Dr. Neeraja Mattay MD Patient Reviews

Overall Review

3.3

October 21st, 2016
Didn't actually get to see her because I waited nearly an hour, then left
I am NOT reviewing Dr. Mattay because I didn't actually get to see her. I'm complaining about my treatment by the staff. I had an 11:40 am appointment and arrived at the office at 11:25 am. When I arrived, there were about 4 other patients waiting. One by one, they were called in until I was the only one left in the waiting room. I was reading my e-book so didn't realize at first that the staff "leaves" for lunch at noon and puts a sign on the desk saying they're at lunch and to just sit and wait. Once I realized it was already 20 minutes past my appointment time, I got up to look for somebody. I saw a woman sitting around the corner who assured me they were still seeing patients through lunch. I waited 10 more minutes before somebody finally came to get me. She took me to an exam room without a word of apology for being 30 minutes late for my appointment. Since I was there for a full body scan, it meant getting completely naked (save the paper gown) in a freezing cold room. The assistant who had brought me in told me I could keep my socks on since it was so cold in there (!) -- as if a pair of thin cotton socks was going to keep me warm in a freezing room! If you know people have to sit in a room naked, AND you know the room is cold, then you need to provide a blanket for them while they wait. Another 20 minutes went by, with me sitting there shivering cold, and that's when I'd had enough. I got dressed, walked out (just as Dr. Mattay was about to come in) and demanded they refund my co-pay. I understand that medical offices frequently run late with appointments -- sometimes it's unavoidable. BUT, if the staff knows they're running late, then they should have the courtesy to check back with the waiting patients every few minutes to 1) apologize for the delay and 2) to give an estimated remaining wait time. What you DON'T do is let someone sit for a half-hour past their appointment time (whether it's your lunchtime or not). And you don't leave them, naked, in a freezing room for another 20 minutes with nothing to keep them warm and without checking back to keep them updated on how much longer they're going to have to wait. I spent a total of 50 minutes and no one said a single word to me during all that time to apologize for the wait. In fact, no one even seemed to notice how long I'd been waiting at all, which is why no one bothered to apologize for it. I will never make another appointment with Dermatology Associates of Northern Virginia again. The doctors may be top-notch, but the staff doesn't seem to know how to schedule appointments properly and/or doesn't care about paying special attention to patients' wait times when they realize they're running behind schedule. I lost two hours of work today and didn't get an apology until after I stormed out of the exam room and demanded a refund. Then, suddenly, they were very sorry. Well, too little, too late.

March 22nd, 2016
A grateful patient
Always has a full waiting room but there are several Doctors on her staff so that is not surprising. The wait can be a bit much but it's worth it. She is amazing.

October 16th, 2015
not good doc
doesn't call you back and nurses are ignorant, office staff is terrible, mattay is not well versed in conditions or how to help acne.

July 10th, 2015
does not know her stuff. very quick glance and then leaves. does not follow up. does not try to get to bottom of medical issue. staff is disgustingly bad.

January 6th, 2015
Oldenoughtoknow
Although though we've moved more than 10 years ago, we still come back to Dr Mattay. She is excellent, professional and caring.

April 26th, 2012
An absolutely brilliant group of doctors. Have always received a caring and prompt response to all of my concerns. I don't know what I would do without Dr. Mattay. She is an absolute fantastic physician!!

July 2nd, 2011
Twelve yrs ago, Dr Mattay was one of the top rated dermatologists in Northern VA. It's no wonder she's now in the 2 star area. If there were negative ratings, she and her office staff belong there. Several issues:1) While Dr Mattay seems competent, it's very difficult to get to see her. I have a Frankenstein scar on my back from one of her assistants associated w/ a mole removal. Took 3 months to heal, infection etc..2) Her billing office is atrocious. They're notorious for screwing up insurance credits so make sure you check your EOBs before paying.3) The office staff treats you like an illegal alien instead of a trusted, long term patient...Last fall I had 4-5 visits associated w/ the mole removal. I pd bills as EOBs arrived. One of the bills was over 60 days late (which is common for EOB processing) and the office referred me to a collection agency. This is no way to treat a patient of over 12 yrs!!! I'm now seeing another dermatologist.4)In a racially diverse area as Northern VA, it's also interesting that Dr Mattay appears to have only Indian doctors on her staff...

June 3rd, 2011
The Rudest Front Desk Staff EVER
I have never encountered such rude staff at a doctor's office. Not to mention on my first appointment, they literally forgot that I was there. After an hour and a half of waiting, I had to get up and find out what was going on. Then they were rude because I bothered to ask! Dr. Mattay herself was very sweet and kind. I felt like she took the time to hear me out. But when I called to ask a question, the staff, AGAIN were rude. No one called me back for 2 weeks. I am not sure if I am going to go back here or not.

November 30th, 2010
My daughter has been seing this doctor for a long time I have always felt we could get better service if we were going in for any cosmetic procedure. If you are visiting with Insurance card waiting is longer and getting a refill from prescription for me was time consuming and finally I had to drive over to the office and get it myself. Bottom line is if you spend money from your own pocket for cosmetic procedure they are nice . Staff is very rude.

August 24th, 2010
Dr Mattay & the rest of the staff was great!
Looking at all the revies on the web can be discouraging if this is your first time to this office. I am satisifed and what took several derms to figure out what I had--took Dr. Mattay 5 seconds to figure out.

June 1st, 2010
Visit
Good experience

March 11th, 2010
STAY AWAY FROM DR MATTAY
My experience with DANVA & Dr. Matay, & her PA Song-Jin has been nothing but stressful, & a waste of both time & $. The lack of professionalism amongst the office staff & the poor attitude (rude, time wasting, and in general, offensive) was enough to make me question if I should be there. The doctors & the PA (who refuses to stop talking & allow you to speak all the while repeating the SAME things over & over like a bad salesman) are condescending, make you feel like a patient in a factory instead of a caring, warm, attentive environment, & are generally irritating. They have not at this point in time done anything helpful for my skin condition & when you question them about their decisions it becomes clear that unless you're spending the big bucks your problems are no longer important to them. I would tell everyone to look for another dr, especially after encountering someone today who was misdiagnosed by SongJin with a dermatitis of the scalp that turned out to be stage 1 cancer.