Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Facts about carpal tunnel syndrome, including the causes and symptoms.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Fibromyalgia Facts about fibromyalgia, including the symptoms and conditions.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Gout Get the facts about gout, including the risk factors.
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Hoke H Shirley III
Dr. Hoke H Shirley III, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Concord, NH. He has 36 years of experience. His specialties include Rheumatology and Internal Medicine. Dr. Shirley is affiliated with Massachusetts General Hospital and Concord Hospital. Dr. Shirley has received 3 awards. He speaks English.
Dr. Hoke H Shirley III has the following 2 specialties
A rheumatologist is a physician who has received extensive training in diagnosing and treating rheumatic conditions. Rheumatic conditions involve the joints, soft tissues, autoimmune system, vascular system, and connective tissues.
Some of the conditions that rheumatologists treat are rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, gout, sarcoidosis, vasculitis, and lupus. These are all conditions that involve a lot of pain and make mobility difficult. Rheumatologists use medications, such as analgesics, NSAIDs, steroids, DMARDs, infliximab, and adalimumab, as well as occupational therapy, in order to decrease pain and improve a patient's quality of life.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Osteoarthritis (Hand and Wrist)
- Rheumatic Diseases
- Knee Osteoarthritis
Showing 5 of 19
I drive almost an hour to see this doctor. I've been threw 4 rhematoligist closer to my house and none of the could diagnosed what was wrong with me. I had two appointments with him and he knew exactly what was wrong and how to treat it. My issue is that I have allergies to a lot of medicines so we treat with what I can take. I personally think he is a great doctor.
Dr Shirley is a saint! He could have an ego, but he doesn't. He always treats me with the utmost respect and concern for my well-being. I have been seeing him for 15+ years and he has always been most generous with his time. He calls you back the same day, too - if you call for something out of the ordinary. (Not his nurse - he calls). You may wait, but it is well worth it. Bring a book and enjoy the quiet.
Regional Top Doctors
Castle Connolly is America's trusted source for the identification of Top Doctors. Their physician-led research team reviews and screens the credentials of tens of thousands of physicians who are nominated by their peers annually, via a nationwide online process, before selecting those physicians who are regionally or nationally among the very best in their medical specialties. Castle Connolly believes strongly that Top Doctors Make a Difference™.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2014, 2013, 2015, 2011)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
Patients' Choice Award (2013, 2011, 2015, 2010)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Dr. Shirley is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
36 Years Experience
Tulane University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1982
Maricopa Medical Center
Dr. Hoke H Shirley III accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem Preferred Blue Network - NH
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS MA Blue Care Elect PPO
- BCBS MA Preferred Blue PPO
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- First Health PPO
- Harvard Pilgrim ChoiceNet HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim ElevateHealth HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim HMO
- Harvard Pilgrim PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- PHCS PPO
Tufts Health Plan
- Tufts Granite Advantage EPO, PPO and Saver
- Tufts Granite Premier Choice EPO and PPO
- Tufts PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsOrthopedic Surgery Center, 264 Pleasant St, Concord, NH
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Hoke H Shirley III in this video.
Dr. Hoke H Shirley III is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Concord, NH.