Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- Menopause Facts about menopause, including the stages, symptoms, and types.
- Ulcerative Colitis Facts about ulcerative colitis, including causes, signs and symptoms.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Ali R Assefi
Dr. Ali R Assefi, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Fairfax, VA, with another office in Leesburg, VA. His specialties include Internal Medicine and Nephrology. Dr. Assefi is affiliated with Inova Alexandria Hospital, Inova Mount Vernon Hospital and Novant Health Uva Health System Prince William Medical Cntr. Dr. Assefi has received 3 awards. He speaks English.
Book Online Now
Dr. Ali R Assefi has the following 2 specialties
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.<br>These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
A nephrologist is a physician who is specially trained to diagnose and treat conditions affecting the kidneys or renal system.<br>A nephrologist will determine through urine analysis, blood test, X-ray, sonogram, or kidney biopsy how well the kidneys are functioning and will then prescribe a special diet and exercise program, medication or dialysis - a process by which a machine filters the blood when the kidney is no longer capable of doing so.
Dr. Ali R Assefi has the following 15 expertise
- Kidney Biopsy
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Kidney Disease
- Acute Renal Failure (Acute Kidney Failure)
- Heart Failure
- Chronic Renal Disease
- Nutritional Support
- End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD)
- Kidney Dialysis (Renal Dialysis)
Dr. Ali R Assefi is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 4 of 12
Highly competent and efficient!
Self-verified patient of Dr. Ali R Assefi - Posted on February 15th, 2017
Self-verified patient of Dr. Ali R Assefi - Posted on December 4th, 2012
As i was leaving in tears knowing that i would need the kidney transplant or dialysis soon, the front desk nurse in Sterling office rolled her eyes and yelled at me "You are not dying!". Giving 20% chance of death while dialysis every year and the lack of medical options for kidney patients, they might consider stopping shouting at their patients and start searching for a cure.
Self-verified patient of Dr. Ali R Assefi - Posted on December 13th, 2010
My primary care physician, after blood tests, recommended Dr. Assefi.I called to ask when my appt. was ( I called at 10:34) and was told ,"Today ,at 10:30". Well, they were so nice and said to come anyway. The nurse was so sweet a,d Dr. Assefi was as nice as he could be. I later discovered that he is the nephrologist for a neighbor who always has the best medical care available and advice as to what physician is the best in the field. I am not HAPPY with my diagnosis, but feel very confident in Dr. Assefi and pleased that he and his office are so pleasant and friendly. have lived in NYC and LA and have had excellent physicians, surgeons who literally saved my life. I am writing this, because it is difficult to know who is the most competent and if this review helps anyone,I will be very pleased.
Self-verified patient of Dr. Ali R Assefi - Posted on November 30th, 2010
Castle Connolly Regional Top Doctors
Castle Connolly is America's trusted source for the identification of Top Doctors. Their physician-led research team reviews and screens the credentials of tens of thousands of physicians who are nominated by their peers annually, via a nationwide online process, before selecting those physicians who are regionally or nationally among the very best in their medical specialties. Castle Connolly believes strongly that Top Doctors Make a Difference™.
On-Time Doctor Award (2018)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2018)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Dr. Assefi is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Dr. Ali R Assefi accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
Aetna Innovation Health
- Aetna VA Signature Gold HMO
- Anthem HealthKeepers HMO POS
- Anthem KeyCare PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- CareFirst BlueChoice Advantage
- CareFirst BluePreferred PPO
- CareFirst Maryland POS
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry - Bon Secours Tier 2
- Coventry - Southside Tier 2
- Coventry DE PPO
- Coventry Southern Health PPO
- Coventry Virginia - HMO
- First Health PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- Optima Health OptimaFit Direct HMO
- Optima Vantage HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Ali R Assefi, MD - Nephrology in Fairfax, VA, in this video.
Dr. Ali R Assefi is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Fairfax, VA.