Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease in which your body is unable to maintain a normal blood sugar (glucose) level.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Gastric Cancer Facts about Gastric Cancer, including symptoms and treatment
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Colorectal Cancer Facts about Colorectal cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Book Online Now
Dr. Luz F Alvarez has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.<br>These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Luz F Alvarez has the following 10 expertise
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Celiac Disease
- Abdominal Pain
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Hepatitis C
Dr. Luz F Alvarez is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 3 of 4
Self-verified patient of Dr. Luz F Alvarez - Posted on May 27th, 2015
I have been to Dr. Alverez many time and she is one of the best Dr's around. I would not trust my health care for internal problems with anyone else. She never rushes me and after several colonoscopies she is always right there both before and after the surgery and her bedside manner is superb!!.
One of these days I would like to meet her rather than an nurse
Self-verified patient of Dr. Luz F Alvarez - Posted on June 13th, 2013
I can't really say, after several visits and procedures, I found her to be one of the most distant and uncompassionate doctors I have ever met, or more accurately NEVER met, except for a wave before my procedures. She tends to cancel appointments even when well scheduled in advance and yet has no problem having patients wait well up to an hour to have the privilege of meeting with a NP or nurse. If you are late or cannot make an appointment, she WILL charge you $25.00
won't go back
Self-verified patient of Dr. Luz F Alvarez - Posted on October 26th, 2009
33 Years Experience
State University Of New York Upstate Medical University
Graduated in 1985
Albany Medical Center
Dr. Luz F Alvarez accepts the following insurance providers.
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
Capital District Physicians Health Plan
- CDPHP HMO
- CDPHP New York State of Health - Small Business
- CDPHP PPO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
- Empire Prism EPO Blue Priority
- Excellus BluePPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
MVP Health Plan
- MVP HMO
- MVP Premier Plus HMO Small Groups
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
Locations & DirectionsLUZ FABIOLA ALVAREZ MD, 434 S Kingsboro Ave, Johnstown, NY
Dr. Luz F Alvarez is similar to the following 4 Doctors near Johnstown, NY.