Orthopaedic Surgeon
850 Boylston St
Ste 112
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
617-732-5322
Locations and availability (2)

3.0

Some ratings provided by DrScore.
 |  Life saver; Incredibly personable bedside manner  |  show details
by Derek Morrison on Jul 27th, 2013

I had the great fortune of "meeting" Dr. Minas after a terrible motorcycle accident. My right foot was so mangled my first stop to the closest medical facility wanted to amputate initially. I was luckily transferred to Brigham & Women’s where Dr. Minas evaluated my injuries and determined he could salvage my foot. Now my foot was incredibly torn-up. It had become pinned between the motorcycle and the vehicle on impact, tearing from the angle, crushed and pretty much off torn off. After approx. 10 surgeries over the course of 12-18 months I blessed to have my right foot intact; no need for prosthetics. During every one of my surgeries, pre & post op, appointments, and through the initial two weeks I spent in a bed at Brigham & Women’s I cannot express my gratitude for how personable Dr. Minas was. Everyday he came by, often multiple times, to check on me and my ever vigilant mother at my bedside those two weeks. He looked me over, covered the medical aspects in conversation but also spoke to me as more than a doctor. He was truly compassionate, caring and always answered questions and put us at ease on every concern. Some of my surgeries, like additional plastic surgery, required different doctors. Even though I was not under his immediate care, Dr. Minas continued to inquire on my well-being. He told the additional doctors of how great a patient; always came by my bed when I was over-night; always made a point to just check in on me as that was just his nature. He is a true care-giver, not a robot as I have seen with some doctors before and after his care. I owe Dr. Minas so much. My accident was in 1993 and I am still active with no issues with my foot. Because of his expertise I enjoy fruitful activities with my kids, ones that would have been difficult had it not been for his dedication. Now with the severity of damage the foot has scars but it still looks like a foot; my foot, not some a prosthetic mechanical foot. I am ever grateful that Dr. Minas took the more challenging road to commit to saving my foot, not the easy road to just amputate as others were so inclined. I can say I truly love Dr. Minas first as a person then as a doctor. He is successful per both these traits. My success was based not only on his medical knowledge but also his never ending compassion. Respectfully, Derek Morrison

|  He maimed me for life.  |  show details
Jun 28th, 2013

I went to Dr. Minas after seeing something on a local Boston news station about how he was taking cartilage biopsies under the patella and growing new cartilage in a a dish. Having knee pain doctors told me was linked to some lack of cartilage in my knee, I thought this was the man to see. It took nine months to get an appointment and when my wife and I arrived with our infant son, we were forced to wait four hours to see Dr. Minas. When I finally did see him, he told me I didn't need the the cartilage replacement therapy, instead I needed a tibial tubercle osteotomy. He told me the surgery was rather simple and I would be up and moving easily within a few months. Long story short, he never checked my bone health prior to the surgery which would later be very important to my lack of rehabilitation. The entire process wasn't pleasant, from the Brigham & Women's staff calling me at 5:30 am telling me I was late for what was an 11:00 am surgery (I was right and they were wrong), "losing" the blood I had banked three weeks prior, which I did need after becoming anemic in the hospital and passing out, to his horrible bedside manner. Most importantly, my bone wasn't healing and the pain hasn't left me for almost nine years now. After being told by Dr. Minas my bone was in fact healed, I was told by Minas to initiate rehabilitation. However the pain never subsided and I'm an athlete who has endured a great deal of pain in my life, though this was something different. Another doctor took x-rays and told me 18 months after the surgery, my tibia hadn't formed a union. I called Dr. Minas and was told by his male nurse that he'd discussed my issues with Dr. Minas and the best thing they could recommend was to re-break my leg. At that point decided to seek a bone specialist help. The bone specialist sent me to an endocrinologist who thankfully determined what was the cause. I had osteopenia and wasn't at all a good candidate for a tibia tubercle osteotomy. They prescribed an Rx for high doses of vitamin D. About six to eight months later my tibia did finally form a union, however this was three years after the surgery and after a great deal of pain in the process. To this day, even when just walking with my children my tibia hurts and badly swells. I've been told to stay away from all physical activity to avoid this horrible pain, though I'm an athlete and I train very vigorously with weights, so this is impossible. My advice to anyone reading this review is to see another doctor. One physician told me he could have done zero to four other less invasive procedures than Dr. Minas suggested. In the end it turned out I didn't need this surgery to rid my knee pain and a strength and conditioning coach determined my physical weaknesses, along with a program to sufficiently build my hamstrings and glutes to alleviate the knee pain. No surgery was ever necessary, especially one involving breaking my tibia and reattaching my tendon. If you are moving forward with any type of bone corrective surgery, everyone should be checked for osteoporosis or osteopenia. I was rather young when I had this surgery, though living in the Northeast and lack of sunlight caused my body to move from healthy and dense while living in California to not so healthy and not very dense.

|  show details
Jun 1st, 2013

Does not care.

|  Very mixed feelings  |  show details
Nov 12th, 2011

I have had several surgeries with Dr Minas. Though I believe that he is a fantastic technician and the surgery went well, followup is a nightmare. It is very frustrating to get an answer to questions pre or postop calls are not returned. Post op it is very challenging to get medication refills...very challenging. Several days can pass before it comes in the mail or not. Calls are not returned and the office phones are turned off at 5pm precisely so regardless how big the emergency there is no one to contact. When you are post op and in pain, there is no one to contact. He is a great surgeon I trust him, but the support staff is just not there.

|  MY BIONIC KNEE  |  show details
Jul 25th, 2011

Dr. Minas performed two surgeries on my right knee a number of years ago, which have enabled me to enjoy an active, athletic life style.

|  Great Doctor  |  show details
Mar 25th, 2009

Dr Minas comes very highly regarded. He specializes in knees, shoulder and back. I beleive the info saying he specializes in foot ankle is incorrect. His bedside manner is excellent as well as his PA's.

|  Frustrating  |  show details
Jan 22nd, 2009

To get a hold of someone in this office is ridiculous, and once there, the wait time is usually over an hour.