Surgical Specialist, Orthopaedic Surgeon

3.0

• Currently 2.9047619047619 of 4 stars
 |  Spinal Surgery  |  show details
by ED on May 7th, 2014

I had years of back and leg pain leg numbness at times I wasn't to walk .After Dr. Maxwell operated on my lower back I am now 98% pain free and able to go for long walks & function as I did years ago A BIG THANK DR MAXWELL

|  The Best  |  show details
by Mary M. on Apr 11th, 2014

After all else failed Dr. Maxwell saved the day or should I say a lifetime of no more pain.

|  MR.  |  show details
by Gerhard Schaacke on Apr 9th, 2014

After an injury caused by a fall I saw Dr Maxwell and was informed that a surgical procedure was my only help I trusted Dr. Maxwell right from the start and as a result of the accident he had to operate on me 3 Times with in the last 10 years . I will never be the same as before but Dr Maxwell gave me some life back and I can move around ,be active and I was able to reduce the pain medication drastically. He is my Hero

|  Love this Doctor!  |  show details
by Tammy on Mar 13th, 2014

I have had 4 back surgeries in less than 8 years all performed by Dr. Maxwell - 3 major surgeries on my lower back, 1 not so major surgery on my neck - all have been fusions and all have involved the use of titanium. I did my research. I got my second opinions. I have found him and his office to be nothing but wonderful and competent! People expect way too much out of back surgery - it's not a miracle cure. If your back is a mess, do not have surgery unless you have no other options and the pain truly affects your daily quality of life - otherwise, your expectations are too high and if you're a grumpy person then even God wouldn't be able to make you happy. Because the hospital staff didn't meet your expectations or because you didn't do your research and understand the risks and complications or perhaps you don't communicate like you should with your doctor and staff about something as critical as spinal surgery - please don't blame it on the surgeon or his staff!

|  R.N.  |  show details
Dec 5th, 2013

Dr Maxwell is a dangerous man. I HAD to have him as my back surgeon per Work Comp. During surgery he sutured my bladder to my abdominal wall which has caused severe problems since. Post op I ran a fever of 106!!! He had already signed my discharge papers the day of surgery and I ended up in the hospital for 6 more days! I knew he was a scary surgeon and begged work comp to let me see another doctor. After I recovered I told him about the bladder and his response was "that's interesting". Please anyone needing surgery find someone else!

|  Didn't fuse - didn't fix  |  show details
Oct 8th, 2013

After this surgeon performed a fusion on me, I had ongoing pain which didn't subside. He simply looked at an x-ray he took in his office and "claimed" that bone was growing and that everyone else heals up. There was no bone growing (as discovered later by MRI and CAT scans), and no fusion despite his words otherwise. In fact, two other surgeons in town evaluated the area of the fusion and were aghast that (a) I not only wasn't fused, but (b) that the Dr. didn't address the ongoing pain. Thank God for a physical therapist who suspected something was seriously wrong after extensive physical therapy. I was evaluated by three specialists -- two in town and one at a nationally famous spine center. All three surgeons were in synch. Regardless, this surgeon didn't stand by his work, and didn't diagnose the ongoing pain. A very simple CAT scan demonstrated "no bone."

|  Excellent Surgeon!  |  show details
by Lynn G. on Apr 4th, 2013

Dr. Maxwell diagnosed my problem and treated me correctly where 3 other doctors had failed me. I sustained a ruptured disc at L5-S1 and bilateral pars fractures 9 months ago that had failed to heal. I got to the point where I could not walk unassisted and I was in terrible pain. He was the FIRST one to study my MRI's in-depth with me and discuss my treatment options. He removed the ruptured disc and performed a spinal fusion, and he placed rods and screws to stabilize the fractures. It has been 3 weeks since the surgery and I am recovering very well. My follow-up X-rays look PICTURE PERFECT. I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Maxwell for his honesty, skill, and understanding!

|  show details
Sep 1st, 2012

Dr. Maxwell operated on my back over 5 years ago inserting 4 titanium screws. I have never had another problem since that time. Mu Sciatac pain was gone immediately after the surgery. He was very professional and caring. I have recommended him to may other people.

|  Dr. James H. Maxwell  |  show details
by Jonathan Owens on Sep 10th, 2011

On a scale of 1 to 10, I give this Dr. a 12, attention to details as small and personal as prescribing a nicotine patch for me, being a smoker that means a lot when you're lying in a hospital bed and begining recooperition from neck surgury, whitch by the way was a fantastic success

|  This man restored my faith in doctors  |  show details
Sep 8th, 2011

From my first meeting with him he has impressed me with his ability to talk on my level and make me understand what was happening to my neck. As for his caring, He is the only one to write a script for a nicotine patch while I was in the hospital.Till my dying day I will recomend Dr. James H. Maxwell as the best Dr. any where in the world, and by the way the pain that was(key word was) in my left arm, is gone.Thank You DOC

|  arrogant  |  show details
Jun 29th, 2011

this dr. was in such a hurry to get me under his knife that he messed me up worst and than he left me in the hospital for the staff to take care of me. The night nurses were better then this quack. had to go on morhpine for the pain he left me in 2 yrs later I am still on them. seeing a new dr. who now has to fuse me back.

Apr 27th, 2011

Dr. Maxwell was fantastic in helping me understand my back problem. Other spine surgeons in the valley were eager to do surgery but I was scared and didn't think it was necessary. Dr. Maxwell took his time to walk me through the problem and with the right conservative treatment I feel better. I know down the road I may need surgery and I would definitely go to Dr. Maxwell. Overall, highly recommend.

|  Seriously unprofessional  |  show details
Apr 20th, 2011

I saw this person in October of 2010. His comments to me were:I have a waiting room full of people who would love to have your MRI (it was two and one half years old) & there is nothing I can do for you. In March of 2011(5 months later) Dr. Jimmy Chow said I needed a total hip replacement. So thank you Mr. Maxwell for showing your true colors and thank God for Dr. Chow!

|  WORST EXPERIENCE EVER!  |  show details
Sep 1st, 2010

Our experience with Dr. Maxwell was beyond unpleasant. My husband is a diabetic and was scheduled for back surgery early on a Monday morning. After waiting several hours, they finally prep him for surgery, but the hospital had to page Dr. Maxwell for another hour, as he mysteriously disappeared. The doctor informed us that we would be discharged an hour after surgery, however, the hospital moved him upstairs and wouldn't let us leave because they could not get a hold of the doctor. The hospital delivered a non-diabetic meal, which we refused. After the correct meal arrived, they wouldn't administer his insulin, as the chart from the doctor didn't have any instructions regarding a diabetic patient. After several attempts of trying to reach the doctor, we were finally allowed to leave the hospital, 10 hours later. Our follow up visit took less than 5 minutes. I asked that the doctor come in to discuss the surgery and exactly what he did and what to expect and he acted like we were burdening him with our questions. After four weeks of physical therapy, Dr. Maxwell denied our request for another prescription, requiring us to pay out of pocket for the next 8 weeks, as insurance wouldn't cover the PT without a prescription from the doctor. Dr. Maxwell lacks characteristics it takes to be condsidered a good person, let alone a good doctor.

|  surgery  |  show details
Jul 25th, 2010

We just found out when he did my surgery he put one of the screws in my spinal canel instead of beside it. Now I'm in so much pain and my legs are numb.

|  waste of time  |  show details
by mark on Jul 23rd, 2010

called to make an appointment, they had to call me back. took them 1 day. finally made appointment had to go to a different facility to get an xray. day of appointment had to wait for an hour to see him. he examined me for about 5 minutes.