Obstetrician & Gynecologist

Patient Reviews ? Write a Review

3.0

|  Careless, poor surgeon, many surgical mistakes  |  show details
by cakey81 on Apr 23rd, 2014

Dr. Michelson is NOT VBAC friendly, breech-friendly, natural birth friendly, or friendly at all. She was my OB about a year ago for my first child birth. My husband and I went through Bradley classes to prepare for natural birth. I brought her my birth plan and she seemed ok with it (although she didn't care to discuss it too much). She seemed to sound like natural childbirth was good "as long as everything went alright," but I had a bad feeling that "everything going alright" was a very subjective standard. Despite my fears of her not being very natural birth friendly, I stuck with her (partially because I felt like it was too late to be searching for an OB by the time as getting concerned). All of that to say, my water broke early, the baby was breech, and I had a c-section 4 hours later. Although this was a unique situation that might have resulted in c-section with any doctor, my experience with her afterwards was not good either. I delivered my baby almost 6 weeks early. I spent 4 days in the hospital, brought my son home fromthe NICU after 5 days, and the first full day we were at home all i did was lay around in pain. Finally around 2 p.m. I began throwing up, and then I started calling her office. Her receptionist took my calls, spoke with Dr. Michelsen and then called me back. She told me the symptoms were all normal for constipation, to stop taking any prescription pain meds I was on and just take Tylenol (I wasn't taking any prescription pain meds at that point). I called back a couple hours later, when I was still in pain and throwing up, I begged to come in and see her, but when I told them I had no fever, they (Dr. Michelsen via her assistant) told me it wasn't necessary, it was just constipation. Finally around midnight my mom took me to the ER while my husband stayed at home with our 6 day old 4.5 pound baby by himself. I had an ileus - my colon stopped working. Had I waited another 24 hours I could have died. As it was, I spent the next 5 days in the hospital (3 of which I was in so much pain and on so many meds that I stopped pumping). This experience and time away from my child prevented me from ever really nursing (I never made more than an ounce of milk at a time). All of that to say, I would not recommend Dr. Michelsen to anyone. Although she tries to be nice in person, she does not take time for her patients, snapped on me once when my question caught her off guard, and clearly didn't have time to address my valid concerns after the c-section I didn't want. After visiting another doctor almost a year later, who pulled her 81 pages of surgery notes, I have also realized many, many mistakes (or "unusual") procedures that she put me through. Dr. Michelsen had to make a perpendicular cut in my uterus (a T-incision) because her first incision apparently wasn't large enough to remove my 4 lb baby. This prevents me from EVER being able to have a VBAC (which is saddening to someone who wanted a natural childbirth). This was NEVER mentioned to me by Dr. Michelsen. While in surgery, Dr. Michelsen noticed a fibroid during my c-section and suggested having it removed (even though it had not been symptomatic and would likely shrink after pregnancy hormones faded). This is rarely done because it also causes excess bleeding; however I knew none of this when she asked me (and she did not tell me any of those things). This all took place while laying on the surgery table doped full of drugs, hormones, and adrenaline. So, unable to make an informed decision on the spot, I asked if she recommended it, which she did. So I agreed. Somehow in the process of the c-section and fibroid removal, she pulled out more of my organs and intestines than what is standard in a normal c-section. Awake at the time, I could feel her packing them back in. When I couldn't hold still from the pain they gave me another sedative. Surgically touching, and especially moving around, my intestines is what led to my ileus. So why Dr. Michelsen did not recognize that I was at a high risk for this, I am not sure. Dr. Michelsen was careless, did not inform me of my risks, poorly performed surgery, and refused to see me when I had a life-threatening condition. I would file a lawsuit (and have tried) if the state of Texas did not protect her so well.

|  C-Section  |  show details
Dec 9th, 2011

I did not want to have a CSection but my baby's heart rate dropped with every contraction so we had to have one. The one thing I can say is that Dr Michelsen is AMAZING in the surgery room. She was gentle, and so smooth I didn't even know she had cut until I heard the baby cry. If anyone has to have one I say she is the best!