL help!

Sep 1st, 2013

Dr. Wilshire and his staff were amazing. From the moment I called for information, to the day I took my sweet baby to visit Dr. Wilshire it was a great place to be. Our appointments were always on time, and they gave us costs up front. I had been to another doctor for years, and knew there was more to the story on why we could not conceive. Within a few minutes Dr. Wilshire knew what the problem was, he told us exactly what to do, we followed his instructions and four months after our first visit became pregnant. We couldn't be happier!

|  Rude, Unable to see and talk.  |  show details
Jun 2nd, 2013

We agree with others, we don't know how in the world Dr. Wilshire keeps his job! He is extremely rude and uncaring. He may be cheaper than others but that is all he has going for him. He never calls or talk to the patient, every thing nurses has to do. Nurses has to do all the procedure, while he likes to watch the report and some times he did not care the report too. No feed back and bedside manners. For us, the care and professionalism outweighed the small amount of savings we "might" have gotten by using his service. Trust us, your time is too precious to waste it with him. Some other geniuses are here around him following idiotic ways.

May 13th, 2013

So, I just wanted to share the success that I have had with Dr. Wilshires services! I have PCOS and one my first cycle with an IUI got pregnant. I did have to change my diet to the Paleo diet and lost almost 20 pounds in about a month and a half. But, it was very worth it and I can't believe how amazing my experience has been.

|  Excellent Doctor  |  show details
by Emily on Apr 20th, 2013

After visiting four other doctors in town, all stumped about what was going on with me (some suggested it was in my head), a friend recommended Dr. Wilshire and said he was good. He spent a good deal of time going over my previous blood work and a lot of other testing and said he thought it might be something that is pretty rare, but I'd not been tested for it. A week later, when the labs were back, I got the call that that was what it was! I had an answer! I am so grateful for Dr. Wilshire and his expertise!

|  Hearing Is Not Listening  |  show details
by Alkestis on Apr 12th, 2013

I saw this physician once, and only once. I had a perplexing hormonal problem which took two specialists (out of state) to solve. Not only did Dr. Wilshire not believe me when I described my symptoms to him (the most notable of which were extreme fatigue and unexplained and rapid weight gain), he told me I would have to "choose" between being tired all the time and gaining weight. This is a problem with a number of physicians today; rather than making diagnoses based on a combination of blood work and symptoms, as has been done in the past and is, among recent graduates, being done again, they rely solely on blood tests. Obviously this is insufficient; a number of disorders that might be discovered through blood tests take a good deal of time to appear (mine took a year) even if the symptoms are manifest. Some, depending on the severity and nature of the disorder and the day one has blood labs drawn, never do. Not having known this at the time, I left my blood work with him in early December, and was promised a call back. It's April, and I've still heard nothing. I cannot be more grateful to my out of state physicians for not only having believed me, but for pursuing treatment based on a sensible combination of blood work analysis and *listening to their patient.* If you have hormonal or PCOS-related issues, there *are* other specialists even here within Columbia. I urge you not to seek his aid. Further, the other comments posted regarding his inappropriate and often insulting comments are wholly true. Just because I am not clinically overweight does not mean I am comfortable with his tossing around of terms like "fat girls." People pay a goodly amount to see physicians with the expectation that they will be listened to, treated courteously, and helped. While he certainly *heard* me, I cannot say that I feel I was listened to; there was no courtesy involved, and I most certainly was not helped.

Apr 11th, 2013

I've just had my first appointment with him. I couldn't be happier. Very good at his job and at making you feel comfortable and confident with treatment !

|  Really really good at what he does  |  show details
Apr 11th, 2013

I can't believe that I'm reading posts that people don't like Dr. Wilshire! I've just started going to him this month and honest to goodness NEVER had a doctor who was better than him! He was very helpful, informative, and knowledgable. I can see that he may seem harsh to women that are overweight, but the pure facts are that weight an diet matter when trying to get pregnant. I feel very confident in his abilities and can't wait for my next appointment..!

|  Great dr  |  show details
Nov 15th, 2012

Overall my experience was a good one, Dr Wilshire seems to know what he is talking about on most things, a little bit confusing on others such as medications that are generally ok'd by OBGYN's. The wait time to get in was a little over what I expected but I think that is because he takes his time with each patient.

|  Healthy  |  show details
Sep 30th, 2012

My husband and I are in the "trying" process of pregnancy and for those who have complained about Dr. Wilshire and his rudeness with treating obese women...here is the straight fact.. he has mentioned to us and made comparisons in treating those who are slim vs. those who are "overweight". We relate to his attitude and to those who are overweight, this may not be the comment that you would want to hear from your doctor. However, this is a point blank fact of life and being overweight may present a harder time for those trying. I am not defending Dr. Wilshire. I am simply informing the facts and if you are considering wanting to see him and a bit overweight, then come prepare and possibly accept criticism to make a better change for oneself and the possibility of bringing another life into the worlld.

