Surgical Specialist, Neurological Surgeon
Video profile

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
by Nancy on Apr 2nd, 2015

Dr. McGrail saved my life. A very large tumor was found in the base of my spinal cord that had caused me severe pain for a year. After getting an MRI it was found and my husband researched for a top notch surgeon. He had read the reviews on line and we got in to see him immediately. He has wonderful bed side manners, and was extremely encouraging after the surgery. I heard him say as I was being wheeled out of the operation room that the surgery was a huge success! Just the kind of thing you want to hear after a 4 and 1/2 hour life threatening surgery!!!!!

Kevin McGrail is the BEST! show details Kevin McGrail is the BEST!
by The Hochberg family on Aug 26th, 2014

Dr. Kevin McGrail is the best! He diagnosed my son's Chiari Malformation with syrinx and successfully operated. I was able to speak directly with Dr. McGrail when needed and scheduled the surgery with him directly. All of the staff at Georgetown were kind and capable and the after care was excellent. My son recently had a follow up MRI and there is no evidence of the Chiari Malformation anymore. Dr, McGrail is our hero!! Not only is he an excellent neurosurgeon but he's a really nice guy, too!

Outstanding Surgeon and Physician show details Outstanding Surgeon and Physician
Jul 2nd, 2014

Dr. McGrail is a spectacular surgeon. I had seen two previous neurosurgeons, who told me my brain aneurysm was inoperable. Dr. McGrail told me he could repair the aneurysm. He did and it is gone! I am playing tennis and biking. Thank you Dr. McGrail, you saved my life.

Spinal Fusion show details Spinal Fusion
by John P. Perseo Jr on Feb 15th, 2014

I had never dealt with Georgetown Hospital before. The surgeon who I only met once and was originally suppose to perform my surgery passed away suddenly. Dr McGrail who was to assist the doctor called and said he and the deceased doctor's partner would perform the surgery as scheduled. He said he understood I must feel but asked me to meet him and Dr Kalantar who replaced the original surgeon. After meeting Dr McGrail and Dr Kalantar any doubts I had were negated. I cannot say enough about Dr McGrail excellent communication skills. I would recommend him and Dr Kalantar to anyone.

very good doctor and a good person show details very good doctor and a good person
by issac badbinton on Feb 13th, 2014

i had a very good experience with Dr Mcgrail he was very helfull , he went above and beyond to help me with my situation , he did what need t be done to help me . i greatly recomend him .

Jan 18th, 2014

Excellent physician. Spectacular surgeon.

Dr.McGrail REview show details Dr.McGrail REview
by JMP on Jan 15th, 2014

Dr. McGrail did emergency surgery to remove a tennis ball size tumor from my brain. He did an excellent job and his follow-ups have been something I look forward too. He has excellent bedside manner and is always cheerful. I feel much better after each visit with him.

patient show details patient
Nov 17th, 2013

fabulous dr.

Disappointed! show details Disappointed!
Jun 25th, 2012

He wasn't serious with my case (Lumber surgery) and too much get off different subjects (about the food or personal stuff every time when I seen him). Before and after lumber surgery, I've been suffered constantly painful from lower back though the left leg to the foot for 2 years and the pain never goes aways. I think he did fixed L4, L5 but didn't fixed L2, L3 (from MRI result) that what I believe because why the pain still there and I take Percocet almost everyday :(

Great Doctor show details Great Doctor
Feb 28th, 2012

He saved my life back in 1995.

Wonderful Surgeon show details Wonderful Surgeon
Jul 30th, 2011

Dr McGrail operated on me for a brain aneurysm that was caught before rupture. I have had no side effects whatsoever and am on no medication. Truly wonderful doctor.

by Darren K. Pugh on May 4th, 2011

At the risk of sounding TOO unsophisticated; "the man knows his stuff." My Brother and I have "Congenital Hyrdocaphalus." Dr. McGrail has treated ME, three times in the '90's. I am alive and well thanks to his knowledge, expertise and all other favorable qualities one looks for in a physician.

Best doctor I have encountered show details Best doctor I have encountered
Apr 29th, 2011

I have been going to Dr. McGrail for years and find that he answers all of my questions before I even ask them. He is compassionate and has an amazing bedside manner. He remembers personal details about me even if it has been a long time between visits and they never seem to be the same questions, so I don't feel like they are his "standard" questions. I recommended him to another individual I know with a tumor and would happily recommend him again. Truly amazing. I wish more doctors were as thorough as he is.

The surgeon who saves lives and is probably proud of that show details The surgeon who saves lives and is probably proud of that
Feb 17th, 2011

The doctor is a great surgeon and that's what we needed. Who cares about his initial bedside manner if he can save your relative's life. He will warm up to you and is very encouraging if you give him a chance. I wish everyone was nurturing from the start, but sometimes the best surgeons have other skills that are more important when it comes down to it. He was wonderful and was exactly who we needed for our family!

Nov 23rd, 2010

Words cannot begin to explain the absolute professionalism, skill, care and compassion of this man. He performed emergency brain surgery on me 18 months ago. I am here today with all of my faculties fully functional with no residual side effects at all. He was very supportive to not just me, but also to my family who was suffering from fear of the unknown. I feel very blessed that I was able to have Dr. McGrail perform my surgery. He truly cares about his patients and displays that in every encounter.

awful bedside manner show details awful bedside manner
Oct 4th, 2010

I met with Dr. McGrail when I learned that I have an AVM. McGrail has no bedside manner at all, and tries to compensate for it by shooting one-liners and smiling a lot. "How many children do you have? Three? Well, we really need to take care of this!" So if I had one child would he not?! He refused to give me a recommendation for how I should address my issues and gave me little information for making an informed decision (stay away from "Joe's surgical shack" when looking online, he told me). I was literally numb when I walked out of his office. The experience was absolutely awful

by Linda Shankle on Oct 16th, 2009

Dr. McGrail is such a knowledgeable, caring physician. His bedside manor is so genuine and as a patient, he demonstrates that he really does care about you and your family. He treats you as a person and as a patient you feel relaxed and unafraid. All the staff is very good and personable. I was supposed to be followed by another neurosurgeon, when mine moved away. But it was very obvious he didn't care at all about me, my condition or anything else. I explained to Dr. McGrail the situation and he immediately said he would be very happy to be my physician . i am a nurse and know Neurosurgeons like Dr. Mc Grail are rare and you will feel very secure in his care.

Jan 29th, 2009

assisted primary orthopedist in major back surgery. very supportive during post operative period including several visits to my room during 4 day hospitalization