Family Physicians, Internist
470 Toll Gate Rd
Ste 103
Warwick, RI 02886
401-203-9304
Locations and availability (2)

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Terrible Experience  |  show details
by Concerned ex-patient on Jun 11th, 2014

Mr Callahan (rather not refer to him as a doctor) has been the worst doctor I've ever been to. On the first visit he had no specialists names that he could refer me to for the help that i needed as well as completely rude staff who harassed me upon arrival and leaving. I decided to leave and asked for my records as he stood by and let the staff harass me while waiting patiently. Upon arriving home i sat down to read the records he wrote on me and he put down false information. Seeing that he is affiliated with Kent Hospital it is a total embarrassment to our community. This so called Doctor is being dominated by his staff and his ignorance to his patients. His rating should be a zero with his verbal outburst and maybe he should be a janitor in Kent Hospital with no communications at all with the public.

|  Just like the great family doctors we used to have.......  |  show details
by Tom Hobin on Apr 2nd, 2014

I'm a 68 year old male who has been going to Dr.Callahan for the last 2 yrs. I'm moving gto Fla. in 2 weeks and wish I could take this Doctor with me. He is like the great General practicioners that we had in the "old days". He's caring, extremely knowledgeable, down to earth, and prepared at each of my appointments. He has guided me through some major operations including choosing a surgeon and participating in my follow-ups. I have recommended him to many people and they all thank me afterward.

|  never calls back  |  show details
by maestra on Mar 12th, 2014

I have been a patient of Dr C's for a few years now. I am thinking about switching. For most of my conditions I have to see specialists but for colds I see him. Except for Kerrie the staff is improving. I note he never calls back on the day you call with a problem- especially if he saw you that day - then you have to keep calling back to get a response. When I asked him about this he said he never got the message. This has happened three times. Another patient told me he is a 9-5 MD and likes to be at home with his family at night. He should not have become an MD. then as itis a 24hr job. I do not doubt he is a smart man, but he doe s not realize he has an obligation to respond to patient. The old PCP is gone I realize that- the one who delivered babies and called back even at 10pm but this is a bit too much. His staff- Kerrie still has not developed as a front desk person- she takes a personal call while scheduling your next appt and sending in an Rx for you. No wonder things get mixed up.

|  show details
Jan 28th, 2014

Very rude receptionist Loud office Would not recommend to anyone

|  Best Family Physician in RI  |  show details
by Mrs. Marzano on Jan 12th, 2014

Dr. Callahan is not only a very smart Physician, but he is kind and understanding. He takes time to know his patients and when you leave you no you have received the best medical care you could have here in RI. The Dr.'s office staff is always fantastic they are just a pleasure and always a smile on their face!

|  Not Pleased  |  show details
by Benjamin Jack on Jan 7th, 2014

Dr. Callahan was my doctor for 3-4 years. Still not sure how I feel about him, and his office. Here are a few topics I feel are factors on how I feel about his practice. Wait time - I understand waiting for a doctor. Ive had about 5 visits in my time with the Dr, and I can honestly say that I usually wait AT least 1 hour before being seen by him. It seems he generally is double or triple booked on a daily basis. Once, I waited just under 2 hours. Unacceptable. The visit itself - Dr Callahan is a nice enough guy, knowledgeable, and friendly. Ive never felt uncomfortable or uneasy talking to him about anything concerning my health. Referrals - Let me describe a situation that occurred to me a year ago. It was about 4:00pm on weekday, and I knew I had some sort of strep infection in my throat (I get them often, so am very aware of the symptoms). Knowing his office was closing soon, and that I was no where near his office, I went to a walk-in clinic. After filling out paperwork, etc, I learned my insurance required a referral to go to a walk-in clinic. I called Dr Callahans office just before closing, and asked for them to send one over. They said they could not- as it was unethical for them to do so without seeing me first, in person. I had to leave the clinic, and wait til the next day to see the doctor. Lo and behold, I had strep. The situation puzzled me, so I called my insurance company. Turns out, it is VERY common practice for a doctor to send a referral (especially in this situation) to a walk-in without seeing a patient. It is also NOT unethical to do so. My insurance company told me the doctor could refuse a referral if he thought it was not important. So that leaves me to believe.. was I not important? Why would he refuse to send a referral under the guise of it being unethical? Couldn't he just have said that he'd rather see me in person.. and left the decision up to me? Was he fishing for that co-pay (knowing I would need to go to a lab, as well as schedule a follow up appointment)? It seems HIGHLY unethical for a doctor to make me wait almost 24 hours for a simple case of strep throat. Its belittling, and makes me feel like Im not a patient, but a paycheck to him and his office. So while he, as a person, is a nice enough guy, I can't say he's a great doctor.

