Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Facts about carpal tunnel syndrome, including the causes and symptoms.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- Fibromyalgia Facts about fibromyalgia, including the symptoms and conditions.
- Flu Facts about influenza (flu), including symptoms and vaccines.
- GERD Get the facts about gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Gout Get the facts about gout, including the risk factors.
- Lupus Get the facts about lupus, including symptoms, risk factors, and the different types.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. James C Sutherland Jr
Dr. James C Sutherland Jr, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Mechanicsville, VA. His specialties include Internal Medicine and Rheumatology. Dr. Sutherland is affiliated with Memorial Regional Medical Center, Henrico Doctors' Hospital and CJW Medical Center - Johnston Willis Hospital Campus. Dr. Sutherland has received 1 award. He speaks English.
Dr. James C Sutherland Jr has the following 2 specialties
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
A rheumatologist is a physician who has received extensive training in diagnosing and treating rheumatic conditions. Rheumatic conditions involve the joints, soft tissues, autoimmune system, vascular system, and connective tissues.
Some of the conditions that rheumatologists treat are rheumatoid arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, gout, sarcoidosis, vasculitis, and lupus. These are all conditions that involve a lot of pain and make mobility difficult. Rheumatologists use medications, such as analgesics, NSAIDs, steroids, DMARDs, infliximab, and adalimumab, as well as occupational therapy, in order to decrease pain and improve a patient's quality of life.
- Knee Osteoarthritis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Rheumatic Diseases
- Osteoarthritis (Hand and Wrist)
Showing 5 of 14
I've been seeing him for about a year trying to figure out what exactly is going on. I'm in the early stages of a likely auto-immune issue. I feel he's done a good job managing me during this process and treating my symptoms. Good bedside manner. Sometimes I would like more of a forecast of what's ahead based on his years of experience but overall I like him. I don't like the office staff as much. I always ask for the earliest available appt. I think they give me a time that is 30 minutes early just to keep the doc happy. I always must wait about 30 minutes for him to come and get me so I assume it's really an 8:30am appt and they are telling me 8am. I hate this. Also, they are the only medical office I deal with that refuses to accept a credit card payment by phone after a bill is received. Lame excuse that they can't do that. Every other retailer and doc office can, but they can't? For an office dealing with people going through tough medical issues, they seem very inconsiderate.
I get the impression from the doctor that I am a "problem patient", although I very rarely call in and keep all of my appointments. My autoimmune illness over the past 5 yrs has added symptoms and additional diagnoses (diagnosed by other doctors), and while he will confirm the diagnosis there is no information given on treatment, prognosis, or anything that I can do to make things better. My last visit was the final straw as he relayed to me through the nurse the name of what I had, no instructions on treatment or what it was, and when I went home and Googled it I was scared to death. No more.
Dr. Sutherland is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
- Virginia Commonwealth University School Of Medicine
Pike County Memorial Hospital
Dr. James C Sutherland Jr accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
- Anthem HealthKeepers HMO POS
- Anthem KeyCare PPO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry - Bon Secours Tier 2
- Coventry Southern Health PPO
- Coventry Virginia - HMO
- First Health PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- UHC Choice Plus POS
- UHC Navigate HMO
- UHC Navigate POS
- UHC Optimum Choice Preferred POS
- UHC Options PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsArthritis Specialists, 8201 Atlee Rd Ste B, Mechanicsville, VA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. James C Sutherland Jr in this video.
Dr. James C Sutherland Jr is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Mechanicsville, VA.