|  Go Elsewhere!  |  show details
Sep 12th, 2012

We agree with others, we don't know how in the world Dr. Wilshire keeps his job! He is extremely rude and uncaring. He may be cheaper than others but that is all he has going for him. For us, the care and professionalism outweighed the small amount of savings we "might" have gotten by using his service. Trust us, your time is too precious to waste it with him!

|  rude  |  show details
Aug 6th, 2012

dr. wilshire is very rude with no bedside manner. I honestly dont know how he keeps a job.

|  Wonderful  |  show details
May 30th, 2012

My husband I saw dr wilshire in january. I had many things wrong. He did surgery t end of January. We began clomid in February with only a script for four months. We got pregnant in April. We have had two ultrasounds since and things are going great. He is wonderful. He is funny and very caring. His surgical nurse is incredible also!

May 18th, 2012

After interviewing various fertility clinics in the Columbia, MO area, there are definitely better options than this one.

|  Would NOT recommend  |  show details
Apr 20th, 2012

Very inappropriate & insensitive to couple's fertility situations. He's all about the money.

|  In my Case he was spot on!  |  show details
Mar 10th, 2012

I am thankful to Dr. Wilshire, I was worried about getting pumped up with fertility drugs with out addressing the problem. I was overweight and it had been hinted that I might have PCOS. Dr. Wilshire was frank about me being insulin resistant causing PCOS, gave me a low carbohydrate diet plan to follow (I still keep mine to about 100 a day). With in 3 months I about 40lbs and was pregnant with my first of 3 wonderful boys (4yrs, 2yrs, and 7 months). I never took any fertility drugs. I did have another OB during pregnancy (Emotionally more compatible for me) but I have to say Dr. Wilshire got it all started for me and I couldn't be more thankful.

|  Beware, some doctors want to take your money and then blow you off!  |  show details
Oct 23rd, 2011

During our first few appointments with the doctor, he did nothing but harp about my wife being overweight and that her being overweight was a problem with our ability to conceive. Just so you know my wife has a few extra pounds but is not grossly obese. After spending thousands of dollars on the doctor and multiple invasive procedures, the doctor seemed to through his hands up in the air and brought us into his office to tell us that trying to have a child was never going to happen for us and that we should learn to cope with that fact. After switching doctors and one minor procedure later we are pregnant.

|  great doctor and staff!  |  show details
Aug 4th, 2011

We have had a hard time getting pregnant and we were sent to Dr. Wilshire, he was a little different at first, he jokes around a lot but he was great help! He helped us find the problem, did surgery, and I got pregnant! He also seen my for 3 ultrasounds till i was comfortable enough to go to an OB doctor, if he delivered babies I would stay with him! He was awesome!!!! And so are all the nurses, they will answer any questions you have!

Apr 19th, 2011

HORRIBLE! Unlike the other reviewer, I would NOT recommend this specialist. After our first appointment, both my husband and I felt like we had just talked to a used car salesman (sorry, we can't think of any other way to describe it). Although I am an older female, I have had two successful pregnancies without fertility treatment. It's a very long story (we have been seeing Dr. Whilshire for almost a year) but after 2 IUIs (one ending in a miscarriage), I was told by this doctor that I there were no more fertility treatments available to me given my high FSH level. For those of you who are in the midst of the fertility treatment process, you know that a high FSH level is not good but it is NOT a death sentence. Dr. Whilshire presented my results as a death sentence AND then told me he was behind in appointments and quickly excused himself. Luckily, I demanded to be prescribed Clomid and we did our third IUI (going against his recommendation). We are currently 7 weeks pregnant and with God's grace we will have a healthy baby. If you are in the Columbia area, I know the options for fertility specialists are limited. I would HIGHLY enocurage you to either try the other specialist in Columbia or go to Dr. Silber at St. Luke's Hosptial in STL. We went to an initial appointment with Dr. Silber as a "back-up" in case this third IUI didn't work. Dr. Silber is extremely knowledgable and uses the most current technology available (i.e. micro-IVF)! He's not in this field for the statistics (as we feel Dr. Whilshire is) and is willing to help you have that miracle baby reagardless of what your FSH levels or statistics may be. Regardless of who you choose for your feritility specialist, DO YOUR HOMEWORK and don't take one doctor's opinion as gospel.

Feb 8th, 2010

AMAZING!!! I have never felt so confident in myself after leaving a drs office, he was very to the point, educated me on everything i needed, gave me tons of information and just let me know that they are here for me and made me feel like in the near future i will be a mother!! I have so much confidence in him...he is just amzing!