Pain Management Specialist, Surgical Specialist

His patients are very fortunate show details His patients are very fortunate
by Allene Nelson on Nov 22nd, 2014

Dr. Boka is the best pain specialist I have ever had. He truly cares about his patients. He takes the time to diagnose the problems correctly, wanting to find the exact area needing treatment. Generous with his time. When he left McAlester, Oklahoma I was bereft, especially since his wife, Dr. Suzanna Boka was my personal physician whom I depended for and trusted also. Finding a doctor is tough and finding an excellent one is even tougher, especially when you have severe pain issues. I found two! We are now in the D.C. area but still too far away. I send my deepest regards to the Drs. Boka.

NO DOCTOR COVERING FOR ABSENCES show details NO DOCTOR COVERING FOR ABSENCES
Nov 13th, 2013

NO DOCTOR COVERING FOR ABSENCES Dr. Boka and his staff WERE very nice to me but now I've seen their true nature and am inappropriately labeled as a "drug seeker," a VERY STRONG LABEL that will likely prevent my obtaining pain management services in the future but, despite being put on WAY TOO detox. MANY PAIN MEDS, that means Cold Turkey Detox! As I've told them, I am a NYS CASAC Emeritus our in plainer terms, a Credentialed Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Professional, Emeritus for the years I worked in the field prior to becoming disabled. Ironically, I have much more knowledge about addiction vs dependence than they apparently do. Dr. Ike Boka is an Anesthesiologist, NOT BOARD CERTIFIED IN PAIN MANAGEMENT!! He is note hardly in the office as he apparently has to work primarily outside his office as an Anesthesiologist to make money. I called to make an EMERGENCY APPOINTMENT to discuss a very, very painful chest contusion from a bad fall (because of my lower back issues) and was told he was busy all day and wouldn't be in the office the rest of the week!! This is when I found out her has no coverage for when he's not in the office though NO ONE WOULD ACTUALLY SAY THESE WORDS. I now see that the "do no harm" requirement for professionals is not taught in Romania where he and his wife are from originally. Here is what occurred: I somehow directly landed on my upper chest onto a ceramic floor. The pain, no matter being on pain meds, was excruciating. I did not go to the ER immediately waiting several days. The pain didn't lessen so I went, especially since I feel directly on my heart and did not know if I had broken/fractured a rib and/or caused heart damage. Because I have NEVER ABUSED PAIN MEDS, especially since I know better, I was honest regarding what I was prescribed by Dr. Boka. In addition, because of taking the meds for years, I am PHYSICALLY DEPENDENT UPON THEM and so they GIVE ME LITTLE TO NO PAIN RELIEF! A true Pain Management Doctor and his staff would know this, one would think. Anyway, for the next week I could not sleep, was in horrific pain and took a Percoset during the night in addition to my regular daytime routine. My first thoughts in the ER and afterwards was consumed by pain. Realizing I would run low on my prescription,after a weeks time, I called Dr. Boka's office for help. I had never made a call regarding running low on meds EVER during all the years I've gone there. The non-medical receptionist told me that since I had an appointment on Monday (the following week) I shouldn't be concerned that Dr. Boka WAS NOT AVAILABLE FOR AN EMERGENCY APPOINTMENT AND WOULD BE OUT OF THE OFFICE FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK! This was on Tuesday. I asked to speak to the nurse (probably an LPN) and was sent to her voicemail. I was admittedly VERY UPSET when leaving the message. I called back a couple of hours later and said I needed to speak to someone that day since the doctor wasn't going to be in the rest of the week. Melanie said I would get a return call. When Katie called me back, she was full of excuses and even LIES about how they couldn't help me. I finally hung up on her, disgusted. I know the NYS laws that changed in 2-2013, had spoken to my REGULAR PHARMACIST about what I could do and called back, intending to calmly make my point but my PTSD kicked in and I couldn't stop crying while confronting Katie via answering machine. Their BIGGEST EXCUSE NOT TO HELP ME? I DIDN'T CALL THE DAY I FELL!! "Go to the ER," I told. I said, "I've already BEEN to the ER!!" The reply, "There's nothing we can do." Though Katie said she had Dr. Boka listen to my first message, I honestly didn't believe her as he had always come across as a caring man. So I called his answering service as this was the only way to speak directly to him and I had an emergency! Dr. Boka was a MEAN SOB WHEN HE CALLED BACK! "Don't ever call my cell phone!!" Obviously, I did no such thing. "I KNOW YOU'RE JUST TRYING TO MAKE ME FEEL GUILTY!" I thought to myself, "huh? That's nuts!" I denied the whole guilt BS and confronted him with, "Taking 5 pills instead of 4 per day when essentially being up nearly 24hrs/day because of the stabbing pain from the injury IS NOT ABUSE IF MEDICATION! He wanted to know what the ER instructed and they said to take the meds I was on. Again, AT THE TIME, as I told Katie and now him, I WAS'NT THINKING ABOUT MEDS!!! I was just relieved my bones were'nt broken and my heart was okay. I then asked him two direct questions: 1. Who was the doctor or physicians assistant providing coverage when he's not available and 2. Why was he allowing me to suffer detoxing until my next appointment. He didn't address these questions. Instead, "GO TO AN EMERGENCY ROOM," I was ordered and I said, "Don't worry. I certainly won't call or l you again! He hung up. I'm not sure what I'll ultimately do, probably nothing, ie, complain to the NYS Medical Licensing agency which was my first thought. Instead, I will hopefully find a better qualified Pain Management Doctor to work with if they haven't totally trashed me in my chart as exhibiting, "Drug Seeking Behavior," the catch phrase for "Addict abusing meds."

Jan 31st, 2013

Dr Ike is great and Lauren and Katie are awesome, very helpful caring young ladies! However beware that Dr ikes wife pushes IV meds in assisting him with his procedures and she is rude very abrasive person. He would be better off hiring a more suitable person for this position rather than using his wife!

Great Doctor and Staff!!!!! show details Great Doctor and Staff!!!!!
Sep 6th, 2012

The doctor is great. The staff are f=great as well, very friendly, helpful and caring grils!!!!I would highly recommend this office to fellow pain suffers they care!

Very caring, and Knowledgeable show details Very caring, and Knowledgeable
Oct 11th, 2010

Dr. Boka is by far the best Doctor I have ever been to. He is extremely knowledgeable takes the time to explain things. He is through and caring, he is easy to talk to. Here is a Great doctor if you can get past his office staff, they are snobby,unfriendly,difficult to deal with.

Mar 20th, 2010

Perhaps I'm dating myself but "I like Ike" I have found him honest and straight forward and always concerned with your quality of life.