Orthopaedic Surgeon

15525 Pomerado Rd
Ste A1
Poway, CA 92064
858-485-0050
Locations and availability (2)

|  Doctors Won't Face Their Mistakes  |  show details
Mar 5th, 2014

Dr. Owsley performed knee replacement surgery on my right knee for acute pain, caused by arthritis in Oct. 2013. Another doctor performed the same surgery on my left knee in July 2009. This first surgery was successful and virtually all pain stopped 2-3 months after surgery. The same can not be said about the results of Owsley's surgery and his follow-up care. More than 4 months post sugery, I continue to have moderate to severe pain 75% of the time. I can not walk stairs in a normal manner because I can't put sufficient weight on my right leg/knee (the one Owsley operated on). I have to walk two feet for each stair, going up or down. Two months post-surgery, he felt I should be more fully recovered and became very angry when I told him that I still needed to take painpills. He had been prescribing them for me on a regular basis. He said I was "an addict," though I have never made any effort to obtain pain meds except when prescribed by a doctor for legitimate pain, i.e., my knee problems. I told him I wasn't an addict because I was still had pain from the surgery. He took back this statement about me. My own physician examined me and sent me to another experienced orthopedic doctor out of area for a second opinion. He said I had a weak knee (and weakness in area around the knee). He told me this was not common this long after the surgery; he was reluctant to say negative things about Dr. Owsley, but told me that the surgery had not gone as it should have. He would not admit that there was any malpractice, but said that not all surgeries are successful. When pressed by me, he admitted that the surgery was not performed to the accepted standard of care for this kind of surgery. At this point, I am taking pain pills prescribed by a pain doctor. He gives me a strong, but short lasting pain medication (oxycodone), so my pain level goes up and down. I am seeing this doctor's physician assistant tomorrow, who apparently has prescribing privileges. She is not in the same office with the pain doctor and I have been assured she will prescribe the medication that I am currently taking. My PROBLEM is that I would like to ask for another dose of the pain med per day (4 up to 5 times a day). What I really need, since the pain is not abating, is a long lasting pain med. (oxycontin), but since I am seeing his assistant for the first time I am reluctant to suggest this option. I am also having a follow-up appt tomorrow with Dr. Owsley, an appt that I am definitely not looking forward to. Dr. Owsley has had great success with other patients, but my surgery peformed by him was inadequate. I am reluctant to file a complaint with his group (a large group of physicians with varying specialties, including my primary care doctor). Another doctor who I worked with quite a few years ago in a personal injury case, when I was practicing law, has told me that reporting a doctor could be dicey because other doctors might be reluctant to treat a complaining patient. I have written at some length in this review, but I think it is important to realize that doctors make mistakes and that many if not most doctors have great difficulty accepting that they are fallible humans: this applies particularly to ortho surgeons, many of whom I have learned from several sources, including my own doctor and one of her colleagues, can be extremely sensitive and arrogant, especially when faced with a less than adequate surgical outcome.

|  Musician , Woodworker  |  show details
by William Sharplin on Mar 10th, 2013

This highly skilled diagnostician and sugeon has wonderful chairside manner and shows his compassion. Always grounded and positive. I paid out of pocket, having no insurance, and Dr. Owsley worked with me, providing great pre, operative and post-op care. In vetting my caregiver, I was impressed with his back ground and accolades. Upon meeting him, he was personable, efficient, and most important accurate and skilled. He was also very reasonable. To say I'm happy with the outcome is an understatement. Thank you very much.

|  Meniscectomy success  |  show details
Oct 23rd, 2012

I had my first ortroscopic menisectomy and was pretty scared because I am very active and didn't know what to expect. Dr. Owsley did an amazing job and I'm back to full use playing tennis, hiking, yoga, pilates, working out at the gym, etc., just 3-1/2 months post-surgery. He also removed my plica, which some people say it takes even longer to recover from that, but I've got no pain, no locking. Only a teeny bit of swelling left which I notice when I'm trying to sit on my heels in yoga. That's it. Just wanted everyone to know that this is your doctor, especially for active people wanting to get right back to activity. And I'm 41 too...quick recovery. Oh, and he's easy on the eyes and very sweet but professional to boot.

|  Best Ortho doc in Poway  |  show details
Sep 12th, 2012

Dr. Owsley has repaired my rotator cuff; set a broken ankle and eased my hip pain. I highly recommend this physician for both is diagnostic abilities but his surgical abilities as well.

Aug 20th, 2012

Dr. Owsley is one of the most caring, compassionate physicians I have ever known. He performed knee surgery on my son and my son is doing remarkably well. He's an excellent surgeon but also takes the time to answer all your questions and explain everything to his patients. I would highly recommend Dr. Owsley to anyone!

|  Exceptional Surgeon.  |  show details
Jun 8th, 2012

I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Owsley. You will not be disappointed. He fixed my shoulder better than new.

May 14th, 2012

Dr. Owsley is not only an excellent doctor, but he cares as well. He has treated my whole family and has done a superb job at every appointment.

|  Refreshing personality, great surgeon  |  show details
Nov 14th, 2011

I have suffered with shoulder pain for years. I have been brushed off by two other surgeons. Referred to Dr. Owsley by a friend who also found him humble and honest. He listened to me unlike the other surgeons. He worked quickly to diagnose the problem and surgery was a breeze. My shoulder is nearly pain free and I feel ten years younger. Amazing.

|  WOW. This guy is great!  |  show details
Oct 7th, 2011

An amazing surgeon in addition to a great guy. I had three prior knee ACL reconstructions by other surgeons. Dr. O explained the problem, took me to a quick surgery and now my knee feels brand new. I play competative football and have never felt so good. I owe it to this great surgeon. Thank you Dr.Owsley!!

Aug 24th, 2011

Very caring and listens to your problem. Gives his honest opinion and options without pushing you into a surgery.

|  Dr. Owsley- I owe my normal life to this guy  |  show details
Oct 17th, 2010

I have had knee problems. Some were old, some were new, all kept coming back. AFter several surgeries, i knew i was going to be getting another, as it would twist and give out after making the slightest misstep or walking on uneven ground. LIke twist around, i scream and look who's on the floor kinda give out on me.Dr. Owsley was not super delicate, and he wanted to know if i was willing to work hard to make it heal right. He asked if I wanted to just fix it for now, or if i wanted to take the time and really get my knee stronger than it was before the injuries started. I chose to fix it for real, with work. This guy helped me (not just by performing the surgery on ACL, MCL, miniscus - all torn) but also kept tabs on my rehab and made himself an approver of my routine. He was right. This guy runs triathlons, Iron Mans even, and he knows how important it is to feel healthy and strong. He made it possible for me to get back to that feeling, when 3 other doctors did ok jobs, they didn't do anything wrong, but Dr. Owsley made sure I was going to be ready to do whatever i wanted to do. And he then told me how to do it, enabled me to do it, and then said it was up to me to get it done. I did, and honestly, for the first time in 12 years, my knee is stronger than the other knee, which has never suffered a major injury.Thanks Dr. O!