|  did not submit for annual! you will be charged!!  |  show details
by never coming back! on Nov 22nd, 2013

First visit was supposed to be an annual.. Covered by insurance 100%...was told to come in for results was billed for both!!!! Had to pay out of pocket $101.27 to get results read by the first visit which should have been covered 100%. Double dipping if you ask me.

|  Fantastic - So glad I found him  |  show details
by Monica Shepard on Sep 3rd, 2013

Dr. Callahan is the best doctor I could ask for. He seems like he is really interested in what he does. He spends time with patients and puts in a lot of effort to get a grasp of what is going on with them. I have never been to a doctor who questions every aspect of his patients' health the way he does. I even referred my husband, who is very uncomfortable with going to see doctors, but I'm sure he will feel the same way that I do about Dr. Callahan.

|  show details
Jun 6th, 2013

I went in asking for and expecting a preventive physical. Had to have two visits and labs which was ok however I was billed for office visits both times even though I asked staff 3 three times about physical and coding properly for my insurance company. They thought I was rude to question that as the doctor had spent time with me. I thought at least the second visit would be coded as the physical. Also wants me to come back again in three months. Now I'm a healthy individual with nothing wrong. Only requetsed a physical.

|  he was great  |  show details
Aug 3rd, 2012

took time with my elderly mom and listened to every word we had to say and was very careful in his medications.

|  Great Doc  |  show details
Jun 22nd, 2012

Can't get any better....really good Doc and really friendly staff...feel comfortable like you have been there forever...yet professional. Doc is very up to date with his knowledge of medical issues and medications.

|  Terry Auger  |  show details
May 30th, 2012

Most importantly he listens and I knew he was paying attention to what I said, when I would describe symptoms he pursued it further asking me several more questions in order to accurately diagnose me, he is excellent in explaining what he believes is happening I never felt rushed I believe he is the best Dr I ever had and I am 55 yrs old.He is kind compassionate extremely intelligent and if he doesen't know something he refers you to someone who does unlike many Drs I have had that acted as if they knew it all. I just love Dr Callahan and not only have deep respect for him as a Dr but as a human being

|  Excellent MD  |  show details
May 3rd, 2012

Dr Callahan is a very good MD. His staff is improving with the addition of intern receptionists. I do agree with others whoahve said kerri needs imrovement. He is associated with Kent which means he will visit you in the hospital- a plus to have your own MD in the hospital.

|  staff  |  show details
Oct 28th, 2011

DR.Callahan is a wonderful doctor he cares about people who are in pain and gives them the wright medications to deal with pain on the other hand his staff which is sophie made him stop giving pain meds and is now sending people to another doctor how many doctors does a person need

|  Finding a good doctor in RI  |  show details
Jul 25th, 2011

After residing in RI for almost 12 years I can say one of the biggest reasons for moving is lack of quality general practice doctors. Dr. Callahan seems to have finally fit the bill. He's easy to get an appt with, very easy to talk to & actually seems to care along with a great sense of humor (very helpful in a doctor). Hopefully he is a keeper!

|  wonderful doctor  |  show details
Oct 10th, 2010

Dr. Callahan is the best doctor I have ever been to. It is so hard to find a good doctor. I feel lucky that I found him. I am telling my family members and friends about him. I have several family members and friend who have seen him and they have been very happy.

|  disorganized  |  show details
Jul 30th, 2010

I'm not happy when a doctor doesn't know why I'm there when he has scheduled a follow-up. Also confused with paperwork and seemed to me to schedule frequent appointments without a good reason.

|  Mostly Incompetent Office Staff  |  show details
Dec 15th, 2009

Dr. Callahan is a thorough doctor whose care I was completely satisfied with. His office staff, however, is a different story. Keri is completely incompetent, can't schedule appointments correctly, can't enter payments correctly, and can't even leave needed paperwork for someone more able to do the job. She scheduled myself and another new patient for the same time, but never entered either of us into the computer, resulting in a 2 hour wait my first visit. I was billed for a payment that I made, so I dropped off a copy of my receipt to her; she was on a long personal call when I arrived and ignored me and the patient in line ahead of me until she finished the call. If you need to schedule an appointment or handle any billing issues, talk to Sophie, since she seems to be the only one capable of doing anything right there.