Urologists
2021 Santa Monica Blvd
Ste 510E
Santa Monica, CA 90404
310-828-8531
Locations and availability (2)

2.5

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Outstanding doctor  |  show details
by Alan G on Apr 28th, 2014

I can't believe I'm reading about the same person in some of the negative reviews. Dr. Kaplan operates at the highest possible level of expertise. His manner is very warm, sympathetic, and reassuring. He's a Type A but that doesn't interfere with his providing very patient, thorough explanations and support. I went to him with a PSA that fluctated between 8-4. He gave me a biopsy, various tests, and concluded that there was no cancer. My PSA hasn't been above 1.8 for years. Dr Kaplan is a treasure and a life-saver.

|  Run AWAY FAST. Get out of office!  |  show details
by Vikki M on Aug 4th, 2013

He is the WORST ever. All he knows how to do is run procedures and look to make money. There was nothing wrong with me and he Scared me into doing a procedure that I did NOT need. He didn't explain any of the side effects from it. And in fact said he was too busy. RUN AWAY FAST from this doctor and get a better one. He is a nightmare! One star is too many for him.

|  More Concern with MONEY than Patient Care  |  show details
May 16th, 2012

Is he competent as a doctor? Yes. Does he understands basic human curtesy, patient's life conditions, mental health, and overall wellbeing that is influenced by their disease? ABSOLUTELY NO. After a long search for the right doctor, and diagnosis, I thought Dr. Kaplan was going to be my savior. Let me be clear, I do think that his treatment does work. But when i realized that all he cares about is money, and not patient care I was very disappointed, and had to drop out because I couldn't afford it and he wasn't willing to cut me any break. I saw him for 5 sessions, three with only a nurse, one with the doctor for assessment, one for treatment, the average appointment was about 5 to 7 minutes. No outside tests, just some muscle relaxation and exercises. The actual urinary treatment did help. Yet overall, when I got my bill it was close to $800.00, my insurance didn't cover it, and I had to apply it towards my deductible. When I explained to the doctor and his staff my financial hardship that was influenced by my diagnosis and asked for some kind of discount or break, he was quick to reject my request. And when I told him that I could not continue if he was going to charge over $300 for a 5 minute office visit, I was clear not to ask for a full pardon or forgiveness, I simply wanted a reasonable fee. But he didn't care and I had to stop my treatment and continue living with my condition in hope to find the right doctor. He wasn't willing to help me out, just collect money. Unless money isn't an issue and you don't care to pay hundreds of dollars for pointless muscle relaxation exercises... Stay away from this doctor and find one with a moral understand for patient care.

|  Kidney issue  |  show details
Jan 17th, 2012

Dr. Kaplan is a very professional and caring surgeon and is highly recommended by other MDs and staff of St. Johns Medical Center. He carefully explains the procedures and spends sufficient time to amswer all questions. His staff is friendly , caring and competent. The wait times are very reasonable for a surgeon with the responsibilities he has accepted.

Jan 14th, 2012

The worst urologist I have been to, and he was the fourth.

Oct 28th, 2011

This Dr has an appalling bedside manner.Regardless of the pressures on doctors,one hopes at the very least for a modicum of understanding and compassion from a doctor.This man appears to have impaired sensitivity and very little ability to deal with human beings.I urge patients to seek out a different physician.

May 13th, 2011

THE MOST AWESOME DR. EVER!!!

|  Great Urologist  |  show details
Jan 4th, 2011

Excellent job of diagnosis. Got me in during the holidays, saw me immediately and referred me quickly to a reasonably-priced CT Scan facility. Excellent diagnosis skill, he had accessed my previous files on his own, even though this was my first visit, which made a big difference in my prognosis. He is said to have both excellent surgical and laparoscopic skills, is a really nice guy, with a calm demeanor. Kudos as well to Kit and Eloy from his office who really helped my out during my Kidney Stone episode. I would definitely recommend Dr. Kaplan and his team.

|  Hideous experience and overbilling  |  show details
Aug 16th, 2010

Okay, first the plus -- Dr. Kaplan figured out my problem, not that it was so difficult (uterine fibroids pressing on the bladder).Where to start with the negatives? My gynecologist referred me to a urologist. I saw Dr. Kaplan one week later. The exam room had a bathroom next to it. There was someone in it and you could hear everything. Bad enough, but it also meant the person in there could hear me, talking about some really personal physical problems. And all during the conversation, Dr. Kaplan was unconsciously picking his nose. Not the most reassuring thing from someone about to do an intimate exam.On to the painful test part. The test room had an exam table with stirrups that put my crotch facing the door. I had to wait 20 minutes with a stick with numbing cream stuck into my urethra. All the while, people kept coming in and out of the room to get things, never mind my exposed genitals facing the corridor.During the test, the doctor noted how full my bladder was. After the test, the nurse was supposed to give me some pyrhiddium to numb the pain of urinating afterward. They were out of the drug. 20 minutes passed while they dug some up. Then they were out of water and it took them 10 minutes more to get me some from the tap. So there was no time for it to take effect before I had to pee and the pain was so bad I screamed.I got the bill from Dr. Kaplan's office and found that he had billed me for a bunch of tests my gynecologist had run the week before. Seriously -- you get referred by a gynecologist after an exam and don't even ask for labs to be sent and then you run chlamydia and pregnancy tests? Don't you think the gyno might have run them? You could have asked me! When I called to ask for the charges to be removed, I got major attitude from his office. After several calls and much wasted time, they credited me for some of the tests. A month later, I got a bill for another $100 and when I called more nasty attitude. I gave up and paid the bill -- it isn't worth the hassle, but I would not go back to Dr. Nosepicker again.

|  Horrible experience  |  show details
by ben on Jul 30th, 2010

It was hastily decided unnecessary surgery. I've been informed by a New Castro Doctor it was unnecessary & has contributed to new complication.It was a crime and has made me wiser & to chose a dr and treatment more carefully.

|  Top notch doctor  |  show details
by Dave Hadley on May 24th, 2010

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer two years ago. Dr. Kaplan said this was an aggressive cancer and needed removal. He operated and I am now cancer free. This year he had to operate to install an artificial bladder sphincter to control incontinence. I think he is an excellent doctor and a credit to his profession.

|  Affective disorder?  |  show details
Apr 27th, 2010

Dr Kaplan refused entirely to discuss the findings of a biopsy with me by phone. When I finally met with him he told me almost nothing, & nothing at all that I hadn't already learned by speaking with other doctors. At one point during our abbreviated appointment to discuss my condition he left the room. After waiting for about 15 minutes I asked one of his staff when he would return & was told he had left for the day. My waiting time to see Dr. Kaplan was once over two hours & was one hour or more each of the three times I saw him. I will never see him again. In my opinion Dr. Kaplan has some sort of affective disorder that prevents him from communicating well with his patients. He has the bedside manner of a washing machine. He made no effort to follow up on my treatment or condition.