Get the facts about bipolar disorder, including the different types and symptoms of each.
- Bipolar Disorder Facts about bipolar disorder, including different types and symptoms.
- ADHD Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), including the different types and who gets them.
- Adult ADHD Facts about attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults.
- Alzheimer's Disease Facts about Alzheimer’s Disease, including the symptoms and stages.
- Autism Spectrum Disorder Get the facts about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
- Chronic Pain Facts about chronic pain, including body parts most commonly affected.
- Clinical Depression Clinical depression facts; symptoms & other depressive disorders.
- Depression Facts about depression, including the symptoms of the condition.
- Diabetic Neuropathy Facts about diabetic neuropathy, including the symptoms and doctors.
- Epilepsy Facts about epilepsy, including different types, symptoms and causes.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Marcia J Adelman has the following 2 specialties
A psychiatrist is a doctor with specific training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness.
He or she can not only provide the counseling necessary to both diagnose and treat a patient, but can also prescribe medication when needed. In some cases, a psychiatrist will only provide the medication and the counseling will be provided by another healthcare specialist, like a certified counselor or psychologist.
Like other doctors, psychiatrists employ diagnostic tools like CT scans and MRI in order to observe the structure and function of a patient's brain.
Once a diagnosis is made, these specialists may use behavior or cognitive therapy in order to address the patient's condition, or a multitude of other types of therapy, in conjunction with or in place of medication.
A neurologist is a physician who diagnoses and treats disorders of the nervous system which is comprised of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. These doctors do not perform surgery, but refer patients to neurological surgeons when they determine that surgical intervention is necessary.
Some of the conditions that neurologists diagnose and treat are epilepsy, aneurysms, hydrocephalus, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke, spinal disc herniation, and spinal disease.
In addition to using diagnostic tests like MRI, CT scans, EEG and EMG, neurologists also employ neurological testing to gauge muscle strength and movement, balance, reflexes, sensation, memory, speech, and other cognitive abilities.
Dr. Marcia J Adelman has the following 12 expertise
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Mood Disorders
- Depressive Disorder
- Manic Depressive Disorder
- Sleep Disorders
- Personality Disorder
- Bipolar Disorder
- Mental Illness
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
Dr. Marcia J Adelman has 1 board certified specialty
Dr. Marcia J Adelman is Board Certified in 1 specialty
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 6
I have never worked with a psychiatrist like Dr. Adelman. She is kind and caring, she is insightful, yet allows me to think for myself and have input into my treatment.It is reassuring to be able to contact her by email and she never made me feel like I was a bother to her. I miss her so much these days, she was a real person who treated me like a real person. And I wish she was still here. But I want for her to be happy, so hope she is happy in Ohio.
I have seen a number of psychiatrists in Maryland and DC over the past 7 years, both men and women. It wasn't until I saw Dr. Adelman that my life got better. Don't waste years of your life like I did - most of the other psychiatrists are awful. Dr. A is the best one you're going to find around here - PERIOD.
I have been misdiagnosed for years---everything from depression to ADD to OCD to everything else...finally Dr. Adelman has given me what seems to be the right diagnosis. You can't get the right treatment until you get the right diagnosis, so things are getting better finally. She says her favorite thing is to treat bipolar disorder, but she is really good at just making a diagnosis and following up with me. She is easy to talk to, not pretentious like other doctors, and I can reach her all the time by email if I have questions. It takes a few days to get an appointment---but do you really want to go see a doctor who is so un-busy that they have an appointment tomorrow? Good doctors are busy, but she is worth the wait.
Patients' Choice Award (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011)
Patients' Choice recognition reflects the difference a particular physician has made in the lives of his/her patients. The honor is bestowed to physicians who have received near perfect scores, as voted by patients.
Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2010, 2011)
Compassionate Doctor certification is granted to physicians who treat their patients with the utmost kindness. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and bedside manner scores.
29 Years Experience
Georgetown University School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1989
Georgetown University Medical Center
Please contact the office for more information.
Locations & DirectionsMarcia Jane Adelman Md, 4104 Germantown Pike, Dayton, OH
Dr. Marcia J Adelman is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Dayton, OH.