Dr. Mohammad Jaafar Is this you?

Have you seen Dr. Mohammad Jaafar?

Good Doctor always we are satisfied. Good service.

Posted on April 17th, 2017

Posted on September 15th, 2015

In 2002-2003, Dr. Mohammad Jaafar treated me with several surgeries, all of which were successful. The surgeries were to remove my opaque lense that was in my left eye due to my eye disorder known as Posterior Lentiglobus

One of the best doctors we have ever seen

Posted on May 20th, 2014

My young son has multiple medical issues stemming from a cancer diagnosis several years ago. His vision has been steadily decreasing since his surgery to remove tumors. We originally saw a doctor at UVA who shall remain nameless, but is supposed a highly regarded doctor. After moving closer to Children's Hospital for treatment and care by the Hem-Onc team there, it was noticed that my son's vision was very poor. We were asked if the previous doctor (who had performed surgery on our son's eyes twice in order to correct a strabismus that occurred as a result of his brain surgery) had ever prescribed glasses. The answer was a resounding NO, which shocked the doctors at CNMC who knew of this docs reputation as one of the best. We were referred to an Opthalmologist at Children's who evaluated our son and referred us to his boss, Dr. Jaafar. From that very first day about 2 years ago, Dr. Jaafar has provided the most professional, compassionate, and honest care that we have probably experienced in our last 5 years of doctor after doctor! He has an excellent bedside manner and is genuinely concerned about making the best decisions for his patients and their families. He fitted our son with glasses and most recently performed two lensectomies on our son. His vision has improved from 20/200 and 20/500 to 20/30 and 20/50!!! He did not rush us into surgery, but rather took the time to make sure that he was 100% certain that there would be improvement. There are not enough kind words in the English language to describe how we feel about this wonderful doctor. Would recommend him every time.

Cataracts

Posted on January 7th, 2014

My newborn daughter was diagnosed with cataracts in her both eyes. As a parent we were shattered and in utter shock. For a moment we were very down until we met Dr. Jaafar. He is a amazing soul and a person. From day one he has been so supportive to us as a young parents. On our first visit he diagnosed that our daughter needs two surgeries to remove her cataract. He understood our pain and guided us in each step. He is a loving and caring character and more importantly a well qualified ophthalmologist in the country. He has written multiple research papers and have been awarded best Ophthalmologist in various years. We have been going to him for past 9 months. On our each appointment he takes his time to examine my daughter's both eyes. She has improved a lot (Alhumdulilah) and there is much more room for her vision improvement. All because of Dr. Jaafar's accurate diagnosis and in depth training/guidance to clean/insertion and removal of lens. As a parent we needed hope, prayers, and a well qualified ophthalmologist. We are lucky to find the BEST doctor in this business. I would highly recommend him.

Posted on August 21st, 2013

Please see earlier review about misdiagnosed cataract, too much prism, all care given to young, non-physician orthoptist, incorrect perscriptions, and general concern. This rating supplements the earlier, more important review that describes this detail, but does not include the scorecard related to wait time, etc., herein attached. Thank you.,

Posted on August 20th, 2013

Dr. Jafaar had no time to finish a first appointment and referred most all of my subsequent care over the next 81 days to his assistant, a young, female orthoptist. My vision in my right eye was changing frequently, which Dr. Jafaar knew about since I gave him copies of about six different prescriptions given me over the past two years. Dr. Jafaar saw me on my first and last visits of an unnecessary five, both times assuring me that it would be 18-20 years before I might need cataract surgery. I presented to him with strabismus (double vision), and a need for prism. His orthoptist recommended 11 prism, which Dr. Jafaar signed off on, although I showed both of them a prescription for 4 prism that had worked well in recent years. (Another doctor told me that the amount changes little over the years.) Dr. Jafaar insisted that I wear his orthoptist's prescription for two weeks, which I did although I struggled to see and was in considerable pain. At my insistence, Dr. Jafaar saw me for the second and last time. At this appointment he told me that there was a "psychological component" as to why I could not tolerate her prescription; then he dismissed me as a patient. Within a month, despite Dr. Jafaar's claims that "an optometrist will initially prescribe too little prism, then charge you, then prescribe more, then charge you, then prescribe more....", I sought the help of an optometrist who, while recommending only 4 prism for me, noticed that my right eye had changed 3 diaopters in several years while the left eye stayed steady. Although he did not dilate my eye, these changes and an abnormality he saw without dilation caused him to suspect cataract. He believed this would explain my difficulty focusing my right eye during exams, which I experienced with Dr. Jafaar and his orthoptist. Soon after, the optometrist sent me to a cataract specialist who measured my glare vision at 20/400 (blind) and removed the "big" cataract from my right eye that had caused my vision changes. I scheduled with another strabismus expert who gauged my need at 3 -- not 11 -- and, after ending an excruciating Jafaar experience, undergoing cataract surgery in both eyes, and getting a correct prescription from another strabismus specialist, months later, I see well. Dr. Jafaar and his orthoptist made another mistake, as well. She wrote a prescription for computer glasses that an Apex optician immediately claimed could not possibly be correct since it was almost identical to my far-vision that at this time measured a myopic 7.5 in my right eye, alone. Together, we called the orthoptist who, noticeably perturbed, refused to change it. I returned the lenses to Apex, never used, since I could not sit far enough away from the computer to see. When I asked the orthoptist to correct the prescription, she said she would not be able to see me for a long time. Dr. Jafaar ignored my written concerns, writing back: "...it is a privilege to be seen by such a professional." When I saw Dr. Jafaar last, he changed that prescription, but 15 minutes after I left his office, he called me on my cell to ask me to return. He had neglected to add his prism count; Dr. Jafaar had signed off on yet another incorrect prescription. My prescription costs for lenses prescribed by Dr. Jafaar and his orthoptist totaled $1,104, which Dr. Jafaar refused to reimburse. At the end of it all, I wonder: "How did this man ever get the position that he holds at Children's Hospital?" and "Who is protecting from him the many non-English speakers and children that he sees?"

Excellent Doctor

Posted on October 31st, 2012

I have been taking my 3 year old granddaughter to Dr. Jaafar for 2 years. He recently did eye surgery on her left eye and I have never been more confident in a doctor/surgeon. He takes time to explain every step and is very patient with my many questions. He is the best of the best.

he should not be a Doctor

Posted on June 6th, 2012

he is not nice with kids or Parenthe has a clear attauide I saw him shouting with another doctorHe came to see my daughter in a very bad mode.VA Parent

Noorah's mom

Posted on November 9th, 2011

Dr. Jaafar has seen my child for years. He is very professional yet human at the same time and easy to talk to regarding my child's needs. If there was a five star rating on this web site, he would most definitely get a five star from me.

One of the best Drs. in Washington DC area

Posted on October 17th, 2011

My daughter has high myopia since she was 1 yr old, she would have lost her left eyesight if it was not for Dr. Jafaar. Before going to him, she was seen by another Dr. I did a lot of search, and found Dr. Jaffar listed under one of the best so I decided to take my daughter for second opinion. I am GLAD I did. I have been taking my daughter ever since, all I can say aout him is he is one of the best Dr.s I have been. Very knowledgale, smart, and very caring about his patients.

Posted on October 20th, 2017