Get the facts about birth control so you can decide which type is right for you.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Binge Eating Disorder Facts about binge eating disorder, including symptoms and causes.
- Bowel Incontinence Facts about bowel incontinence, including causes & who's most at risk.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation Learn about chronic idiopathic constipation, including treatment
- Colonoscopy Facts about colonoscopy, including how and why it's done.
- Colorectal Cancer Facts about Colorectal cancer, including symptoms and treatment options
- Crohn's Disease Facts about Crohn’s Disease, including how it affects the body.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Marie Sharkey has the following 2 specialties
A gastroenterologist is a specialist in diagnosis and treatment of conditions involving the digestive/gastrointestinal (GI) tract. These doctors are experts on how food moves through the digestive system and is chemically broken down, with nutrients being absorbed and waste excreted. You might see this kind of doctor if you are experiencing any number of stomach issues, some of which might be severe diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, ulcers, acid reflux, Crohn's disease and more.
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
Dr. Marie Sharkey has the following 10 expertise
- Abdominal Pain
- Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Acid Reflux Disease (Gastroesophageal Reflux / GERD)
- Celiac Disease
- Hepatitis C
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Ulcerative Colitis
Dr. Marie Sharkey is Board Certified in 2 specialties
See the board certifications this doctor has received. Board certifications provide confidence that this doctor meets the nationally recognized standards for education, knowledge and experience.
Showing 5 of 13
Dr Sharkey was very personable and helpful . I would recommend her to everyone.
I recently had the displeasure of having Dr. Sharkey perform an EGD. I mistakenly took her poor attitude as a lack of people skills during my pre-procedure appointment. However, when following the procedure I had stabbing esophageal pains, I followed the instructions on my discharge sheet and called her office. She informed me that it was impossible that I could be having any such pain from her procedure and that it must be something completely unrelated and that if I was really in that much pain I should just go to the emergency room. I explained that I could not afford to go to the ER and that the discharge papers had said to call her. She then proceeded to tell me in a sing-song-y baby voice that if I did indeed have a perforation that I could expect to have a high temperature and vomiting and hung up on me. I did end up going to the ER and they said my symptoms were consistent with people who had had tubes in their throat.
On-Time Doctor Award (2014, 2016)
Vitals On-Time + Promptness Award recognizes doctors with consistent high ratings for timeliness of appointments. The honor is granted based on a physician's overall and promptness scores.
Dr. Sharkey is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
37 Years Experience
University Of California Davis School Of Medicine
Graduated in 1980
Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
Dr. Marie Sharkey accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna Managed Choice POS Open Access
- Aetna Signature Administrators PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry - Bon Secours Tier 2
- Coventry - Southside Tier 2
- Coventry Southern Health PPO
- Coventry Virginia - HMO
- First Health PPO
Locations & DirectionsLEWISGALE PHYSICIANS SALEM CAMPUS EAST, 1802 Braeburn Dr, Salem, VA
Take a minute to learn about Dr. Marie Sharkey in this video.
Dr. Marie Sharkey is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Salem, VA.