Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Eating Disorders Facts about different types of eating disorders.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- Food Allergy Facts about food allergy, including the symptoms and signs.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Gout Get the facts about gout, including the risk factors.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. Howard Sawyer
Dr. Howard Sawyer, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Van Nuys, CA. He has 38 years of experience. His specialties include Family Medicine. Dr. Sawyer is affiliated with Valley Presbyterian Hospital, Greater El Monte Community Hospital and Torrance Memorial Medical Center. Dr. Sawyer has received 1 award. He speaks English.
Dr. Howard Sawyer has the following 1 specialty
- Family Medicine
A family practitioner is a doctor who specializes in caring for people of all ages, at all stages of life. Rather than focusing on the treatment of one disease or patient population, family practitioners are often the doctors that people see for their everyday ailments, like cold and flu or respiratory infections, and health screenings. When necessary, family practitioners will provide referrals for conditions that require the expertise of another specialist.
The doctors may also provide physicals, inoculations, prenatal care, treat chronic diseases, like diabetes and asthma, and provide advice on disease prevention.
Dr. Howard Sawyer is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 25
I have bee seeing Dr. Sawyer for 3 years now and think he is a great doctor. I really don't understand the negative reviews that say he's arrogant or condescending... he's always been friendly, patient and very thorough in explaining any of my conditions. In fact I went through 3 other doctors I did not like before finding Dr Sawyer.
I have been with Dr. Sawyer for 15 years or more. There has never been a time when he didn't listen to me. He has consistently referred me to any specialist I needed. He strongly encouraged me to attend an asthma management class once that dramatically helped me to keep my lungs clear, and I haven't had bronchitis since! (I also shared this information with other people who are managing their asthma now, too.) I appreciate Dr. Sawyer's constant interest in education. It makes for better-informed treatment options, which I benefit from. I could never say enough about what a genuine and caring person Dr. Sawyer is. (I have an HMO!)
Patients' Choice Award (2008, 2009)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Dr. Sawyer is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Valley Presbyterian Hospital
Greater El Monte Community Hospital
Torrance Memorial Medical Center
Mission Community Hospital
Providence Holy Cross Medical Center
Monterey Park Hospital
Mission Community Hospital - Panorama City
Northridge Hospital Medical Center, Roscoe Boulevard Campus
John Muir Medical Center-Concord Campus
38 Years Experience
The School Of Medicine At Stony Brook University Medical Center
Graduated in 1975
Dr. Howard Sawyer accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna HMO Deductible Plan CA only
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Savings Plus of CA
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Blue Cross California
- BC CA California Care Small Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Small Group
- Blue Cross CA Advantage PPO Preferred DirectAccess Plus
- Blue Cross CA California Care Large Group HMO
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Individual
- Blue Cross CA PPO Prudent Buyer Large Group
- Blue Cross CA Pathway X PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select HMO
- Blue Cross CA Select PPO
- Blue Cross CA Select Plus HMO
Blue Shield California
- Blue Shield CA Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA Bronze Full PPO 4500
- Blue Shield CA Local Access Plus HMO
- Blue Shield CA PPO
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Access+ HMO 25
- Blue Shield CA Platinum Local Access + HMO 25
- CIGNA HMO
- CIGNA LocalPlus
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Cigna Southern CA Select
- First Health PPO
- Health Net CA HMO Employer Group
- Health Net CA HMO SmartCare
- Health Net CA HMO Whole Care Network
- Health Net CA Individual and Family PPO
- Health Net CA PPO
- Health Net EPO - PureCare One Small Business
- Health Net PureCare HSP Individual and Family Plans
- Health Net SmartCare Large Group
- Health Net SmartCare Small Group
- UHC SignatureValue Flex1
- UHC SignatureValue Flex2
- UHC SignatureValue Focus
- UHC West SignatureValue Alliance
- UHC West SignatureValue HMO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Options PPO
Locations & Directions14600 Sherman Way, Van Nuys, CA
Dr. Howard Sawyer is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Van Nuys, CA.