Get the facts about lung cancer, including how many people get it and what increases your risk for developing it.
- Birth Control Facts about birth control to help decide which type is right for you.
- Lung Cancer Get lung cancer facts, including risk for developing it.
- Metastatic Melanoma The facts about metastatic melanoma, a serious skin cancer.
- Skin Cancer Get the facts about skin cancer, including the types and symptoms.
- Type 2 Diabetes Basic facts about type 2 diabetes & risk factors to be aware of.
- Breast Cancer Breast cancer facts, including risks for developing it.
- COPD Get the facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including symptoms and complications.
- Cancer Get the facts you need about cancer.
- Chemotherapy A breakdown of the types of chemotherapy & potential side effects.
- Diabetic Macular Edema Facts about diabetic macular edema, including the different types.
- View All Care Guides Prepare for your next visit with our extensive library of Care Guides
Dr. Mario R Velasco Jr has the following 2 specialties
- Internal Medicine
An internist is a physician who focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect the adult population—both acute and chronic.
These doctors are often who adults see as their primary physicians because they treat a broad range of illnesses that do not require surgical or specialist interventions. They also work to help a patient maintain optimal health in order to prevent the onset of disease.
In addition to treating the common cold and flu, internists also treat chronic diseases like diabetes and heart disease.
- Medical Oncology
Think of an oncologist as your main physician for cancer care. After being diagnosed, you’ll meet regularly with an oncologist to explore and manage your treatment options, as well as monitor your condition throughout the process. Medical oncologists are extremely knowledgeable in various types of cancer treatment and can recommend the right method for the type and stage of cancer you’re facing.
They may also refer you to additional specialists throughout your care, but they will always be your home base for questions and support. It’s also worth mentioning that medical oncologists deal mostly with solid tumors while hematologists specialize in cancers that involve blood disorders, such as leukemia.
Showing 5 of 8
I've been going to oncologists since I first had cancer in 1994. I was first diagnosed in Chardon, Ohio and then followed up with Cleveland Clinic. Let me tell you that Dr. Velasco is every bit as good as the best Doctors I've seen except is is better and more caring individual rather than the robot stereotypes. If you want a Great Doctor, then Dr. Velasco should be you choice. Dwayne Manley
Doctor Velasko has been treating my dad for several months. His professionalism is outstanding, but his concern for my dad and his devotion to helping him is beyond measure. My dad has multiple myeloma so it cannot be cured. But Dr. Velasko is working with him to make his life as comfortable as possible. Our family has total faith in the doctor and respect for the way he treats the entire family. We are grateful that he was recommended to us and believe he is one of the best!!!
Dr Velasco treated my father for about 4 years for his cancer. With all the other patients he had, he managed to make all of us feel cared for and cared about. We believed that he saw us a people who he genuinely wants to help out of this terrible situation. He also realizes that there is a much higher Physician who makes the ultimate decisions on who lives or dies & encourages his patients so see spiritual comfort and wisdom as well. We just saw him 3 years after my dad's death in a different town with his family. I said hi to him & he recognized me & my mom. He even gave us hugs. Great doctor but even greater man!
Dr. Velasco is affiliated (can practice and admit patients) with the following hospital(s).
18 Years Experience
University Of Texas Southwestern Medical School
Graduated in 2000
University Of Texas Health System
Dr. Mario R Velasco Jr accepts the following insurance providers.
- Aetna HMO
BCBS Blue Card
- BCBS Blue Card PPO
- BCBS IL PPO
- CIGNA Open Access Plus
- CIGNA PPO
Coventry Health Care
- Coventry Health and Life IL PPO
- Coventry HealthAmerica PPO
- Coventry IL PPO
- Coventry MO HMO POS
- Coventry MO PPO
- Coventry PPO Platinum
- CoventryOne PPO Network
- First Health PPO
- Health Alliance HMO/POS
- Health Alliance PPO
- HealthLink PPO
- Humana Choice POS
- Humana ChoiceCare Network PPO
- Multiplan PPO
- PHCS PPO
- View by Location
Locations & DirectionsCancer Care Specialists Of Illinois, 210 W McKinley Ave # 1, Decatur, IL
Dr. Mario R Velasco Jr is similar to the following 3 Doctors near Decatur, IL.