Family Practitioner, Primary Care Doctor

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
Very disappointed show details Very disappointed
by Tom Johnston on Nov 16th, 2015

Dr. Kemp may be a fine doctor. I'll never know because I switched doctors are two visits because he simply wouldn't listen. He dismissed anything I said with a patronizing smile. That's unfortunate because I turned out to be right. For example, I told him that I experienced periods of sudden and extreme sleepiness every day. He immediately concluded that I had sleep apnea even though I told him the tiredness seemed to happen after I ate things high in carbs. It turns out that I have Type II diabetes and it was blood sugar swings. I don't have sleep apnea. He actually laughed at me when I told him why I know I don't have it. I told him that I had pain that felt like Kidney pain. He instantly dismissed that and said it was muscular/skeletal. A subsequent urine test showed I have kidney damage. I asked him if it as possible that I have Lymes disease. Two of four of us in my family contracted it on a wilderness trip when we were covered with ticks. Dr. Kemp again dismissed it saying I had no Lymes disease symptoms even though we hadn't even discussed any symptoms. I actually did have well known Lymes disease symptoms although I doubt if I have Lymes disease. But I asked him if a test would be a good idea and he dismissed that instantly apparently just because I asked about it. I told him that, for years, I can't clear my throat. I told him that my previous doctors already gave me an anti-acid to rule out acid reflux and it had no effect whatsoever. Even so, Dr. Kemp prescribed a acid blocker and it had no effect at all. My problem with him is that he simply wouldn't listen. When I said something, he dismissed it with a irritating patronizing smile as if I was an idiot. I just can't work with a doctor like that.

Oct 4th, 2015

Every time I see Dr. Kemp he genuinely cares about what is going on with me and checks in on more than just present conditions. He's a wonderful doctor!

Wonderful, Concerned Doctor show details Wonderful, Concerned Doctor
by Judi V. on Dec 14th, 2014

5 years ago, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis by Dr. Kemp. I went to see him because my right hand was inflamed and painful and my left hand was stiff. We spoke for a while, and he ordered a panel of tests for lupus, RA, and other immune disorders--that day. I have dealt with this disease long enough to know that I am incredibly fortunate to have met with a doctor as knowledgeable and concerned as Dr. Kemp. Too many people who have RA are misdiagnosed or go undiagnosed for years, and that's when they suffer terrible, irreversible damage. Thanks to Dr. Kemp and Dr. Joshi, and now Dr. Rhew, I can manage my disease. Thanks to my current employers, I have some flexibility to see them when I need to--I appreciate that everyone is that lucky.

WORST DOCTOR EVER show details WORST DOCTOR EVER
Aug 26th, 2014

I only rated him one star because ZERO would have been mistaken for unrated. He dismissed me and talked down to me and diagnosed me as FRIGID. Cannot believe he only has one malpractice showing on his file.

Sep 16th, 2013

Dr. Kemp is just plain awful. He has zero communication with his nurses and staff, as well as doesn't even look at any of their notes before seeing you. He is horrible at diagnosing patients, I actually ended up in the emergency room 2 days after seeing him because he told me my bronchitis and sinus infection were "just a viral thing" that would go away on it's own. Then as the follow up to that, he asked me why I went to the emergency room? As if it was my fault he misdiagnosed me. Him and his staff have trouble with ordinary request, like prescription refills. Avoid this doctor at all costs.

Excellent doctor show details Excellent doctor
by JB on Jul 27th, 2013

One of the best doctors I've had. He asked good questions, listened well, and was very personable.

Jul 23rd, 2013

I believe that this man was one of the worst doctors I ever have had treat me...ever. He is pompous and thinks very highly of himself and very little of me as a person. I felt like I wasn't good enough to take his time as I sat there. I had to see him several times, and I began to notice that he would always ask why I hadn't had a breast exam or a pap smear FIRST before talking with me about my reasons for coming to see him in the first place---he had no interest in helping me with those, especially if I had to ask him more than one thing. When I said, "I am sick and I would like to talk with you about that first...don't you care about me?" He responded, "No, I don't." I could not believe my ears...but he really said that! He tried to say that the other things were more important, but the words were out, and his treatment of me supported that comment. I am looking for a way to leave this medical group. My advice is to look elsewhere.

Does not listen to the patient whatsoever! show details Does not listen to the patient whatsoever!
Jul 14th, 2013

Worse doctor I have ever been to. Has a God Complex. Went to him to be treated after hours walk-in for breathing issues and possible recurrent pneumonia and he proceeded to tell me how I could throw out my inhaler because it would not work unless I was asthmatic, how he was going to put me on a Z-pac even though I told him I had been on 2 packs before and they didn't work and that's why my gp put my on levoquin and then proceeded to tell me that for someone "my age" it should work and that was what he was going to do. Would not listen to what I had to say and would not even pay attention to my chart. I think if you went to him he would seem pleasant and treat you as HE SAW FIT. However, if you had anything to say for your own care or prior care you have had, he would ignore you. That is not a doctor in my opinion.