Chronic Dry Eye
Get the facts about chronic dry eye, including the causes, symptoms and doctors who treat this condition.
- Chronic Dry Eye Facts about chronic dry eye, including the causes, symptoms & doctors.
- Contact Lens Care A complete overview of contact lenses.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Gregory P Van Stavern has the following 2 specialties
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
An ophthalmologist has the training to do much more than just prescribe glasses. They are physicians specially trained to diagnose and treat disorders of the eyes and vision. These doctors are experts on the complicated anatomy of the eye and are trained to treat eye diseases through both medical and surgical methods.
Some common conditions that ophthalmologists treat are cataracts, glaucoma, strabismus, diabetic retinopathy, macular degeneration and amblyopia. In addition, ophthalmologists can provide prescriptions for eye glasses and contact lenses and perform LASIK surgery and other corrective surgeries for refractive errors like myopia (near-sightedness), hyperopia (far-sightedness), astigmatism and presbyopia.
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Migraine Disorders
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS)
- Macular Degeneration
- Eye Exam
- Eye Pain
- Vision Issues
- Lasik Surgery
- Alzheimer's Disease
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 9
I was shuffled between 3 doctors before I was referred to Dr Van Stavern. I am so pleased that I ended up in his office. I was taken back earlier than my actual appointment time and was very impressed with how productive my appt was. His entire staff was wonderful, very kind and professional. They even stayed late to run an extra test on me so I didn't have to drive another 2 hours another day just to have it done. He told me he would call me later that evening with results and he did. I feel he was very thorough and listened to my concerns. I can't express enough how happy I am to have found Dr Van Stavern and his staff. After many appts with other doctors, I finally have some answers.
I didn't fit into his categories, so he dismissed everything I had to say, which happened to be the facts. He was sure all previous tests were incorrect, sure I and everyone in my entire family had fabricated that I had NOT had double vision as a child (REALLY? are you kidding? delusions of grandeur maybe?) sure that my lasik was not how I described, was for monovision (it wasn't). Wow, I find him pretty terrifying, actually.
25 Years Experience
Pennsylvania State University College Of Medicine
Graduated in 1993
Medical College Of Wisconsin
Dr. Gregory P Van Stavern accepts the following insurance providers.
- CIGNA PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsWashington Univ-Medical School, 660 S Euclid Ave, Saint Louis, MO
Dr. Gregory P Van Stavern is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Saint Louis, MO.