Vitals cannot verify whether or not this professional is currently practicing. We recommend that you attempt to contact the provider to verify their status. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any additional information.
Get the facts about lung cancer, including how many people get it and what increases your risk for developing it.
- Lung Cancer Get lung cancer facts, including risk for developing it.
- Arrhythmia Facts about arrythmia, inclding the types, symptoms and causes.
- Atrial Fibrillation Facts about atrial fibrillation, including symptoms and risk factors.
- Chemotherapy A breakdown of the types of chemotherapy & potential side effects.
- Coronary Artery Angioplasty with Stent Coronary artery angioplasty with stent facts, including who needs it.
- Coronary Heart Disease Get the facts about coronary heart disease.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis Facts about deep vein thrombosis (DVT), including symptoms & causes.
- Erectile Dysfunction Facts about erectile dysfunction (ED), including causes.
- High Blood Pressure Facts about high blood pressure; its causes and complications.
- High Cholesterol Facts about high cholesterol, including risk factors for getting it.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
About Dr. John Schmedtje Jr
Dr. John Schmedtje Jr, MD is a Doctor primarily located in Roanoke, VA, with another office in Roanoke, VA. He has 32 years of experience. His specialties include Cardiology and Nuclear Cardiology. Dr. Schmedtje is affiliated with Carilion Stonewall Jackson Hospital, Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital and Carilion Giles Memorial Hospital. He speaks English.
Dr. John Schmedtje Jr has the following 2 specialties
Cardiologists are doctors who specialize in the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of conditions related to the heart and blood vessels.
A patient may be referred to a cardiologist if he experiences symptoms like chest pains, shortness of breath, dizziness, or high blood pressure. The physician will then evaluate your symptoms, take your health and family history and your weight. The cardiologist may order additional diagnostic tests, such as an echocardiogram, X-ray or blood tests. If necessary, the cardiologist may also call for a cardiac catheterization - a procedure in which a small tube is inserted into or near the heart that can take pictures of the heart's activity, or relieve blockage.
Once determining whether there is a heart condition, a cardiologist will treat a patient through cholesterol management, cardiac rehabilitation, and fitness. If surgical intervention is required, like open-heart surgery, a cardiologist will make that determination, but a cardiothoracic surgeon will perform the procedure.
- Nuclear Cardiology
Rooted in general cardiology, nuclear cardiologists specialize in a specific, non-invasive imaging technique that's used to diagnose heart disease, evaluate how well your heart is pumping blood, or determine the size and place of a past heart attack.
They’re able to take pictures and video of your heart during stress tests, and in resting states, that allow them to diagnose patients as well as recommended treatments, medication and additional testing that might be needed. They often work closely with radiologists to assess the damage of a past heart attack or the patient's risk for future heart attacks.
- Acute Coronary Syndrome (ACS)
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Heart Block
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- High Cholesterol (Hypercholesterolemia)
- Unstable Angina
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 1 of 1
Dr. Schmedtje is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
Carilion Stonewall Jackson Hospital
Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital
Carilion Giles Memorial Hospital
Carilion New River Valley Medical Center
Montgomery Regional Hospital
Pulaski Community Hospital
Carilion Medical Center
Lewis-Gale Medical Center
Carilion Franklin Memorial Hospital
Carilion Health System
LewisGale Medical Center
Carilion Roanoke Community Hos, Roanoke, Va
32 Years Experience
Graduated in 1981
Dr. John Schmedtje Jr accepts the following insurance providers.
- View by Location
Locations & Directions
Take a minute to learn about Dr. John Schmedtje Jr in this video.
Dr. John Schmedtje Jr is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Roanoke, VA.