Psychiatrists

97 W Bellevue Dr
Pasadena, CA 91105
626-577-8290
Locations and availability (1)

|  Really helpful for anxiety  |  show details
Aug 19th, 2013

Dr. Shipko did a careful evaluation of my anxiety. He outlined a treatment strategy that worked for me. I am very grateful and would recommend him to anyone with similar issues.

|  Watch Out!  |  show details
by Jessica R. on Apr 25th, 2013

I have seen a couple of psychiatrists to treat anxiety and depression. I also see a talk therapist to help me handle these issues. Dr. Shipko did take a fair amount of time with me but when I asked about his opinion about medication, he said he didn't think I needed it. While he is entitled to his opinion, when I pursued the issue (since I specifically sought out a psychiatrist to help me manage my medication) he accused me of being a drug seeker (not even sure what he meant by that). He told me psychiatric drugs will ruin my life and may cause death in some cases. I asked him why he was a psychiatrist if he is anti-medication which he had no real answer for. I agree that medication is not always the answer but I had been working to manage my conditions without medications with little improvement. He did not seem to listen to or care about why I might need medication. He was against the idea seemingly before he even heard my medical and personal history. Long story short, he is biased against psychiatric medications. If you need or want medication management, absolutely do not see Shipko.

|  show details
Nov 26th, 2012

Terrible experience. Not recommend this doctor at all. Very rude and insensitive.

|  Excellent Psychiatrist  |  show details
Mar 30th, 2012

A terrific doctor. I have seen 4 different psychiatrists in my battle with depression. Most spent 5 minutes, handed me a prescription and I was out the door. Dr Shipko takes the entire hour! He is a caring and good man and this really comes across during our sessions. He does his best to avoid prescribing medication and looks for the minimum dose in order to avoid the long term negative effects these drugs can have on your system. I can recommend him with highest honors.

|  A Caring Doctor  |  show details
Mar 24th, 2012

His office is in an old, comfortable Victorian house. He saw me right on time, and spent a lot of time carefully listening to me before commenting. It was really different from my other psychiatrists. Advice was very helpful. Dr. Shipko clearly cares for his patients.

|  show details
Mar 21st, 2012

He was very considerate and took the time to listen to me describe my issues and we ended up discussing many promising outcomes. Since then I have been back multiple times and I would definitely suggest him, especially to someone who is experiencing panic disorder.

|  Dr. Shipko, the last, if only, genuine psychiatrist.  |  show details
Mar 16th, 2012

Things to consider when searching for a psychiatrist: Do you want a seedy mechanic telling you there's something wrong with your mind, & it never getting fixed -- or do you want an earnest friend ? If you felt inclined towards the second, you better go to Shipko.There are very few psychiatrists who will actually spend to the time get to know their patients, let alone get emotionally invested in your well being. Expressing my problems to Stuart Shipko has genuinely brought a tear to his eye on occasion. His warm demeanor & honesty when under his care helped me overcome extreme issues with anxiety & hopelessness through his unique humanistic approach.

|  Dr. Shipko is different... in a good way.  |  show details
Jan 21st, 2011

Right now, he's not accepting insurance but may be soon. He's worth the out of pocket money, even if you can only see him once or twice. He's got vast experience, has authored books and isn't afraid to go against the establishment when need be. His manner is somewhat matter of fact'ish, but he's very kind and I personally really enjoy his straight-forward, honest approach. To me, doctors are easily rated on two things. 1. Are they talented? 2. Do they care. I'd say about 80% of the doctors out there fail in one of those two areas. (If not more.)Dr. Shipko excels at both. He's vastly talented and you'll find that he really does take ownership of his patients. His work has to be trying, dealing with the kinds of disorders he does... but he never gives you that impression. He sticks with you and helps guide you through all arising issues. He's different, and in my opinion... the kind of doctor that we could use more of.