Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
Dr. Benn E Smith has the following 4 specialties
- Clinical Neurophysiology
- Neuromuscular Medicine
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Dr. Benn E Smith has the following 13 expertise
- Motor Neuron Disease
- Nerve Conduction Studies
- Alzheimer's Disease
- Speech Disorders
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Electromyography (EMG)
- Peripheral Nervous System Diseases
- Migraine Disorder
Dr. Benn E Smith has 3 board certified specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience
Dr. Benn E Smith is Board Certified in 3 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 1 of 3
Dr. Smith was the worst doctor I've ever met. I saw him on referral from my board certified neurologist for 3+ years of peripheral neuropathy with tests. After a full day work up at Mayo, whose techs had awful testing techniques, Dr Smith determined that the numbness and tingling and pain in both of my feet was "all in my head" and referred me to a psychologist. He dismissed my neurologist's 3 tests as "wrong". What a joke!! I was diagnosed last year with Lyme disease!! I was infected in 1995, I had a classic rash then but never tested. This was about 7 years before I saw Dr. Smith. Lyme disease causes nerve damage, including peripheral neuropathy. DO NOT SEE DR. BENN SMITH! He is a terrible excuse for a doctor, arrogant, self-righteous and does not listen or look at FACTS.
34 Years Experience
University Of California San Diego School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1984
Mayo Clinic And Medical School
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & DirectionsMayo Clinic Hospital, 5777 E Mayo Blvd, Phoenix, AZ
Dr. Benn E Smith is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Phoenix, AZ.